How often have you spent time unsuccessfully calling out to your dog?
One of the smartest investments I ever made was buying a GPS wireless dog fence. It gave me the freedom to take my dog along on trips without worrying about him running off and getting lost.
Depending on your own situation, I’ve compiled a diverse list of the top GPS wireless dog fences. In this article I’ll review the top 5, categorized by best usage, to help choose the ideal one for you.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- 5 Best GPS Wireless Dog Fence
- Best Overall – PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System
- Best for Coverage – SportDOG In-Ground Fence System
- Best for Small Dogs – Extreme Dog Fence
- Best Hybrid System – Pet Control HQ Dog Containment System
- Best for Budget – PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence
- What to Consider When Buying a GPS Wireless Dog Fence?
- Final Thoughts
5 Best GPS Wireless Dog Fence
Of course, you’ll want the best for your furry family member. To help you do so, I’ll evaluate these top 5 GPS wireless dog fence models so you can make an informed decision.
Best Overall – PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System
So, if you’re vacationing you can easily take it along. It takes just a couple of hours to set up. It’s also waterproof, making it suitably functional in various weather conditions.
Another perk is the option of adding an extra transmitter, which allows you to widen the boundary area.
Moreover, this model allows you to set the same boundary area for multiple dogs.
A reported disadvantage is that sometimes it gives alerts even when your pet is within the boundary area, which can be confusing for them.
- WATERPROOF COLLAR: The waterproof collar comfortably fits dogs 8 pounds and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6 to 28 inches; compatible with all PetSafe Wireless Fence transmitters
- LONG BATTERY LIFE: The collar battery lasts up to 2 months before the low battery indicator alerts you to replace the battery; uses the PetSafe RFA 67D 11 battery
- PERSONALIZE YOUR DOG'S COLLAR SETTINGS: Teach your pets to stay in the secure play area with a sound only training mode plus 5 levels of static on his receiver collar. Tone-only mode alerts your pet with a beep
- ADD MORE THAN 1 PET: Unlimited number of collars can be added to the fence system and set to match your pets' personalities
- CROSS COMPATIBLE: This Receiver Collar is also compatible with the PetSafe Free To Roam and PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence Systems; NOT compatible with PetSafe In Ground Fences or Remote Trainers. Works with PIF-300, PIF00-12917, IF-300.
Boundary Area: ½ an acre – Circular
Pet Weight: 8+ lbs
Battery Life: 2 months
- Supports multiple pets
- Waterproof collar
- Sometimes it gives an alert even if your dog is within boundaries
Best for Coverage – SportDOG In-Ground Fence System
This hybrid wireless and in-ground fence system from SportDog is an ideal option if you’re looking for a long-term solution. It covers a big area and can be extended to 100 acres.
It comes equipped to readily install everything you need for the in-ground system. This includes a wire-break alarm, which allows you to easily pinpoint if there’s a break in the underground wiring after installation.
This one is appropriate to install on a farm, for example. A place where you’ll have a constant need to monitor your dog’s movement.
The fact that you can pair it with an unlimited number of collars is a great advantage as well.
The waterproof collar has various alert types including tone, vibration, and 4 levels of static stimulation.
It’s a hassle to dig up the land to install the underground fence though. However, it can be worth it in the long run.
- Easy-to-install containment and training kit includes everything needed to cover 1 1/3 acres of land for one dog; can be expanded to cover 100 acres with more wire and flags (sdf-wf) Contain + Train
- Waterproof, rechargeable collar works with the fence boundary and the handheld remote; you choose when you want it to work with each system (fence, trainer, or both)
- Contain an unlimited number of dogs with additional collars (sdf-ctr); train up to three dogs with included remote
- Choose between Tone (beep), vibration (Buzz), or one of seven levels of static stimulation to contain/train your dog
- Transmitter features wire break alarm and built in Lightning Protector
Boundary Area: 1 1/3 acre
Pet Weight: 10+ lbs
Battery Life: 6 – 12 months
- Covers a large area
- Includes wire-break alarm
- Supports multiple pets
- Long and tiresome installation process
Best for Small Dogs – Extreme Dog Fence
This model from Extreme Dog Fence is one of the most versatile, with options of 500 up to set your boundary area. You can set it up and easily extend the area by adding more wire. You also get the choice of adding up to 5 dogs.
The collar is lightweight, waterproof, and submersible. It can accommodate a pup starting at 8 lbs. This makes it ideal if you have a smaller-sized or a young dog. This collar has 5 correction levels which you can customize according to preference.
The downside of this model is the price, which is considerably higher than its counterparts.
- 🎖️ Improved: The 2nd Generation eXtreme Dog Fence STANDARD GRADE Kit Covers Up to 6 Acres. The Updated Electronics are Designed for Compatibility with New Collar Options. 3 Antennas, 12x Battery Check, +More
- 🎖️ Waterproof and Submersible: Most Other Inground Dog Fence Systems Claim to be "Water Resistant". The eXtreme Dog Fence Includes a Collar Receiver that is COMPLETELY Waterproof, and Can be Submerged up to 10' Deep. Your Dog Can Swim with the Collar on and Won't Affect it's Functionality
- 🎖️ Standard Fence Kit Includes: 20 Gauge High Tensile Boundary Wire with Heavy Protective Jacket, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Training Flags and Splice Kits
- 🎖️ Guarantee: This Underground Dog Fence Includes a 1 Year Warranty. When You Register Your Fence, Your Warranty eXtends to 5 Years. This Fence WILL Contain Your Dog and has Been Manufactured for More than 25 Years and Carries a Stellar Reputation for Reliability and Performance
- 🎖️ U.S.A. : These Electric Fences for Dogs Are Proudly Manufactured in the Good Old United States of America. We are Standing By to Provide You Top Level Assistance and Support in Setting Up Your Fence, Training Your Dogs and Puppies, or Troubleshooting Any Issue that Comes Up
Boundary Area: Up to 6 acres
Pet Weight: 8+ lbs
Battery Life: N/A
- Suitable for small-sized dogs
- Light and waterproof collar
Best Hybrid System – Pet Control HQ Dog Containment System
This model offers a dual system of wireless and wired technology. This containment system comes with a durable 13 gauge wire and a remote transmitter that can be used simultaneously or separately.
