Tired of your dog getting dirty in their outdoor dog kennel? Looking for ways to keep them dry and warm. We’ll cover the top options for flooring for both outdoor and indoor dog kennels.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- In A Rush? Here Are Our Top Picks
- Top Pick For Outdoor Dog Kennels – DuraGrid Evergreen Interlocking Tiles
- Top Pick For Indoor Dog Kennels – PeePeeGo Non-Slip Extra Large Dog Pads
- Best Artificial Grass Kennel Flooring – Artificial Grass Turf by Pet Grow
- Best Outdoor Kennel Flooring For Comfort – Kennel Deck Revival Floor System
- Best Indoor Kennel Flooring For Comfort And Warmth – SincoPet Washable Pee Pad
- Best High-End Kennel Flooring That Looks Like Wood – 3rd Street Inn Deck Pavers
- How To Choose Flooring For Your Outdoor Dog Kennel
- How to install dog kennel flooring
- What Do They Make Dog Kennel Flooring Out Of?
- How Many Flooring Pads Do You Need For Different Sized Kennels?
In A Rush? Here Are Our Top Picks
Top Pick For Outdoor Dog Kennels – DuraGrid Evergreen Interlocking Tiles
DuraGrid tiles are game-changing, crazy simple ways to cover your dog kennel’s dirty floor.
They look great, are super easy to wash, and are UV resistant – meaning they will last a long time outside.
Plus they are super easy to install. You can level, rake, and install 120 square feet in 1-2 hours. They go in faster if you don’t need to level the ground.
Lastly, these are a great bang for the buck flooring tiles. You can buy them as single tiles but the real value comes when you buy the 40 pack.
They’re also trusted and commonly used to prevent slips and falls in wet gym locker rooms. Great drainage and soft on bare dog feet (because they were designed for bare human feet).
- DuraGrid outdoor deck and patio flooring is designed to withstand extensive UV exposure and high foot traffic.
- Perfect accessory to any outdoor area. Front entry, mud room, deck or patio. Use around hot tubs and saunas for added comfort and safety
- Simple setup, no toxic fumes. Tiles simply "snap" together to create any size, perfect for covering slippery concrete or wood surfaces. No tools or glue required. Resists most common chemicals
- Non-slip and slip resistant. DuraGrid is great for many applications such as around the pool or to cover unsightly concrete or worn decks
- Easy to clean, low maintenance flooring. DuraGrid tiles can simply be sprayed down with a hose without hassle or worry. It's self-draining feature eliminates water problem areas. Made in the U.S.A
What We Like
- Mold and mildew resistant
- Good drainage. Easy to wash down.
- Easy to build interlocking tiles
- Comes in 40 packs – helps save money for larger kennels
- Soft enough for human bare feet – perfect for your dog
- Non-slip and Built for high traffic – you’ll see these in gym locker rooms
What We Don’t Like
- Pricing changes often – check the cost per unit when buying. Prices are subject to change at any time based on availability. Some have been burned buying a larger quantity (though that’s not usually the case)
- The durability makes them a little hard to snap together
- Come assembled as 2’x2′ squares. If you need something smaller you have to take them apart which is a pain.
Top Pick For Indoor Dog Kennels – PeePeeGo Non-Slip Extra Large Dog Pads
I think the brand says it all – PeePeeGo non-slip pads are the ideal high-end flooring material for indoor dog kennels.
Originally designed for puppy training, these pads work great even for house-trained dogs. Why? They are tough, long-lasting, and machine washable.
Plus they are the go-to for geriatric, dogs that have trouble holding it in between walks. Did we mention they are easy to machine wash and dry? Consider them a huge indoor cloth diaper.
They beat cloth diapers though in that they have a rubber backing that won’t let pee or liquids seep through and mess up your floor.
Lastly, we love these units because they are non-slip. Let your dog run at will. They protect the paws, won’t slip, and all the while protect your floors.
