How often have you spent time unsuccessfully calling out to your dog?
One of the smartest investments I ever made was buying a GPS wireless dog fence. It gave me the freedom to take my dog along on trips without worrying about him running off and getting lost.
Depending on your own situation, I’ve compiled a diverse list of the top GPS wireless dog fences. In this article I’ll review the top 5, categorized by best usage, to help choose the ideal one for you.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best GPS Wireless Dog Fences
- In a Rush? Check Out What We Recommend…
- Our Top Pick: Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle
- Runner Up: Garmin Delta Inbounds
- Best for High-End Model: Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 Combo
- Best for Buyers on a Budget: Garmin Astro 430/T 5 Dog Tracking Bundle
- Best Portable System: Garmin Astro 900 Dog Tracking Bundle
- What to Consider When Buying a GPS Wireless Dog Fence?
- Final Thoughts
5 Best GPS Wireless Dog Fences
Of course, you’ll want the best for your furry family member. To help you do so, I’ll evaluate these top 5 GPS wireless dog fence models so you can make an informed decision.
In a Rush? Check Out What We Recommend…
Our Top Pick: Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle
If you’re going to go all-in on a new wireless dog fence, you may as well pick this handy bundle. The new Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle is exactly what its title implies: A full collection of all of the elements that make up a top-quality modern dog fence.
Its list of included accessories is extremely impressive. If you’re ready to set up the ultimate wireless dog fence, the new Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle is by far our number one recommended choice.
- High-Sensitivity GPS with GLONASS. Display size is 1.53 wide x 2.55 high in inches and 3 inch diagonal
- Preloaded TOPO U.S. 100k maps.LED beacon lights and Rescue mode as well as Stimulation levels-Tone and Vibration
- Battery life 20-40 hrs. Display type : transflective, 65-K color TFT touchscreen
- Setup virtual boundaries on your map and receive an alert, automatically sends signal to recall
- 1-inch black collar strap, 5-inches standard and 13-inches extended range antennas
- Includes a handheld TT 15 training device
- GPS tracking for multiple dogs
- A specially designed long-range tracking device
- This unit may be a bit on the pricy side for some readers, although its full range of included options makes it an extremely worthy buy
Runner Up: Garmin Delta Inbounds
We’ve chosen the Garmin Delta Inbounds as our runner-up to the top wireless dog fence system. This is because we believe it has almost all of the important advantages that the Garmin Alpha 100 Bundle possesses.
It’s priced a bit more cheaply and doesn’t contain every customized luxury package element. But it’s an excellent starter model that deserves your attention.
- Wireless dog containment, activity tracking and training system with small, portable base unit and rechargeable on-collar Device
- Provides a containment Radius of up to 2 acres -roughly 150’ -for up to two dogs; allows a breached dog to return without correction to designated containment area
- Comfortable plastic contacts allow for extended wear and are provided in long and short sizes to accommodate various polycarbonate lengths
- Industry-leading built-in barklimiter Feature helps deter nuisance barking
- Works with the free Garmin CANINE app on your smartphone to help you monitor activity
- Fully wireless containment system with activity and GPS tracking features
- Containment radius of up to 2 full acres
- Built-in “bark limiter” restrains excessive barking
- As stated above, contains most, but not all, of the luxury customized features of the Alpha 100 Dog Bundle
Best for High-End Model: Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 Combo
If money is no object or you have saved up long enough to buy the absolute best Garmin wireless dog fence combo, we recommend the new Garmin Alpha 100 TT15 Combo. We didn’t include it as our top choice because of its somewhat pricy nature.
However, if you’re determined to have everything in one bundle, this is definitely the best way to go. It includes everything you need to create the ultimate safe and trustworthy wireless dog fence system.
- [GARMIN ALPHA 100 TT15 COMBO] - Garmin Alpha 100 Handheld Dog GPS, Standard & Extended Range Antennas, 1-Year BirdsEye Satellite Subscription, Belt Clip, Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery, USB Wall & Car Adapters, Garmin Field Bag and more
- [PLAYBETTER'S COLLAR BUNDLE] - Extra Reflective Dog Collars, PlayBetter Portable Charger & GPS Tether Lanyard
- [MULTI-DOG TRACKING GPS & REMOTE TRAINING] - Tracks up to 20 dogs or buddies from up to 9 miles + 18 training levels of continuous and momentary stimulation + Measures dogs’ speed and distance traveled
- [100K US MAPS PRE-LOADED + 1-YEAR BIRDS EYE SATELLITE] - Using GPS and GLONASS tracking, you'll be able to find your way safely and accurately with the 1-Year BirdsEye Satellite Subscription included with the purchase!
