Do you wish you could let your dog run around but there’s no way you could ever afford to put in a fence? This article will show you five rectangular wireless fences that won’t break the bank.
Table of Contents
- The Top 5 Wireless Dog Fences for Rectangle-Shaped Yards
- In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Choices
- Top Pick – SportDOG In-Ground Fence System
- Runner Up – WIEZ Dog Fence
- Best for Small Yards – PetSafe Stay & Play Dog Fence
- Best for Bigger Dogs – Extreme Dog Fence
- Can You Make Other Shapes with a Wireless Fence?
- How Do You Stop Attenuation?
- Do Wireless Dog Fences Work with Other Animals?
The Top 5 Wireless Dog Fences for Rectangle-Shaped Yards
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
In a Hurry? Here’s Our Top Choices
Top Pick – SportDOG In-Ground Fence System
While it might be a bit more expensive than some of the competition, the SportDOG kit offers some really great features. For one thing, it’s expandable.
You could add additional wire and cover 100 acres if you wanted to, but most pet owners won’t need this. The collar transmitter can sometimes last up to a whole year without recharging, and it features a wire break alarm.
Most importantly, it offers several levels of correction. You can set the collar to make an irritating tone or vibration pattern instead of administering shocks.
This is great for those with younger dogs or anyone that wants to ease them into the idea of staying within a certain line.
- Easy-to-install containment kit includes everything needed to cover 1 1/3 acres of land for one dog; can be expanded to cover 100 acres with more wire and flags (sdf-wf)
- Waterproof collar takes standard 9-volt battery (included) that lasts 6-12 months; Fits dogs 10 pound And up
- Contain an unlimited number of dogs with additional collars (sdf-r)
- Collar gives Tone (beep) and vibration (Buzz) warning before moving to one of four static stimulation levels (you choose the best level for your dog)
- Transmitter features wire break alarm and built in Lightning Protector
- Supports lots of aftermarket add-ons
- Covers a huge area
- Includes wire break alarm
- Fits dogs 10 lbs. and up
- Collar needs a 9-volt battery
- Wire has to be carefully installed
- Installation takes a while
Runner Up – WIEZ Dog Fence
Not many other wireless systems include a techie microwave-based radio like the WIEZ model. This makes it somewhat more flexible than many other wireless fences.
It comes with built-in rechargable batteries so you won’t have to worry about swapping anything out after a long play date. The unique design even makes it easy to install, since it doesn’t have to be deeply sunk or buried.
- 2.4GHz collar won’t interfere with other pet owners
- Works in the rain
- Takes some tweaking
- Doesn’t fit all dogs
Best for Small Yards – PetSafe Stay & Play Dog Fence
You won’t have to bury a single wire when you assemble the Stay & Play fence, but that doesn’t mean it can’t protect up to a full ¾-acre of yard space. The kit comes with a waterproof collar, which can fit necks as large as 28 inches.
Unlike most fence kits, it won’t apply correction when your dog is returning home and crosses over the boundary line. That makes it perfect for those with huge yards and energetic dogs.
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (22-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
- NO WIRE TO BURY: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
- 5 LEVELS OF CORRECTION: The system features 5 levels of static correction plus a tone-only mode
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- STAY & PLAY COLLAR: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 lb and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches
- Collar battery lasts up to 3 weeks
- Can manage more than one pet
- Covers up to 210 feet
- Personalized Settings
- Needs to be close to an outlet
- Must be at least five feet from metal objects
- May need additional base units
Best for Bigger Dogs – Extreme Dog Fence
Do you have a huge dog? If so, then you’ll want to give this one a try.
Some people have reported that it works with 150-200 lbs. dogs! Most owners won’t need anything that size, but it makes it perfect for farmers. The fact that it can support up to six acres should please that segment of the market as well.
- 🎖️ Improved: The 2nd Generation eXtreme Dog Fence STANDARD GRADE Kit Covers Up to 6 Acres. The Updated Electronics are Designed for Compatibility with New Collar Options. 3 Antennas, 12x Battery Check, +More
- 🎖️ Waterproof and Submersible: Most Other Inground Dog Fence Systems Claim to be "Water Resistant". The eXtreme Dog Fence Includes a Collar Receiver that is COMPLETELY Waterproof, and Can be Submerged up to 10' Deep. Your Dog Can Swim with the Collar on and Won't Affect it's Functionality
- 🎖️ Standard Fence Kit Includes: 20 Gauge High Tensile Boundary Wire with Heavy Protective Jacket, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Training Flags and Splice Kits
- 🎖️ Guarantee: This Underground Dog Fence Includes a 1 Year Warranty. When You Register Your Fence, Your Warranty eXtends to 5 Years. This Fence WILL Contain Your Dog and has Been Manufactured for More than 25 Years and Carries a Stellar Reputation for Reliability and Performance
- 🎖️ U.S.A. : These Electric Fences for Dogs Are Proudly Manufactured in the Good Old United States of America. We are Standing By to Provide You Top Level Assistance and Support in Setting Up Your Fence, Training Your Dogs and Puppies, or Troubleshooting Any Issue that Comes Up
- Covers large area
- Submersible to 10 feet
- Made domestically
- Can’t work above ground
- Heavy wire
- Boundary needs edging
Can You Make Other Shapes with a Wireless Fence?
If you have a weird-shaped yard, then you can usually run the fencing wires in whichever way happens to be convenient. Make sure you don’t run them close to any metallic objects in the process, however.
Wireless dog fences use radio waves, which means that pretty much any conductor of electricity can suddenly become part of the fencing system!
You’ll also want to make sure that you don’t bend any of the equipment out of shape in the process. While they’re made to take some abuse from dogs, these fences tend to be somewhat delicate.
How Do You Stop Attenuation?
Some pet owners complain about attenuation, which refers to a problem where the fence’s signal strength gets weak at some points. You can partially prevent this by making sure your wires aren’t left baking out in the sun, which causes them to work much less efficiently.
Pay attention to how much area your system is supposed to cover, too. Most pet owners who complain about this issue are trying to manage a bigger area than their fences can handle.
Do Wireless Dog Fences Work with Other Animals?
Some manufacturers actually certify their wireless fences and collars for use with cats as well as other pets. Back in 2016, the University of Lincoln found that wireless fences were safe to use on cats.
Just like when you pick a fence for a dog, you’ll want to make sure that the collar is sized right and doesn’t provide too much of a shock.