- LIFE SAVER- Extra large 65" x 48" is good choice as whelping pads for whelping box 48" x 48",also as dog potty pads for senior dog with bladder leakage,effective hold the urine can’t through to the floor;
- NON SLIP & NOT BUNCH UP-Soft and durable surface materials polyester no pilling does not make hair come off ,puppies not worry get their nails stuck again, and will not tear easily like other brands pads;in addition, upgraded non slip rubber backing maximizes the pee pads stay on bed or floor,puppies crawl more easily
- ABSORBENT＆ LEAKPROOF- No strong smell after 8 cups urine from incontinence elder dog and puppies thanks to centre layer materials waterproof TPU which using for kids bed pads;keep puppies and floor dry in the morning
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY&SAVES MONEY- Washable and reusable pee pads air dry quickly; save us lot of work to dealing with mess while dogs use pee pads for bathroom emergencies , beats buying endless bags of disposable pads
- MULTI PURPOSE-Our pee pads and travel pads for dogs playpen, crate, cat litter box, ultimate protection for floor,carpet ,bed,furniture,sofa, car seat and car trunk; ultra waterproof also be used as a floor protectors underneath the water bowl
What We Like
- Absorbs pee without getting soggy
- Keeps floor dry
- Easy to remove and clean dog poop
- Machine washable and dry-able
- Great for puppy training
- Great for incontinent, geriatric dogs
What We Don’t Like
- Higher cost for indoor flooring (due to better absorption and keeping the floor dry)
- Too good at holding pee – If you pick up the mat to clean it and tilt it on yourself pee tends to drain out (and onto those that aren’t careful!)
Best Artificial Grass Kennel Flooring – Artificial Grass Turf by Pet Grow
Has your dog been destroying the grass with his or her acid pee? Worry not, Pet Grow’s Artificial Grass Turf has you covered.
For less than what you’d typically pay at hardware stores, you could easily line your dog kennel this weekend. Note, prices change often so tap/click below to see current rates.
Installation is easy. The best thing about this turf is how easy it is to cut it to any shaped dog kennel.
It’s also super easy to clean (or vacuum) like most fake grasses.
Be careful though. The turf drains super fast but your soil underneath might. Check your soil drainage! If it drains poorly or you have large dogs (that pee a lot) and you don’t get a lot of rain your kennel could smell super bad (like stale pee). This is because you need a good amount of rain to run through this and clean it out.
If you live in the arid west you might want to try other options or wash it often to soak the pee through.
If you live in the east then this artificial grass might be the best you ever find. Just skim through all the other things we love about it below…
- THICK & REALISTIC ARTIFICAL GRASS RUG: Grass height about 1.37” in length, 70 oz total weight per square yard, high-density artificial grass. With 4-tone color, soft and lush and the thatch looks & feels like real natural grass. Providing you with year round green and turf enjoyment, perfect for all indoor and outdoor projects.
- PERFORMANCE :Made of high quality synthetic material, Superior resilience and durability, rubber backed with drainage hole,can be dry quickly.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY & SAVE MONEY: No mowing,safe for pets and children.
- Perfect for Outdoor decor, such as Garden, Lawn, Patio, Landscape, Backyard, Deck,Balcony, Porch and other outdoor place. Also used as Mat, Carpet,Doormats in indoor Home.
- DEVOTED CUSTOMER SERVICE - For customers, this artificial grass with 10 years and 30 days return policy
What We Like
- Looks colorful and clean (no more brown spots from acid pee)
- Drains well – the heaviest rains soak through in an hour (depends on your soil type underneath though!)
- Easy to clean (or vacuum with a shop vac)
- Stays in place
- Looks realistic like a freshly cut lawn
- Fast to install – cut with garden shears and use lawn pegs to stake in place
- Cut to any dog kennel shape easily
- No more weeding, no more cutting the lawn, no more brown spot mysteries
What We Don’t Like
- Light green shade. We prefer a darker green.
- Tiles can be slightly different shades of green.
