Puppies are adorable. And I’m 100% sure that none of you would disagree. But are they trustable? Heck no! The moment you avert your eyes, they would spark on a journey to damage your home and maybe hurt themselves while they’re at it.
That’s when a dog pen would come in handy. It provides a safe area for your dog to play, eat, chill, and sleep. And if you pick one with a floor, cleaning accidents would be a lot easier.
In this article, I’ll review the best indoor dog pens with floor. I’ll also mention some of my top tips that should help you choose.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
The 8 Best Indoor Dog Pens with Floor
In each of the following reviews, I’ll analyze things like the material, washability, portability, etc. Since nothing is perfect, I’ll also state the cons that might ruin your dog’s day.
Ruff ‘n Ruffus Portable Foldable Pet Playpen – Best Overall
For my first recommendation, I couldn’t find a pen better than Ruff ‘n Ruffus. First things first, its largest size measures 36 inches in diameter and 23 inches in height. Not the biggest out there, but certainly the most suitable for average-sized breeds.
To make it sturdier, Ruff ‘n Ruffus reinforced the seams and corners with double layers of nylon. This means that you can use it anywhere without worrying about the annoying rips and tears.
To keep your dog aerated, you can detach the top cover. If your dog is acting up, you can easily zip it back to prevent him from climbing out of the pen.
If you’re looking to save some bucks, this pen should be the best option. Besides being affordable, Ruff ‘n Ruffus ships it with a free carrying case and a collapsible bowl. These two extras are must-haves if you’re planning to camp with your dog.
The only thing I don’t like is the bottom design. Some brands use a zippered sheet to facilitate cleaning. Ruff ‘n Ruffus, on the other hand, made it permanently attached.
- 🐾 FREE CARRYING CASE & FREE TRAVEL BOWL INCLUDED! 🐾 A Value of $14.99. Make Traveling convenient & care-free knowing you have our FREE 16oz Collapsible Travel Bowl & FREE Carrying Case Ready to go!!
- 🐾 PORTABLE AND LIGHTWEIGHT 🐾 Great for Indoor and Outdoor use. Lightweight, yet strong makes this ideal for traveling, camping and easy mobility. Comes with convenient carrying case.
- 🐾 NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED, EASY STORAGE 🐾 Pops up in seconds with no need for any assembly. Folds flat when not in use for easy carrying and storing. Keep your pet comfortable and secure in the Pet Playpen. Reinforced with attached floor mat to ensure your pet's safety. Spacious interior gives your pet room to play.
- 🐾 SAFE AND SUPERIOR DESIGN 🐾 Roomy 8-Panel design with protected seams and reinforced corners. Made from durable water-resistant materials. Removable zippered top can be removed easily removed for indoor use & closed for outdoor use to provide shade. Zippered door provides easy in/out access for your pet. Close the door to keep your pet safely inside.
- 🐾 BUY WITH CONFIDENCE 🐾 We’ve got your back with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Reach out to us in case of any issues with your pet playpen and we’ll do all we can to make it right. Click ‘Add to Cart’ now and make living with your four-legged best friend happier!
- Sturdy construction with reinforced seams
- Detachable top cover
- Comes with a carrying case and collapsible bowl
- Non-detachable bottom sheet
A4Pet Portable Foldable Pet Playpen – Best with Full-Sized Mesh
Design-wise, the A4Pet pen is quite different from the norm. All-around, this pen features full-sized windows. There are no pockets in the lower section as seen in the other models.
I don’t know about you, but I definitely like this design. I think it helps my dog relax better as he can see the surroundings without having to stand up. And expectedly, increasing the mesh size skyrockets the breathability and aeration.
However, this might not be suitable for relentlessly chewing dogs. Don’t get my wrong, though. The mesh windows themselves are strong enough to withstand occasional biting. But limiting their size would make them less likely to tear down.
Despite their design creativity, A4Pet doesn’t provide color or size variation. This pen comes only in dark grey with 21 inches in height and 46 inches in width and length.
Also, an Amazon customer was pretty disappointed with the bottom seal. She said accidents could easily leak through the zippers onto the floor. To be fair, a single review isn’t enough to deem this pen faulty. Maybe this customer was unlucky enough to receive a defective product.
