Want to install and underground dog fence? Wondering how much an underground dog fence costs? In this article we’ll cover the two types of invisible fences both wireless and underground and how much it costs to buy the hardware as well as install them.
Before we dive in to the costs let’s briefly go over the two types so you get your question answered.
If you already know the difference between an underground wired fence versus a wireless transmitted fence then simply scroll down or use the table of contents to jump to your appropriate section.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- How Does An Invisible Electric Dog Fence (Wireless or Underground) Work?
- The Two Types Of Invisible Fences – Underground Fence And Wireless Fence
- How Much Does An Underground Dog Fence (Type I Invisible Fence) Cost?
- How Much Does A Wireless Dog Fence (Type II Invisible Fence) Cost?
- How Much Does It Cost For A Professional Install Of An Underground Fence?
- How Much Does It Cost For A Professional Install Of An Wireless Fence?
- What Is Included In The Price Of Invisible Fence?
- How Much Does It Cost To Train Your Dog On An Invisible Fence (Underground Or Wireless)?
- Is Invisible Fence Worth The Investment?
- What Are The Cheaper Alternatives To Invisible Fence?
How Does An Invisible Electric Dog Fence (Wireless or Underground) Work?
Underground fences and wireless fences create an invisible boundary around your property. They’re paired with receiver collars. When the receiver collar comes close to the boundary it creates a warning signal to your dog in the form of a beep or sound function, a vibration, or a small static correction (electric shock).
When properly trained this tells the dog to move back away from the invisible fence.
Both types of invisible fences use transmitters and that’s where they start to differ.
The Two Types Of Invisible Fences – Underground Fence And Wireless Fence
With a wireless fence, the transmitter sits in your house and creates an invisible boundary sphere around your property. You can adjust the diameter but that’s about it. It works great for small to medium sized yards that are roughly square in shape. Keep in mind it’s a circular boundary though and won’t count the corners.
With an underground fence the transmitter connects to a wire that you run around the length of your property. While this takes some work to dig it down a few inches, it also allows certain advantages:
- Wired underground fences work for any shape yard, not just circular ones.
- Wired fence wires can be chained together to enclose very large yards.
- You can use the double loop layout to block your dog from getting in your garden or pool as well as staying within the yard. See our article on layouts and the double loop method here.
How Much Does An Underground Dog Fence (Type I Invisible Fence) Cost?
Prices for underground dog fences will range depending on the brand and the length of wire you need to create the boundary and layout you desire. A basic kit will cost about $300 and includes 500 feet of wire. An upgrade to 2,000 feet of wire goes for $400 to $500. For even larger yards where you splice several 500 foot spools together you can pay up to $2,000 for the materials.
You can save a bit of money for larger yards by splicing in generic 14 gauge wire (or the same gauge as your kit). Generic 500 foot spools go for about $50. Branded “underground fence” spools can be up to $200 for 500 feet of wire.
The kit usually includes a transmitter, one or two receiver collars, 500+ feet of wire, and boundary flags for initial underground fence training. Check out some of the top underground fence brands below for current prices and availability.
Best Underground Fence for Small Dogs
- AN EASY COST EFFECTIVE AND SAFE WAY TO TRAIN AND CONTAIN YOUR DOG- Our Dual function electric dog fence and training collar system is a quick cost effective and practical solution allowing you to train your dog to stay in the yard and also train your pet when you are out for a walk ! 2 uses with the 1 kit !!
- USING HIGH QUALITY RECHARGEABLE AND WATERPROOF IPX7 WIRELESS COLLARS which will automatically send an Audible tone warning first as the dog approaches the electric dog fence boundary and then will automatically send a safe static correction and vibration in an auto sequence to safety train and contain your dog. Dogs Quickly learn to stay away or cross these boundaries.
- CUSTOMIZE THE ELECTRIC FENCE FOR DOGS TO SUIT YOUR YARD, our kit comes with Extra thick High Quality solid copper core Robust Polyolefin 13 AWG wire (Outer core) compared to standard PVC type wire installs for above or below ground and on existing fences too, customize the containment area to contain your dog or keep them out of areas you don’t want them to enter such as garden beds. Our Kit comes with 492FT (150m) drum. Expand your outdoor dog fence by adding more wire up to 10 Acres.