- Doesn’t solve poorly drained soils
Best Outdoor Kennel Flooring For Comfort – Kennel Deck Revival Floor System
This flooring system is ideal for bigger, heavier dogs. The pieces are made of wide plastic slats that more evenly distribute your dog’s weight.
Plus they are raised higher off the ground than other models. This makes them both easy to clean as water runs through and away easily. Plus they are warmer since they aren’t in close contact with the cold, wet ground underneath.
The clips that hold them together leave something to be desired. They pretty rigid and do well over uneven ground.
What We Like
- Elevated off the ground – drains better and doesn’t let pools of urine sit and rot (better smell)
- Looks like a faux wooden porch
- Good for heavy dogs – wider slats are easier on the paws than other options
- Warmer than concrete, soil, or wet grass
- Easy to install on uneven surfaces – They have a lot of self-supporting structure
What We Don’t Like
- More expensive than other options
- Clips that hold them together aren’t the strongest
Best Indoor Kennel Flooring For Comfort And Warmth – SincoPet Washable Pee Pad
This quilted, warm, dog print-filled pad is ideal to keep your pet warm and happy.
The model itself comes with 4 different layers. Why? The top layers provide warmth. The middle layers absorb pee and other liquids. The bottom layers prevent liquids from seeping into your floor.
Plus the paw print design looks pretty decent. Most of the other models just look like a big lifeless carpet. Boring!!!
Get this now before your current pee pads leak through and you have to replace the carpet or wood floor.
Oh, and like the other pee pad – take this away for cleaning carefully. Yes, it’ll hold some urine. And if you’re not careful – you’ll dump it all over yourself if tip it when you pick it up. Watch out!
- Great Material of 4 Layers - 100% polyester knitting surface for ultimate comfortable; Super absorbent high density middle layer; Breathable waterproof PUL inner layer; 100% polyester knitting fabric with anti-slip silica gel bottom.
- Anti-Slip Bottom - There are a great deal of anti-slip silica gels on the bottom side of the fabric. The leak-proof, slip resistant backing will help keep your floors dry while staying in place.
- Washable & Reusable -Our washable pads are durable and long lasting, multiple washes. This 36"X41" Large washable pee pads for dogs are reusable and super absorbent. The sizing is perfect for any breed or size dog.
- Multiply Functions - These pet pads are more than just potty training supplies.These pee pads are great for housebreaking,dogs playpen,cat litter box,provides protection to crates and kennels, pet carriers.They are ideal for protecting carpet,woodfloor,sofa,furniture,car seat and car trunk during travel.Place one under food and water bowls for messy eaters, or use as a puppy whelping or training pad when welcoming your newest family members
- Excellent Soaking Capacity - These house training and travel pads can hold up to more than 20-30 times, ensures your floor and seat dry all night dry. NOTICE: When removing from bed,gather all four corners and lift while supporting bottom of the pad./*****/ Stay Strong,We got your fur baby's back /****/
What We Like
- Attractive paw print design
- Warm top – “It’s like sleeping on a blanket”
- Waterproof and non-slip bottom
- Absorbent middle layer
- Sometimes it comes with a free grooming glove extra – check the listing to see if it’s still available!
What We Don’t Like
- A little small for big dogs – Time for a larger model SincoPets!
- A little too absorbent – Wash these pads often, they can hold some urine! Don’t let stale urine sit in the pads – you won’t like the smell.
Best High-End Kennel Flooring That Looks Like Wood – 3rd Street Inn Deck Pavers
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! You’ll love the look of these panels. But ouch, watch that cost!
Yep, these tiles look awesome. Want something high-end? Want something with great drainage, warmth, and feels great on bare paws.
Look no further you found it!
Just watch out. These things are cheap.
If you want something that looks great and does the job look no further than 3rd Street Inn’s deck pavers.
