I recently bought a GPS shock collar to train my dog, and it has been the most effective way I have found so far. It came with an instruction manual that told me how much time each setting should be used for, and it was surprisingly easy to use. In this article, I’ll show you the top GPS dog shock collars I tested and the one I recommend.
Table of Contents
- The Top GPS Dog Shock Collars
- In a Rush? Check Out What We Recommend…
- Our Top Pick: Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle
- Runner Up: Garmin Delta Inbounds
- Best for High-End Model: Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 Combo
- Best for Buyers on a Budget: Garmin Astro 430/T 5 Dog Tracking Bundle
- Best Portable System: Garmin Astro 900 Dog Tracking Bundle
- 4 Best Pet GPS Trackers
- 7 Benefits of GPS Dog Collars
The Top GPS Dog Shock Collars
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
In a Rush? Check Out What We Recommend…
Our Top Pick: Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle
If you’re going to go all-in on a new wireless dog fence, you may as well pick this handy bundle. The new Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle is exactly what its title implies: A full collection of all of the elements that make up a top-quality modern dog fence.
Its list of included accessories is extremely impressive. If you’re ready to set up the ultimate wireless dog fence, the new Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle is by far our number one recommended choice.
- High-Sensitivity GPS with GLONASS. Display size is 1.53 wide x 2.55 high in inches and 3 inch diagonal
- Preloaded TOPO U.S. 100k maps.LED beacon lights and Rescue mode as well as Stimulation levels-Tone and Vibration
- Battery life 20-40 hrs. Display type : transflective, 65-K color TFT touchscreen
- Setup virtual boundaries on your map and receive an alert, automatically sends signal to recall
- 1-inch black collar strap, 5-inches standard and 13-inches extended range antennas
- Includes a handheld TT 15 training device
- GPS tracking for multiple dogs
- A specially designed long-range tracking device
- This unit may be a bit on the pricy side for some readers, although its full range of included options makes it an extremely worthy buy
Runner Up: Garmin Delta Inbounds
We’ve chosen the Garmin Delta Inbounds as our runner-up to the top wireless dog fence system. This is because we believe it has almost all of the important advantages that the Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle possesses.
It’s priced a bit more cheaply and doesn’t contain every customized luxury package element. But it’s an excellent starter model that deserves your attention.
- Wireless dog containment, activity tracking and training system with small, portable base unit and rechargeable on-collar Device
- Provides a containment Radius of up to 2 acres -roughly 150’ -for up to two dogs; allows a breached dog to return without correction to designated containment area
- Comfortable plastic contacts allow for extended wear and are provided in long and short sizes to accommodate various polycarbonate lengths
- Industry-leading built-in barklimiter Feature helps deter nuisance barking
- Works with the free Garmin CANINE app on your smartphone to help you monitor activity
- Fully wireless containment system with activity and GPS tracking features
- Containment radius of up to 2 full acres
- Built-in “bark limiter” restrains excessive barking
- As stated above, contains most, but not all, of the luxury customized features of the Alpha 100 Dog Bundle
Best for High-End Model: Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 Combo
If money is no object or you have saved up long enough to buy the absolute best Garmin wireless dog fence combo, we recommend the new Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 Combo. We didn’t include it as our top choice because of its somewhat pricy nature.
However, if you’re determined to have everything in one bundle, this is definitely the best way to go. It includes everything you need to create the ultimate safe and trustworthy wireless dog fence system.
- [GARMIN ALPHA 100 TT15 COMBO] - Garmin Alpha 100 Handheld Dog GPS, Standard & Extended Range Antennas, 1-Year BirdsEye Satellite Subscription, Belt Clip, Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery, USB Wall & Car Adapters, Garmin Field Bag and more
- [PLAYBETTER'S COLLAR BUNDLE] - Extra Reflective Dog Collars, PlayBetter Portable Charger & GPS Tether Lanyard
- [MULTI-DOG TRACKING GPS & REMOTE TRAINING] - Tracks up to 20 dogs or buddies from up to 9 miles + 18 training levels of continuous and momentary stimulation + Measures dogs’ speed and distance traveled
- [100K US MAPS PRE-LOADED + 1-YEAR BIRDS EYE SATELLITE] - Using GPS and GLONASS tracking, you'll be able to find your way safely and accurately with the 1-Year BirdsEye Satellite Subscription included with the purchase!
- [ALL INCLUSIVE DOG GPS & TRAINING BUNDLE] - This package has everything you need to achieve optimum performance from your sporting dogs - from the accuracy of the Alpha 100's satellite readings to the power of the extended range antennas, combined with the handy Garmin Field Bag, Extra Reflective Dog Collars and GPS Tether Lanyard - you'll be ready to take full advantage of the next hunting season!