Then again, it’ll be a good idea to line it with napkins, at least until you try for yourself.
- This pet playpen provide plenty of space for your cat or dog. Large enough to accommodate sleeping bed, blanket, food & water bowl, litter box and toys. Dimension: 46" L x 46" W x 21"
- Waterproof bottom protect your floor from dampness, dirt,hair and accident.
- Easy to clean: the mesh shade cover and waterproof bottom are completely removable
- It can be folded completely flat for carrying and storage
- It can be used at home, traveling and driving.
- Large capacity
- Sturdy zippers
- Full-sized mesh windows
- Removable top and bottom for easier cleaning
- It doesn’t have enough pockets
- Accidents might leak through the bottom zippers
Furhaven Pet Indoor/Outdoor Mesh Playpen – Best for Outdoors
Who said pens are strictly for indoor use? Purchasing a suitable one can allow your dog to enjoy the next camping trip with you! If this is something that you want, you should find the Furhaven pen definitely useful.
First and foremost, the flexible construction of this pen permits for surprisingly compact folding. And don’t worry, it doesn’t have any special parts that would make folding it a nuisance.
After folding the panels into a flat sheet, all you have to do is to twist them into 2 circles. Then, gently push these circles into each other. If done right, the pen should look like a circle slightly bigger than a splayed hand.
To make it easier to carry around, this pen comes with a carrying case that perfectly matches the folded size. As an additional perk, Furhaven ships 3 stakes to fix the pen onto the ground when assembled above the grass.
I only wish Furhaven had gone the extra mile by adding a couple of pockets. Right now, its six sides are reserved for the door and meshes. Although this enhances aeration, it would’ve been useful to have at least one pocket to store toys.
- PET FRIENDLY DESIGN: The dog playpen features a tent housing design that promotes security and provides an enclosed space for small pets to play or lounge; the light mesh 'windows' and ceiling deliver great air flow and visibility
- PERFECT FOR TRAVEL: The playpen is an easy-open, pop-up tent that can be assembled - and put away - within minutes; its flexible construction makes it highly portable, which is perfect for outdoor activities such as hiking, camping, and picnics
- OPEN WITH CARE: The playpen's foldable pop-up design makes it highly portable and ideal for outdoors, but please exercise caution and care when unfolding the tent to avoid startling yourself and those around you
- PRODUCT DETAILS: Gray; Extra Large, 51" x 44" x 29.5"
- AVAILABLE VARIANTS: The playpen comes in Hunter Green, Sailor Blue, and Gray; it's also available in Small, Medium, Large, and Extra Large
- Spacious capacity
- It folds into a small circle
- It comes with a carrying case and 3 outdoor stakes
- It doesn’t have external pockets
- Might not be sturdy enough for feisty dogs
Zampa Portable Foldable Pet Playpen – The Largest
Dogs can’t relax without their toys, can they? But it won’t be appropriate to cram an already-small pen with such toys. In that case, you ought to go bigger on the pen size.
For this matter, I couldn’t find anything better than Zampa. Their large pen measures 30 inches in height and 61 inches in width and length This way, it can spaciously fit a sleeping bed, blanket, bowl, litter box, and, surely, toys.
Frankly, I was worried about the pen firmness the minute I saw its huge size. But I was instantly relieved when I learned that it has 8 panels. If you’re unfamiliar, most of the other panels have only 6, which makes it impossible to increase the capacity.
To make things even better, Zampa reinforced all the seams and corners with extra-sturdy material. Not only does this mean longer durability, but it’s also a lot safer for your precious friend. That said, the Zampa pen should be the definite choice if you have a peppy puppy!
Externally, this pen is equipped with mesh and velcro pockets to store the small belongings of your dog.
Just like Furhaven, Zampa provides an extra advantage by shipping a carrying case and 4 stakes for outdoor use.
- Quality: protected seams and reinforced corners to ensure your pet's safety Made from Durable quality & water-resistant materials
- DESIGN Our stylish 8-Panel Puppy play pen, is designed with spacious interior, with features as bottle holder from the outside and Exterior side pockets provide a handy place for personal items etc.