The system consists of a transmitter and a remote. The transmitter has 3 static stimulation levels, with an added 7 levels for the remote You can control up to 3 collars with the remote.
There are some reports of problems with the collar design, rendering the contact points to be occasionally weak.
- WIRELESS DOG FENCE SYSTEM IN ANY YARD: Pet parents with large yards and complicated spaces say this combination of a wireless pet training system and custom above or below ground wired design gives them peace of mind that their best friend has up to 10 acres of safe roaming. Outdoor your dogs stay in the safe zone
- DUAL ZONE PET CONTAINMENT SYSTEM: Enjoy the benefits of an easy-to-layout dog wireless fence system, plus 492 feet of 20 gauge inground, above ground, underground electric dog fence wire; The solid core wire and thick outer coating stands up to any weather and lets you shape your dog barrier fences to stop your dogs dig
- DOG FENCE BARRIER BREAK STUBBORN HABITS FAST: Our wireless dog training collar with remote control up to 3 separate shock collars with a beep and vibration mode levels 1-10 that works wonders to quickly perimeter train dogs; Plus, the electric shock collar levels 1-10 get attention and stop stubborn behavior fast, even the jumping, playful biting, digging, ends complaints from neighbors
- PEACE OF MIND + LONG BATTERY LIFE: This 12-hour Comfort Collar features an 8-second shut down that stops the shock for pet safety; Plus this collar has long-lasting batteries that give you 3 to 7 days of pet containment and remote dog training, and a rapid rechargeable battery station that charges batteries in 2-3 hours - without losing the ability to recharge (even after years of use)
- SAFE SHOCK COLLAR: fits small, medium and large dogs. Adjustable collar strap fits dog neck sizes ranging between 8 - 27 inches. Suitable for dogs weighing between 11 and 154 pounds. The adjustable collar-receiver is waterproof (IPX7 Rated) and rechargeable. The perimeter shock collar beeps, vibrates and has 3 automatic progressive levels of correction. It’s safe, painless and humane
Boundary Area: Up to 10 acres
Pet Weight: 11+ lbs
Battery Life: N/A
- Dual system that can function separately
- For bigger sized dogs
- Unreliable contact points on the collar
Best for Budget – PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence
Another model from PetSafe, this one’s for you if your dog is a stubborn one! The collar has 5 correction levels that are designed to help train your dog to stay within bounds.
The collar is waterproof and adjustable. You are also able to pair multiple collars with this model.
If you already have a wire installed this one is ideal for you. However, if you don’t you’ll need to purchase one separately.
- FOR STUBBORN DOGS: The system features the highest intensity of static correction with 5 levels of correction as well as a tone plus vibration mode; this system is designed for pets 8 pounds and up
- CHOOSE YOUR WIRE: In-ground wire is sold separately so that you can purchase the gauge best for your yard; PetSafe offers Standard (20 Gauge) and Heavy Duty (16 Gauge) in varying lengths
- RUN-THROUGH PREVENTION: The correction level will increase if your pet tries to run through the boundary zone; an automatic safety shut-off will stop correction after 30 seconds
- FOR HEARING-IMPAIRED DOGS: The tone plus vibration mode is ideal for training hearing-impaired dogs
- WATERPROOF COLLAR: The battery-operated, waterproof collar is submersible up to 3 feet; collar adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches
Boundary Area: Up to 10 acres
Pet Weight: 8+ lbs
Battery Life: N/A
- Suitable for stubborn dogs
- The wire needs to be purchased separately
What to Consider When Buying a GPS Wireless Dog Fence?
To pick the most suitable one for your dog, it’s a good idea to consider some factors.
Most models allow you to set a boundary area in the form of a radius. While a few others give the option of setting a designated shaped area. In the case of the latter, you get a better chance of more precisely selecting the boundaries.
The accuracy may be a bit off if you are using the dog fence in an area where there are many devices present that use GPS.
To help avoid this you can simply narrow down your desired area. By doing so, you essentially create a buffer zone to help ensure your dog won’t cross over the boundary.
Different models support different numbers of dogs. Some can be paired with an unlimited amount of collars, while others are limited to just 1 or 2.
Another thing to consider is fit. Always check the collar size and weight allowance before buying to make sure it’s appropriate for your pet.
Alerts and Correction Levels
Depending on the model, the collar can be configured to use tone, vibration, or static stimulation to alert your dog they are approaching their boundary.
You also get different correction levels, or levels of intensity, which progresses as your dog gets closer to the boundary.
These questions from other customers may be helpful when making the decision to buy a GPS wireless fence.
Is static stimulation safe?
Yes, using static simulation to train your dog is reported to be both safe and painless.
What other functions can the GPS fence perform?
Apart from setting the boundaries for your dog, most models allow you to upgrade your system to be able to make use of some extra features.
- You can use it to track your furry friends
- It can be a useful aid when training your dog
Buying a quality GPS wireless fence can be one of the best investments that you can make for yourself and your pet.
I found the PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System to be the best overall, it’s portable and relatively painless to set up. It has a good range, and you can pair as many collars as you want with the transmitter. It’s also pretty reasonably priced compared to other similar models.