- ★ 3RD STREET INN WOODEN DECK TILES - 3rd Street Inn Deck Tiles are made from 100% solid acacia hardwood. Acacia is known for its excellent resistance to rot and decay from outdoor elements including rain, sun, mold, mildew, and insects. Each 3rd Street Inn Deck Tile provides 12"x12" (1 Square Foot) of coverage and is available as a 6-pack (6 Square Feet), 10-pack (10 Square Feet), and 20-pack (20 Square Feet).
- ★ EASY INSTALLATION / NO HARDWARE NEEDED - 3RD STREET INN Deck Tiles feature snap-lock connectors for easy DIY installation without the use of hardware. Install the wooden patio tiles by lining them up and then stepping on the seams or hitting with a rubber mallet until you hear an audible "click". 3rd Street Inn Decking is made hardware free so that there aren't any components to rust and break down in the outdoor elements. For best results, the deck tiles must be installed on a flat surface.
- ★ INDOOR AND OUTDOOR DECK FLOORING - 3rd Street Inn Deck Tiles create a beautiful space both inside and outside. All that is needed is a solid surface and the deck flooring can be laid directly on top of it. The interlocking wood tiles can be installed on top of concrete, wood, carpet, pavers, or any other solid surface. Great for decks, patios, balconies, around pools, saunas, showers, sun rooms, mud rooms, bedrooms, and more.
- ★ DURABLE BEAUTY - 3rd Street Inn Deck Tiles are sanded and oiled for a beautiful, scratch resistant finish. All 3rd Street Inn Tile Decking is non-slip and great for high or low traffic areas inside or outside of the home. To increase the lifespan of your tile decking when used for outdoor applications, standard decking care is recommended. For best results, coat your decking with a UV-rated weatherproofing sealer twice a year and re-stain as needed.
- ★ VERSATILE INSTALLATION OPTIONS- 3rd Street Inn Deck Tiles not only look great in permanent installations on decks, patios, and around pools, they also offer a great temporary solution for installations in apartments and condos that can easily be removed when needed. For a custom fit, the interlocking patio tiles can be easily cut with a skill saw or jigsaw to accommodate areas of all shapes and sizes. Add 3rd Street Inn Deck Tiles to your home and bring your space to life!
What We Like
- That’s right – they look great! At least we think so.
- Lots of colors – red, black, grey, wooden (colored)
- Made for people, made for beauty
- Easy to install – easy to take out – easy to move
- Great customer service from the product owner
What We Don’t Like
- More expensive!
- Some complaints on longevity
How To Choose Flooring For Your Outdoor Dog Kennel
Choosing the best flooring for your dog kennel can be tough. There are a lot of options and a lot to consider.
We’ve boiled it down to 3 main items:
- Indoor vs Outdoor
- Style and Materials
- Comfort and Insulation
Indoor vs Outdoor
The first thing to consider – is this for an indoor dog kennel or an outdoor dog kennel?
Most indoor kennel floors are simply giant pee pads with non-stick bottoms. Don’t discount them so easily though.
That’s just what you’re looking for – something comfy for your dog that can also absorb a bit of urine. Plus they wash easily.
The two indoor flooring models we reviewed above both do that.
Need an outdoor floor for your kennel? Giant pee pads will not do. Yeah, they’ll be something for your dog to walk on other than mud. But they’ll quickly absorb a boatload of urine and get to the point you never want to see them again.
Instead, you need something with drainage.
All of the models we discussed above have great drainage. What differentiates them is look and feel.
Of course, with drainage, you still need to check the underlying soils. Why? Clay soils will hold moisture.
Even with the best drainage, you could have pools of urine sitting under your flooring. Those stagnant pools get stinky fast.
Best way to deal with it? Wash often! And consider flooring height.
Some of the models above rest on the floor – like the artificial turf models.
Others have a bit of structure. They are designed to look like wood or permanent flooring. They rise an inch or more off the ground.
The value of a little rise? It gives space underneath for air to flow and dry things out.
So let’s sum up drainage really quickly…
Do you have?…
- Clay or badly drained soils? Get the elevated flooring. See 3rd Street Pavers or the Revival model above.