- MEASUREMENTS: playpen size 61" Dia, x 31'' H, Panel size: 20-1/3' W x 31" Door Size: 15" Dia. x 18" H, Mesh Cover Diameter: 46", Carrying Case Size: 31" x 25"
- WHAT TO EXPECT FROM ZAMPA: Playpen, Mesh top to zip on when when needed, 4 metal spikes for outdoor safety, Carrying case, and and a commitment from out customer service team, please don't hesitate to contact our customer service and BARK, we will make it right
- NO ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Pops up in seconds, no assembly needed, folds Flat, lightweight easy to carry,for your convenience we made a video for instructions how to fold
- Extra spacious capacity
- Equipped with convenient pockets
- Comes with a carrying case and outdoor stakes
- Reinforced seams and corners
- You can choose from a wide color variety
- A bit expensive
X-Zone Portable Dog Playpen – The Smallest
With playpens, a large size isn’t always the best. Placing your chihuahua in the Zampa pen, for instance, would be a burden to clean daily. If you have a similarly-tiny dog, the X-Zone pen should be your perfect choice.
In the medium version, this pen measures 36 inches in diameter and 23 inches in height. They also have a smaller size with 29 inches in diameter and 17 inches in height.
In the medium and large pens, you’ll be able to store your dog’s toys in the small velcro pocket placed on the front face. There’s also a small hole in which you can fit a water feeder to avoid the mess of a bowl. In this small version, however, these perks aren’t included.
If you have a teething puppy, the X-Zone pen should be your best bet. Since it’s made of 600D oxford cloth, it’ll be sturdy enough for the sharpest teeth.
Furthermore, all the mesh windows are made with the tiniest holes possible. This way, they can be stronger without impairing breathability.
If your dog prefers chilling in the shade, you can still take him out to enjoy a cool breeze away from the sun. This is possible thanks to the sunshade added on the top cover.
- Puppy Playpen Dimensions: 36”(Diameter) x 23" (Height);Please Measure your Pets before purchase. All dimensions are measured manually, please allow deviation of 1 inch.
- Sets up in seconds and requires no assembly; folds back flat when not in use for easy carrying and storing.
- Locking zippers for safety and security;suitable for a variety of pets indoors or outdoors.
- Side pockets for easy storage;1 mesh pocket to store water bottle.
- Removable top cover and washable floor mat;Made of durable 600D Oxford fabric and mesh panels,8 mesh windows provide plenty of ventilation.
- Superior fabric strength
- Equipped with storage pockets
- It can be used with a water bottle.
- It might feel a bit hard to fold
Etna Dog Playpen – Best Design
Who said dog pens have to be colored in a boring solid tone? Opting for a colorful design can actually make it easier to train your dog. If this interests you, I think you should consider this pen from Etna.
Toward the bottom, each wall features a white fence illustration over a green background. The top fabric, on the other hand, is colored in blue with a bunch of cloud illustrations. So all in all, this pen looks like a tiny garden specially designed for your lovely friend.
Of course, such a design would look stunning outdoors. That’s why Etna equipped this pen with staking loops toward the bottom. Although it doesn’t ship free stakes like X-Zone, you can still buy them separately.
On the downside, it might be a bit small for large breeds. The largest edition has a diameter of 36 inches and a height of 23 inches. It’s important to check whether this size is enough before purchase since you might not be eligible for a refund.
Additionally, many clients complained about a plastic smell that was pretty strong during the first days after purchase. However, almost all of them reported positive feedback after proper aeration. One customer suggested using a pet odor control spray to speed up the process.
- Keeps your pet dog and cat safe and secure indoor & outdoors use
- Pop-up design ,portable, folds for easy travel No Tools Required Set-up and fold-away in seconds
- Loops on bottom for staking into ground if needed.Water resistant base
- Dimensions for large 36" X 36" X 23" height
- Top zippers off for easy access - Zippered front door so your pet can walk in and out.
