Are you have trouble keeping your dog on your property but having traditional fence is out of the question due to the size of your yard? This is not an uncommon problem, and a 5-acre wireless dog fence may be the solution that you need.
Table of Contents
- The Best 5-Acre Wireless Dog Fence Reviews
- Top Pick: Pet Control HQ Wireless Dog Fence
- Best for Small Dogs: PetSafe Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence
- Best for Stubborn Dogs: PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence
- For Odd-Shaped Yards: Standard Grade Underground Dog Fence
- Best for Large Dogs: JUSTSTART Wireless Dog Fence
The Best 5-Acre Wireless Dog Fence Reviews
Exploring some reviews can help you to see which wireless dog fences are available so that you can narrow down the best options for you and your dog.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Top Pick: Pet Control HQ Wireless Dog Fence
The Pet Control HQ Wireless Dog Fence allows you to train up to three dogs at the same time. Choose from 10 correction and vibration levels for the training process.
The collars are waterproof and rechargeable. With 492 feet of boundary wire and 50 training flags, you can create a very large space for your dogs to move around.
You can change the frequency if there is interference with another wireless dog fence close by.
- WIRELESS DOG FENCE SYSTEM IN ANY YARD: Pet parents with large yards and complicated spaces say this combination of a wireless pet training system and custom above or below ground wired design gives them peace of mind that their best friend has up to 10 acres of safe roaming. Outdoor your dogs stay in the safe zone
- DUAL ZONE PET CONTAINMENT SYSTEM: Enjoy the benefits of an easy-to-layout dog wireless fence system, plus 492 feet of 20 gauge inground, above ground, underground electric dog fence wire; The solid core wire and thick outer coating stands up to any weather and lets you shape your dog barrier fences to stop your dogs dig
- DOG FENCE BARRIER BREAK STUBBORN HABITS FAST: Our wireless dog training collar with remote control up to 3 separate shock collars with a beep and vibration mode levels 1-10 that works wonders to quickly perimeter train dogs; Plus, the electric shock collar levels 1-10 get attention and stop stubborn behavior fast, even the jumping, playful biting, digging, ends complaints from neighbors
- PEACE OF MIND + LONG BATTERY LIFE: This 12-hour Comfort Collar features an 8-second shut down that stops the shock for pet safety; Plus this collar has long-lasting batteries that give you 3 to 7 days of pet containment and remote dog training, and a rapid rechargeable battery station that charges batteries in 2-3 hours - without losing the ability to recharge (even after years of use)
- SAFE SHOCK COLLAR: fits small, medium and large dogs. Adjustable collar strap fits dog neck sizes ranging between 8 - 27 inches. Suitable for dogs weighing between 11 and 154 pounds. The adjustable collar-receiver is waterproof (IPX7 Rated) and rechargeable. The perimeter shock collar beeps, vibrates and has 3 automatic progressive levels of correction. It’s safe, painless and humane
It includes a detailed training guide
There is a remote control
This system is easy to install
You have to charge the collars more frequently than similar brands
The remote and receiver are both waterproof and rechargeable. Use this system for dogs of varying sizes since the two included collars are adjustable.
Best for Small Dogs: PetSafe Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence
The PetSafe Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence is ideal for dogs five pounds and heavier and neck circumferences ranging from six to 16 inches. The collar can be adjusted to one of four levels, depending on your dog’s temperament.
It uses replaces batteries and there is an indicator that tells you when you need to replace them. The system has all of the necessary components and covers up to one-third of an acre, but it is expandable.