- Includes a full collar bundle selection: Extra Reflective Dog Collars, PlayBetter Portable Charger & GPS Tether Lanyard
- Handheld GPS combo bundle includes: Garmin Alpha 100 Handheld Dog GPS, Standard & Extended Range Antennas, 1-Year BirdsEye Satellite
- Multi-dog tracking for up to 20 dogs
- Definitely the priciest item on this list
- Not recommended for the casual dog owner who only has 1 or 2 dogs to enclose
Best for Buyers on a Budget: Garmin Astro 430/T 5 Dog Tracking Bundle
The new Garmin Astro 430/T 5 Dog Tracking Bundle is our top pick for buyers on a budget. It contains all of the essential elements you will need to keep your dog safely within the bounds you have set for them. It’s priced just right so that it won’t put a huge dent in your household budget.
- Expanded dog capability - track up to 20 dogs from a range of up to 9 miles
- GPS/glonass - high-sensitivity GPS and glonass satellite reception has the ability to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Preloaded mapping - includes preloaded topo U.S. 100K mapping and a free 1-year birdseye satellite imagery subscription
- Hunt metrics - hunt metrics dog performance data shows distance traveled, time afield and more, so you can train your dog more effectively.Optional battery - optional in-unit rechargeable nimh battery Pack or uses standard AA battery power
- Dimension(inches):2.4 x 6.3 x 1.4. Battery life - up to 20 hours (Astro 430)
- The system can track up to 20 dogs from a range of 9 miles
- GPS/GLONASS system tracks dogs in challenging environments
- Included Hunt Metrics system allows you to track and train your dog more effectively
- It’s priced very affordably but may lack some of the finer and more customizable features of more expensive Garmin systems
Best Portable System: Garmin Astro 900 Dog Tracking Bundle
The Garmin Astro 900 Dog Tracking Bundle is the most affordable completely portable system for tracking multiple dogs at long range. The system contains everything you need to keep full track of up to 20 dogs even in challenging environments.
- Track up to 20 dogs with the 2.6” color display; pair with T 9 dog devices for a range of up to 5 miles (8 km); uses 900 MHz FHSS, approved for operation in Canada and the U.S.
- 2.5-second update rate provides faster location tracking when dogs are on the run
- High-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS satellite reception has the ability to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Preloaded TOPO mapping for the U.S. and southern Canada and a free 1-year Birdseye Satellite Imagery subscription for better location awareness
- Hunt Metrics dog data analyzes dog’s speed, distance traveled and time afield so you can review and train more effectively
- Tracks up to 20 dogs at a range of 5 miles
- High-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS satellite reception
- Preloaded TOPO mapping for the U.S. and southern Canada
- The most affordable long-range system for multiple dogs. However, the system range is 5 miles rather than 9 like some of the other systems on this list
Do you just need a GPS tracker without the shock system? If so check out our top GPS trackers:
4 Best Pet GPS Trackers
1. Whistle 3 – Best GPS Dog Tracker
The Whistle 3 pet tracker is only 0.92 ounces and is very compact in its cube-shaped package.
A drawback is that it doesn’t come with an included collar and you have to attach it to the collar your dog already wears. It is compatible with any collar or harness that is up to 1-inch wide.
It also requires a subscription plan for on-demand location tracking (starting from 6.95 dollars per month). Most high-end pet trackers do though and compared to those, the Whistle 3 is pretty affordable.
The Whistle 3 is going to withstand any activity that your pet is engaged with as it’s dirt, shock, and water-resistant. You have to make sure your neighborhood has AT&T 3G coverage as the positioning info is provided by this carrier.
The Whistle 3 sticks mostly to the basics and doesn’t have over-the-top features like meal logs or medication reminders. However, it does enable you to create multiple “safe zones” for your pet.
This allows you to pick more than one area where your pet would be considered safe to roam, depending on where your pet usually goes to.
Each time your pet leaves or enters the safe zone, Whistle 3 will notify you. And if your pet goes beyond the Wi-Fi range, the tracker will automatically start using cellular and GPS technology to enable you to keep an eye on their whereabouts.
There are also some activity tracking features and rest monitoring that help you make sure your pet is getting enough activity.
You can set custom goals or notifications to be sent if there are radical changes in your pet’s activity or sleeping patterns.
A little bit like a Fitbit for your pet.
The Whistle 3’s battery life is around 7 days, which pretty decent.
- Compact design
- Battery life is long
- Great price for the functionality
- Doesn’t come with the collar included
The Whistle 3 cleverly combines all the things you might look for in a pet’s GPS tracker: great performance, affordable price, and compact size. Although it doesn’t include the collar in the package, it’s the best bang for your buck.
2. Trax Play – An Excellent GPS Dog Collar
Unlike most pet GPS trackers, the Trax Play doesn’t require a smartphone to operate and uses an online web application besides the smartphone app.
The Trax Play doesn’t offer many features and extras, but the things it does offer are very customizable including geofencing and outdoor tracking.
You can set your pet’s safe zones in any polygon shape you want or even draw them freehand. You can also choose to make them active on certain days of the week.
This means you can choose a pre-set safe zone for different possible scenarios.
The homepage is basically a map that shows you where the tracker (you) is, and a geofencing tab enables you to customize your pet’s safe zones, and a third tab allows you to locate your dog using augmented reality.
The Trax Play has a sleep mode to conserve battery life.