- Cute design
- Equipped with staking loops
- It might have a strong plastic smell at first
- It can be too small for large breeds
- It doesn’t have external pockets
AmazonBasics Portable Soft Dog Playpen – Most Affordable
If you have a puppy, I’d recommend sticking to an affordable pen. This way, when your puppy outgrows it, you can conveniently upgrade to a bigger, sturdier one. For this matter, the AmazonBasics pen should be the best.
With a diameter of 35 inches and a height of 24 inches, this pen can be big enough for the majority of breeds. Even if you used it with a muscly dog, it should be able to stand its ground with the sturdy oxford canvas construction.
In terms of waterproofness, most of the users were satisfied. The fabric is capable of holding any accident inside until you clean it. For the best results, Amazon advises against machine washing and dry cleaning. You can easily remove all the moisture using only napkins.
For convenience, this pen is equipped with auto-popping frames. After you unfold it, it should assume the assembled position with the lightest touch. Consequently, your dog won’t be able to fold it by accident by biting the frame.
Unfortunately, many users were upset with the poor quality of the zippers. Some said the teeth kept getting stuck while others stated that the zipper itself broke in pieces. Obviously, the pen would be totally useless if any of these incidents occur.
- 35 inch, 8-sided soft pet playpen for travel, indoor or outdoor use
- Ideal for pets such as small dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs and more
- Easily collapses down for storage
- Enclosed mesh top and windows with oxford canvas walls and floor
- Velcro pouch for treats, toys, and supplies
- Sturdy oxford canvas construction
- Reinforced seams
- The zippers aren’t durable enough
EliteField 2-Door Soft Pet Playpen – Best Value
The last recommendation in my roundup is such a great pen from EliteField. Unlike the other featured products, this pen has 2 mesh doors. This way, your dog can have tons of fun by simply walking back and forth through it.
Toward the front, this pen is equipped with 2 spacious velcro pockets for versatile use. On the opposite side, there’s also a pocket to store your dog’s water feeder. Surely, there’s a small hole from which the dog can reach the feeder’s nozzle.
To facilitate cleaning, it’s possible to remove the floor sheet and carefully wash it. I think this is a lot more convenient than having to squeeze yourself in to clean the smallest corners.
Design-wise, this pen comes in a wide array of solid colors. This can be quite useful when you’re trying to get a pen that matches the style of your furniture.
The only thing I’m not that fond of is the price. I don’t think this pen is unique enough to cost this much. But to make up for this fact, EliteField gives a generous 2-year warranty. If you noticed a faulty zipper or a torn area, you can conveniently return it for a brand new pen.
- Size: 62" x 62" x 36"H, 6" to 12" higher than most other brand 62" soft pet playpens; a free carrying bag and 4 free ground stakes included
- Set-up and fold-down in seconds; suitable for a variety of pets indoors or outdoors
- Two doors with locking zippers for safety and security; two accessory pockets and a water bottle pocket and holder on the pet playpen.
- Removable zip-off and washable floor mat and top cover; well-ventilated, stylish, lightweight portable and durable pet playpen
- 2 Year Warranty from EliteField, a New York-based Pet Product Manufacturer. The "EliteField" brand is ranked #1 under Amazon's "Soft Pet Playpen" category. This can be seen through searching for "Soft Pet Playpen" on Amazon. Product Quality Guarantee, 100% Money-Back Guarantee, Customer Satisfaction Guarantee (See important information in "Product Description" section below)
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Equipped with 2 storage pockets
- Comes with a carrying case
- The bottom sheet can be detached for easier cleaning
- Quite expensive
What to Consider Before Buying an Indoor Dog Pen with Floor
To be honest, you can’t go wrong with dog pens. Almost all pens can be good enough to keep your dog safe within.
However, if you’re looking to step up the game, there are some tips that could help you make a more suitable purchase.
First Things First, Do You Need a Dog Pen?
The first thing that might pop into your mind is, why do you need a pen? Why can’t you suffice with a crate? Well, we can confidently agree that pens and crates have 2 different uses. For the best results, I recommend having both.
But don’t take my word for it. Here are some of the situations that show the sheer importance of pens.
A Pen Can Eliminate the Need of Puppy-Proofing
If you have recently got a puppy, he probably has started biting on everything that gets in his way. I know how frustrating this can get, but it certainly would feel like nothing when your little puppy grows big and strong.