- IN-GROUND FENCE FOR LITTLE DOGS: Designed to fit dogs 5 lb and up
- COVERS UP TO 1/3 ACRE WITH INCLUDED WIRE: Can be expanded up to 25 acres with the purchase of additional wire and flags
- ADJUSTABLE, WATERPROOF RECEIVER COLLAR: With 4 levels of static stimulation and tone only mod for training, receiver collar can be adjusted to dog's temperament
- ADD UNLIMITED PETS TO YOUR SYSTEM: keep as many pets as you need safely in your yard with this add-a-dog receiver collar; compatible with all PetSafeIn-Ground Systems except YardMax
- REFLECTIVE COLLAR STRAP: Adds visibility so you can see your pet better at night
- It is easy to install
- Dogs tend to learn the meaning of the beeping sound quickly
- There is enough wiring for very large spaces
- The batteries may fail prematurely
With an adjustable collar and the ability to expand it up to 25 acres, this wireless fence helps to keep your small dogs safe on your property.
Best for Stubborn Dogs: PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence
The waterproof collar features a rechargeable battery. On average, you need to recharge it about every two weeks.
There are five static levels that you can adjust based on your dog’s response to the system.
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (5-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the portable indoor transmitter
- NO WIRE TO BURY: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
- FOR STUBBORN DOGS: The system features a tone-only mode plus 5 levels of adjustable static correction to appropriately match the temperament of even the most persistent pets
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- STUBBORN DOG STAY & PLAY COLLAR: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 lb and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches
- You can combine multiple systems to expand the coverage area
- The collar is waterproof
- It works for large and small dogs
- Some dogs may be able to remove the collar easily
This system allows for unlimited collars, making it ideal if you have more than one dog. You do not need to bury wires, allowing for fast installation.
For Odd-Shaped Yards: Standard Grade Underground Dog Fence
The Standard Grade Underground Dog Fence provides up to six acres of coverage. It comes a fully waterproof collar that is adjustable for large and small dogs for a comfortable fit.
The polyethylene jacket that covers the wiring resists ultraviolet light.
This kit is designed for self-installation and it comes with a detailed instruction manual. You can use two frequencies for the transmitter so that there is no interference with other nearby fence systems.
- This system has commercial-grade landscape staples
- The collar has multiple adjustability levels
- You can install it on a variety of terrains
- The wire may rust prematurely
This wireless fence system can work for up to five dogs at a time. The 20-gauge high-tensile wire is durable and will not fail prematurely due to weather or prolonged usage.
Best for Large Dogs: JUSTSTART Wireless Dog Fence
The JUSTSTART Wireless Dog Fence has a training mode so that you and your dog can get used to the fence and collar quickly. The boundary adjusts from 10 to 1,000 feet in a radial shape.
It has a water-resistant collar with rechargeable batteries. The collar is designed to prevent over-shocking ensuring safety when your dog is wearing it, and you can adjust the collar so that it fits comfortably on your dog.
- Dogs learn the perimeter quickly
- You can install it on hills and slopes
- It works for dogs of various sizes
- It can sometimes be inconsistent
This system is meant for dogs of all sizes, including extra-large dogs. It allows for a large radius so that your dogs have a lot of room to roam.
Having some basic information about wireless dog fences can make it easier to choose the best one for your property.
How Does a Wireless Dog Fence Work?
These fences create a safe zone for your dog using a constant radio signal. Your dog wears a compatible collar that gives them a warning tone followed by a humane and safe static correction if they get too close to the fence’s boundaries, according to Dr. Jennifer L. Summerfield, DVM.
Do Invisible Fences Work for Large Dogs?
Yes, there are options that can be installed to contain large dogs. Just make sure that you get a collar that fits your dog properly.
Do Wireless Dog Fences Work?
These fences can be effective with proper installation and training. Most dogs quickly learn to stay within the fence’s boundaries, according to Mikkel Becker, CBCC-KA, CDBC, CPDT-KA.
You must also ensure to perform all necessary maintenance as needed to maintain the fence’s effectiveness.
How Much is a Wireless Dog Fence?
The average cost for a wireless dog fence is $950 to $1,000. This includes the cost of installation and all necessary hardware and accessories for the fence.
How Do You Train a Dog to Stay in Your Yard?
For the fence to be effective, your dog must know where the boundaries are. Training via noting the flags and walking the perimeter with your dog can help them to learn where the fence is located, according to Dr. Lynn Buzhardt, DVM.