You want to let your pets enjoy the great outdoors in your front yard or backyard without worrying about fences, gates, and leashes.
Invisible dog fences make it possible to contain your pets safely within the boundaries of your property with just some basic installation and a little training.
These wireless and wired invisible fences are some of the best available options for keeping pets contained safely and securely. These are brands and products you can rely on to deliver quality and security for your peace of mind.
Table of Contents
- FAQ – How to Choose the Best Invisible Dog Fence
- What is an invisible dog fence?
- What features should you be looking for?
- What about power surges?
- Does it include failure notification if the fence goes down?
- Is it easy to setup and maintain?
- Best Overall: PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence without Wire
- Best for 25 Acres: eXtreme Dog Fence Professional Dog Containment System
- Best for Large Dogs: SportDOG Containment Fence PRO-Grade
- Best for Small Dogs: PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence
- Best to Expand to 100 Acres: SportDOG Invisible Dog Fence
FAQ – How to Choose the Best Invisible Dog Fence
There are a number of considerations to keep in mind when choosing an invisible dog fence depending on how many dogs you are looking to contain and how large the breeds are.
Some invisible fence brands work especially well for larger breeds and others work better for smaller breeds.
There are invisible fence products that are particularly well designed for large scale yards or that are adaptable for adding on additional acreage while others are for smaller yards or spaces.
The best way to choose an invisible dog fence is to weigh the pros and cons of the various products available against your particular needs to determine which product best addresses your own individual needs.
What is an invisible dog fence?
Invisible dog fences and electric fences are wired or wireless fences that create electrically charged boundaries to keep your dog within a specific boundary without a physical fence.
The dog then wears a collar around its neck that communicates with the fence in order to keep the dog within the boundary.
What features should you be looking for?
Determining which features matter most in choosing an invisible dog fence is ultimately up to which features matter most as a dog owner.
If you have a large breed dog, several dogs, or have a particularly large or nontraditional shaped plot of land, then you will want to consider invisible fence products that cater to your needs.
If your dogs are particularly stubborn and resistant to training or you have had invisible fence products that have failed in the past, then you will want to select a product with more adjustment levels to meet your needs.
Choosing the right collar is similar in that you will want to meet your specific needs and there is no one-size-fits-all solution to meet all needs.
Choose a collar that fits your specific dog or dogs and that is not too powerful for their size and breed. Make sure that the collar is adjustable both in terms of size and power level so that you do not overdo it.
What about power surges?
Most wireless fence systems for dogs are designed to run directly from electrical current in the home. It is important to protect against power surges which can result in an overload of your system.
A power surge could harm your dog or cause damage to your home.
As such, you will want to choose a wireless dog fence designed specifically to resist energy overloads and to work with your home. There are specific designs that work well for this including GPS dog fences in addition to low-energy invisible dog fences.
Does it include failure notification if the fence goes down?
It is important to make sure the invisible fence system you choose has a failure notification system built in. When a boundary breaks down a failure notification system will alert you of the breach so you can keep your dogs out of danger and repair the breach immediately.
No matter which invisible fence system you decide to purchase you will want to make sure to look into what failure notification options are available and how they work. This way if the battery fades on a collar or if the fence fails, then you will have a warning and will be able to remedy the problem.
Is it easy to setup and maintain?
When considering an invisible fence product you will want to look at how easy a product is to set up and maintain. This is going to be an especially important consideration if this is your first time owning an invisible fence.
Wireless fences are generally easier to install because they do not require you to dig out, install, and maintain an actual fence however they bring additional maintenance considerations just like with any wireless electronic product.
It will generally pay for you to begin simply by choosing a system that will include a reasonably sized collar and a good amount of latitude when it comes to available voltage. If you choose too much voltage you could harm your dog or cause a power surge in your home.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Best Overall: PetSafe Stubborn Dog Fence without Wire
- This product was designed for hard-to-train and stubborn dogs.
- It has four different adjustable correction levels.
- The system is expandable up to 25 acres.
- The collar is adjustable for dogs 8lbs and up with necks sized between 6 inches and 28 inches.
When you first purchase it the wire included only overs 1/3 acre and you must purchase more wire to expand the system.
This is a good option for stubborn pets that are resistant to training. This is also a good option for traditionally sized yards. If you have a larger yard, then you will need to pay extra to expand the perimeter.
Best for 25 Acres: eXtreme Dog Fence Professional Dog Containment System
- The collar receiver is waterproof.
- The digital transmitter has a 25-acre capacity.
- Comes with 7 different correction levels.
- Notifies you when the battery is low.
- Comes with 1/3 acre worth of wire. Additional wire can be purchased.
- Requires a proprietary battery for the collar.
eXtreme offers several different fences to meet every budget including an economy system, a standard system, a Pro grade system, and a Max grade system.
The collar battery is rechargeable but is a proprietary battery so if it ever stops working the entire collar must be replaced. This is a high-quality system that receives good reviews.
Best for Large Dogs: SportDOG Containment Fence PRO-Grade
- Kit contains 1 1/3 acre and is expandable up to 100 acres.
- Collar offers three different stimulation types.
- Can be programmed for unlimited dogs.
- Collars are waterproof.
- In-ground fence is wired and must be installed.
- Some collar batteries do not last as long as others. (1-2 months)
This is an adaptable and configurable system that offers the ability for custom layouts and is programable to allow for an unlimited number of dogs on the same system.
This system comes highly recommended for large breed dogs because the collars are adjustable and can carry long battery lives and because there can be a wide warning zone prior to the stimulation zone.
Best for Small Dogs: PetSafe Stay and Play Wireless Fence
- Quick 1-2 hour setup.
- Designed to suit smaller dogs, as small as 5lbs.
- Offers 5 different levels of adjustable correction.
- Features an automatic safety shut-off.
- Proprietary battery is non-replaceable.
- Only adjustable to a circular area up to 3/4 of an acre.
This is a great product for smaller dogs as it covers up to 3/4 of an acre in a circle and can handle an unlimited number of collared dogs. While most products only work for dogs 8lbs and up, this product can work for dogs 5lbs and up so it is especially well suited for small breeds.
Best to Expand to 100 Acres: SportDOG Invisible Dog Fence
- Expandable up to 100 acres which is larger than many invisible fence products.
- Features a wire-break transmitter alarm.
- Features an anti-linger feature which prevents the dog from running down the collar battery in the warning zone.
- Kit comes with 1 1/3 acre worth of coverage and 100 flags.
Only works for dogs 10lbs and larger.
This is another great invisible fence product with a lot of built in features. It is better for larger breeds since it only works on dogs 10lbs and up, and it is expandable up to 100 acres and an unlimited number of dogs.