- Well, drained sandy soils? Consider one of the Pet Grow turf covers above
- Live in dry areas west of the Mississippi? Get either, just wash it down often – stale urine stinks!
Style And Materials
Category #3 – style and materials – the subjective one.
Here you’ll simply want to scan through the top picks above and choose the one that looks the best to you.
Keep in mind drainage first! Not all models do well in all environments. Some, like turf in the arid west, need a bit more wash downs than others.
Still, are you in the arid west? Do you miss grass? Do you have some lovely boulders around the yard that would look good complimented against short-cut turf? Then artificial turf might be best for you.
Live in the east and your yard is mainly grass already? Looking for some contrast and a way to cover up those pee-killed brown spots? Then 3rd Street’s pavers or Revival’s faux deck option might look great in your kennel.
In general, for style, try and bring in some contrast with the flooring you choose. It should complement and add new textures to the color and textures already in your yard.
Comfort and Insulation
Lastly, when choosing to floor you should consider comfort and insulation.
Do you live somewhere cold? Want to keep those dog paws warm?
The higher elevated models from 3rd Street and Revival are like building a mini porch. They’ll elevate those paws off the cold, wet ground. Plus you can still wash them down easily.
They need less water to pass through to keep the smells down than other flooring elements that rest right on the ground. That lets you add blankets and bedding in between washes without the fear of those blankets soaking up urine and getting nasty.
Few flooring models, other than the indoor quilted pee pads offer any insulation on their own. But with the right elevated variety and some extra blankets, you can provide the comfort and warmth your pup needs.
How to install dog kennel flooring
Dog kennel flooring is either super simple or a little complex to install. Let’s cover both.
Super Simple Install for Indoor Kennels
Got in an indoor dog kennel? Through down one of our recommend indoor dog pads above. Done. Easy as pie.
Artificial Turf Kennel Install
Installing turf requires strong scissors (garden shears are best) and some patience. The cool thing about turf is you can cut just about any shape. This also makes it a little difficult as you can’t really measure things.
Turf is great for oblong or circular pens. You can even cut out holes to go around boulders in your yard.
One thing to be wary of with turf install – panel colors. Even if you order the same panels from the same supplier lay them out in a clean area (no mud, dirt, etc.) and check the colors. Are they all the same? No worries then. Do they have different shades? See if you can arrange them so they work together.
If that fails return them. Just keep in mind that cheaper panels often have slightly different shades. Make it work and keep the savings or return for an upgrade.
The next category to install is grids-shaped panels. Generally, you install these without cutting them as cutting them can be difficult and dangerous.
One thing to note is that these panels often come in as 2×2 or larger sections of the tiles. You may need to separate these to get them to fit into smaller areas of the kennel. This can be difficult to do and you may need a small screwdriver or similar tool to carefully pry them apart without breaking them.
Again, if you can, keep the pre-snapped panels together. Underlap the kennel walls if need be.
Faux Wood Panel Install
The last category of panels looks like faux wood or wood deck materials. These come in square or rectangle shapes and clip together at the edges.
What Do They Make Dog Kennel Flooring Out Of?
Artificial turf flooring is made of plastic, green fibers are sewn into a rubber mat or similar porous mat.
Faux wood deck panels are made of metal supports with plastic fake wood panels attached.
Indoor flooring is usually made of several layers:
- A quilted, warm top layer
- Porous urine absorbent central layers
- Waterproof liner near the bottom
- Non-stick rubber material attached to the bottom (think non-slip bathroom mat)
How Many Flooring Pads Do You Need For Different Sized Kennels?
This greatly depends on the different pads or panels you plan to use for the floor. Each of the top models reviewed above includes panel sizes. Click the check availability button to see if that size or others are available. Most models come in either different sized single panels or different packs of small panels (10 pack, 20 pack, etc.).
Measure your kennel twice to double-check then check the listings both in the description and at the end at checkout.