After 5 minutes of inactivity, the tracker goes to sleep and reactivates as soon as the pet starts moving again.
This means that the battery will last you more than a day even if you request 15-second location updates. You can also choose different intervals to get updates ranging from 10 seconds to 60 seconds.
You would need a subscription plan that is either 54 dollars for six months, 72 dollars for a year, or 96 for two years.
It uses T-Mobile 2G as a cellular service provider whose coverage is a little bit less comprehensive than AT&Ts.
A big drawback regarding the Trax is that it isn’t water-proof. This is okay if you’re planning to use it on a cat or a dog that doesn’t particularly like water. If your pet likes jumping into the water, then you might disregard the Trax.Pros
- Doesn’t require a smartphone to operate
- T-Mobile has stronger coverage in rural areas
- Long-term subscriptions are cheap
- A lot of customization options
- Not water-proof
- Might not sit as securely on the collar as other options
The Trax Play GPS tracker is a nice, affordable tracker that gives you a lot of customizable safe areas for your pet.
On the one hand, it’s not water-proof, but on the other, it has battery-preserving techniques that extend its battery life a bit longer.
3. Link AKC Smart Collar
The Link AKC Smart Collar comes in both an elegant leather or black sporty edition to fit whatever style you want your pet to wear.
And while it looks great and stylish, its features and performance are what truly make it a great GPS tracking device.
The package includes a collar, water, and shock-resistant tracker, a collar carrier to attach the tracker to, a base station, and a power cord.
It can fit both dogs and cats of any size as the collar sizes range from XS to XL.
If you want on-demand location tracking, you’ll need a service plan that is enabled by the AT&T cellular network that starts at 6.95 dollars per month.
It also includes access to a Pet Poison Hotline, free collar size exchange, and Amazon Alexa integration.
Once your device is activated, you can go on as many off-leash adventures as you want with your pet. You’ll enjoy the accurate location tracking provided by the advanced GPS, Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and cellular data.
You can use Bluetooth with the Link AKC’s base station to create a safe zone that your app will send you alerts if your pet leaves.
The Link AKC Smart Collar also provides you with an “Adventure” feature that records walks, hikes, and trips in a virtual scrapbook with maps and photos included.
It also enables you to manage your dog’s health and wellbeing with activity tracking, activity recommendations regarding your dog’s weight, breed, and behavior, and the ability to store vet records and reminders.
The Link AKC Smart Collar also has a temperate alert that notifies you when your pet is in an environment that may be too hot or too cold for them.
It also has LED lights that can be turned on remotely to provide them with safety at night.
Its battery life lasts up to 3 days.
- Stylish look
- The app is very easy to use
- Diversified safety features including LED lights and temperature alerts
- A lot of sizes that fit pets of different sizes
- It may not suit smaller dogs or cats
- A bit pricey
The Link AKC Smart Collar delivers great location, activity, and wellbeing tracking features. It’s an all-in-all great device.
4. Findster Duo+ – A Great Tracker for Pets
The system of the Findster Duo+ is based on two modules: the Pet module that you attach to your pet’s collar and which locates its positions by communicating with GPS satellites, and the Guardian module that you can attach to a keychain or keep in your pocket.
Without the need for a SIM card, cellular coverage, or monthly fees, you can check your pet’s location in real-time.
As long as your pet is in a three miles’ range, Findster’s MAZE technology is going to be at work to keep the wireless communication between the two modules of the Findster Duo+.
The Guardian module also serves as an intermediary between the Pet module and your smartphone.
It sends the GPS data attained by the Pet module to the smartphone via Bluetooth.
The Findster Duo+ lets you create 3 different GPS fences.
The first is a virtual leash that automatically moves with you. The second is a Safe Zone that allows you to set the area in which your pet should be.
And finally, the third is a Danger Zone that lets you define areas your pet shouldn’t go to.
You will get notified if your pet goes beyond the virtual leash or safe zone into the danger zone.
If you complete your pet’s profile on the Findster app, you can keep track of their activity and movement.
Much like a fitness tracker for humans, you can also receive reports on time spent walking or rest, paws or distance walked, and even set weekly and daily goals.Pros
- No monthly fees
- No cellular coverage needed
- Works anywhere
- GPS might be inaccurate in denser areas
The Findster Duo+ is a great tracker to provide you with real-time location info without needing cellular coverage or requiring any monthly fees. It works with all your pet’s adventures and roaming, even in off-the-grid areas.
7 Benefits of GPS Dog Collars
Many perks come with owning this unique device. However, for the uninitiated, the 7 leading benefits of owning GPS dog collars can be summarized as follows:
- The GPS collar is the most effective way of controlling your dog’s behavior.
- The microchip implantation process is quick, easy, and painless.
- GPS provides accurate, real-time location tracking.
- You will always know when your dog is attempting to escape.
- You can use the web to monitor the whereabouts of your dog in real-time.
- If your dog is lost or stolen, you can use the GPS collar to quickly locate them.
- The collar will quickly identify your pet, allowing you to claim them as your own.