- [ALL INCLUSIVE DOG GPS & TRAINING BUNDLE] - This package has everything you need to achieve optimum performance from your sporting dogs - from the accuracy of the Alpha 100's satellite readings to the power of the extended range antennas, combined with the handy Garmin Field Bag, Extra Reflective Dog Collars and GPS Tether Lanyard - you'll be ready to take full advantage of the next hunting season!
- Includes a full collar bundle selection: Extra Reflective Dog Collars, PlayBetter Portable Charger & GPS Tether Lanyard
- Handheld GPS combo bundle includes: Garmin Alpha 100 Handheld Dog GPS, Standard & Extended Range Antennas, 1-Year BirdsEye Satellite
- Multi-dog tracking for up to 20 dogs
- Definitely the priciest item on this list
- Not recommended for the casual dog owner who only has 1 or 2 dogs to enclose
Best for Buyers on a Budget: Garmin Astro 430/T 5 Dog Tracking Bundle
The new Garmin Astro 430/T 5 Dog Tracking Bundle is our top pick for buyers on a budget. It contains all of the essential elements you will need to keep your dog safely within the bounds you have set for them. It’s priced just right so that it won’t put a huge dent in your household budget.
- Expanded dog capability - track up to 20 dogs from a range of up to 9 miles
- GPS/glonass - high-sensitivity GPS and glonass satellite reception has the ability to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Preloaded mapping - includes preloaded topo U.S. 100K mapping and a free 1-year birdseye satellite imagery subscription
- Hunt metrics - hunt metrics dog performance data shows distance traveled, time afield and more, so you can train your dog more effectively.Optional battery - optional in-unit rechargeable nimh battery Pack or uses standard AA battery power
- Dimension(inches):2.4 x 6.3 x 1.4. Battery life - up to 20 hours (Astro 430)
- The system can track up to 20 dogs from a range of 9 miles
- GPS/GLONASS system tracks dogs in challenging environments
- Included Hunt Metrics system allows you to track and train your dog more effectively
- It’s priced very affordably but may lack some of the finer and more customizable features of more expensive Garmin systems
Best Portable System: Garmin Astro 900 Dog Tracking Bundle
The Garmin Astro 900 Dog Tracking Bundle is the most affordable completely portable system for tracking multiple dogs at long range. The system contains everything you need to keep full track of up to 20 dogs even in challenging environments.
- Track up to 20 dogs with the 2.6” color display; pair with T 9 dog devices for a range of up to 5 miles (8 km); uses 900 MHz FHSS, approved for operation in Canada and the U.S.
- 2.5-second update rate provides faster location tracking when dogs are on the run
- High-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS satellite reception has the ability to track in more challenging environments than GPS alone
- Preloaded TOPO mapping for the U.S. and southern Canada and a free 1-year Birdseye Satellite Imagery subscription for better location awareness
- Hunt Metrics dog data analyzes dog’s speed, distance traveled and time afield so you can review and train more effectively
- Tracks up to 20 dogs at a range of 5 miles
- High-sensitivity GPS and GLONASS satellite reception
- Preloaded TOPO mapping for the U.S. and southern Canada
- The most affordable long-range system for multiple dogs. However, the system range is 5 miles rather than 9 like some of the other systems on this list
What to Consider When Buying a GPS Wireless Dog Fence?
To pick the most suitable one for your dog, it’s a good idea to consider some factors.
Most models allow you to set a boundary area in the form of a radius. While a few others give the option of setting a designated shaped area. In the case of the latter, you get a better chance of more precisely selecting the boundaries.
The accuracy may be a bit off if you are using the dog fence in an area where there are many devices present that use GPS.
To help avoid this you can simply narrow down your desired area. By doing so, you essentially create a buffer zone to help ensure your dog won’t cross over the boundary.
Different models support different numbers of dogs. Some can be paired with an unlimited amount of collars, while others are limited to just 1 or 2.
Another thing to consider is fit. Always check the collar size and weight allowance before buying to make sure it’s appropriate for your pet.
Alerts and Correction Levels
Depending on the model, the collar can be configured to use tone, vibration, or static stimulation to alert your dog they are approaching their boundary.
You also get different correction levels, or levels of intensity, which progresses as your dog gets closer to the boundary.
These questions from other customers may be helpful when deciding to buy a GPS wireless fence.
Is static stimulation safe?
Yes, using static simulation to train your dog is reported to be both safe and painless.
What other functions can the GPS fence perform?
Apart from setting the boundaries for your dog, most models allow you to upgrade your system to be able to make use of some extra features.
- You can use it to track your furry friends
- It can be a useful aid when training your dog
Buying a quality GPS wireless fence can be one of the best investments that you can make for yourself and your pet.
I found the PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System to be the best overall, it’s portable and relatively painless to set up. It has a good range, and you can pair as many collars as you want with the transmitter. It’s also pretty reasonably priced compared to other similar models.