However, puppies can also be curious about dangerous items. Biting wires, for instance, can cause burns and permanent scars. Ideally, you should puppy-proof your house with plastic wire sleeves.
Unfortunately, wires aren’t the only problem. You’ll have to thoroughly analyze your house in search of possible risks. Since this takes time, a portable pan can be used as a temporary solution.
A Pen Is Crucial for Hours of Confinement
If your dog hasn’t been house-trained yet, he can’t be left to freely roam around the house. However, if you’re leaving for an 8-hour workday, you can’t confine him in a crate.
As you already know, dogs crave physical activity. In fact, giving them a brief walk right before you leave can decrease the likelihood of developing separation anxiety.
Likewise, leaving your dog in a big area to go about playing with his favorite toys can help him relax.
The Wider, the Better
Each canine companion has his own set of unique traits. If you have spent enough time with your dog, you should know the nuances that make him happier.
Since pens are bigger than crates, you can provide whatever makes him happy. You can put a bed, blanket, food, water, toys, and pretty much everything else.
Soft-Sided vs. Metal Dog Pens
In this article, I focused on soft-sided pens that have floors. However, if you briefly google it, you should find completely different pens made of metal. What should you choose? This depends on your needs.
Soft-Sided Pens Are Quicker to Assemble
To be fair, metal pens aren’t complicated, but they take time to assemble. They come as panels pre-connected by hinges and folded over each other. To start, you have to hold them into the shape you want and attach the free ends together with metal clips.
Then, to make sure it holds its shape, you must secure each corner with special pieces of plastic. Afterward, you might want to add some stakes to prevent the dog from dragging the pen around.
On the other hand, soft pens are much simpler. More times than not, they’re equipped with metal frames that pop into position by a light touch. And that’s it! That’s all you have to do.
Soft-Sided Pens Are Easier to Clean
If you plan on keeping your dog indoors, soft pens should be your best bet. Since they have their own floors, it’ll be much easier to clean accidents without leaving a trace on your actual floor.
Metal pens, oppositely, require towels to be placed underneath. But as your dog moves, the towels might curl and crease. If you have a puppy, this would make it harder for him to go about his day.
Metal Pens Are Much Sturdier
The convenience of soft pens would be totally useless if your dog is strong enough to take it down. No matter how strong the fabric is, adult dogs will be able to defy it. That said, I won’t recommend soft pens unless with puppies and well-trained adults.
Metal Pens Can Be a Lot Bigger
Expectedly, metal pens can be fabricated to cover areas much bigger than soft pens.
For instance, Zampa Soft Playpen, the largest on my list, can only cover a diameter of 61 inches. The BestPet Metal Playpen doubles this area by a whooping diameter of 126 inches.
Therefore, metal pens would be better for large, adult dogs.
Consider the Size
Obviously, you don’t want to purchase a pen that feels as tight as crates.
Some brands explicitly provide suitable dog sizes for their products, but others don’t. In that case, you’ll have to figure it out on your own.
To do this, draw an imaginary area on the floor and place your dog inside it together with his belongings. Ideally, your dog should be able to walk, stand, lie down, and use his stuff without any interference.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long can you leave a dog in a playpen?
Ideally, you shouldn’t keep your puppy isolated for more than 2 consecutive hours. Adult dogs can be left a bit longer in case you have to leave for work.
Either way, keep an eye on your dog. If you notice negative behaviors, stop using the pen, and consult your vet.
Should you cover a dog crate with a blanket?
It depends. Dogs suffering from claustrophobia would be highly irritated by this behavior. If your dog likes it, there would be no harm.
To conclude this roundup, I can say that Ruff ‘n Ruffus has the best indoor dog pen with a floor. Its sturdy construction and reinforced seams should guarantee long durability.
If you want something more colorful, consider the Etna Puppy Playpen. It features an absolutely cute design with a fence and clouds.
If you’re interested in saving some bucks, the AmazonBasics Soft Playpen should suit you. With the oxford canvas construction, it should last for a long time.
Remember, it’s crucial to double-check your dog’s size before you order. Lastly, I wish you the best time with your little friend.