- OUR COLLARS ARE DESIGNED TO SUIT MOST SMALL,MEDIUM AND LARGE DOGS Weighing from 5-70 Kg (11-154 lb) with Collar fits Neck sizes of 8.2-26.5” (21-68cm) If you Have more than 1 Dog add extra collars, up to 3 collars can be paired to the 1 Remote for Manual training and unlimited collars can be used in fence mode
- INCLUDES (1) Waterproof and Rechargeable shock collar with remote trainer (1) dual USB Charging cable (1) x 492 FT (150m) Drum of heavy-duty 13 AWG outer core(1.8mm) thick boundary wire (1) x door/wall mounted transmitter with power adaptor with mounting screws and lugs (1) USB wall Charger, (2) short and long metal and plastic collar contact points (2) x Cable connectors (1) x test light (50) x training flags (1) Bonus Ultrasonic Training whistle and dog training and installation guide
Best Underground Fence for Large Dogs
- 2-IN-1 SOLUTION: This system is both an electric dog fence and a remote trainer, using a single collar for both. Designed for medium to large dogs (40 to 180 lbs)
- FENCE: 1 Collar Included. Contain any number of dogs (with add-on collars) on up to 1/3 acre. Includes 500 feet of 20 gauge underground dog fence wire, to be buried 1-3" deep
- REMOTE TRAINER: Use the handheld remote to train up to 3 dogs at a time. 10 static correction levels, 10 vibration levels, and a beep only function. Each collar set individually, per each dog's need
- RECHARGEABLE: The collars and the handheld remote are rechargeable. They run on internal 3.7v lithium ion batteries that fully charge (after first charge) in a 2 hour window
- ADDITIONAL FENCE PARTS - You Can Also Find Spools of Twisted Wire, Additional Dog Fence Collars, Batteries, Replacement Transmitters and Many Other Pet Related Products in Our Amazon Store
Best Underground Fence for Large Acreage
- Easy-to-install containment kit includes everything needed to cover 1 1/3 acres of land for one dog; can be expanded to cover 100 acres with more wire and flags (sdf-wf)
- Rechargeable collar features lithium-ion batteries with 2-hour quick charge and one to two month battery life: waterproof and submersible to 25 ft. With dryer technology
- Contain an unlimited number of dogs with additional collars (sdf-cr); fits dogs 10 lb. And up
- Collar gives Tone (beep) and vibration (Buzz) warning before moving to one of seven static stimulation levels (you choose the best level for your dog)
Best Underground Fence for 2 Dogs
- 🏆 Improved: This 2nd Generation eXtreme Dog Fence PRO GRADE KIT Easily Covers up to 10 Acres and has Updated Electronics with 3 Antennas, 12x Battery Check, Temp Check and Wire Check
- 🏆 Waterproof and Submersible: Most Other Inground Dog Fence Systems Claim to be "Water Resistant". The eXtreme Dog Fence Includes a Collar Receiver that is COMPLETELY Waterproof, and Can be Submerged to 10' Deep. Your Dog Can Swim with the Collar on and Won't Affect it's Functionality
- 🏆 Pro Grade Fence Kit Includes: Heavy Duty Boundary Wire, 16 Gauge Twisted Wire, Digital Transmitter, Collar Receiver(s) w/ Battery, Training Flags, Splice Kits, and 10 Staples
- 🏆 Guarantee: This Underground Dog Fence Includes a 1 Year Warranty. When You Register Your Fence, Your Warranty eXtends to 10 Years. This Fence WILL Contain Your Dog and has Been Manufactured for More than 25 Years and Carries a Stellar Reputation for Reliability and Performance
- 🏆 U.S.A. : These Electric Fences for Dogs Are Proudly Manufactured in the Good Old United States of America. We are Standing By to Provide You Top Level Assistance and Support in Setting Up Your Fence, Training Your Dogs and Puppies, or Troubleshooting Any Issue that Comes Up
Best Underground Fence for Stubborn Dogs
- CREATE A CUSTOM-SHAPED FENCE: Create a safe 1/3-acre play area for your best friend with the included 500 feet of wire; Purchase additional wire to expand up to a 25-acre yard
- FOR PERSISTENT PUPS: Receiver collar has a tone plus vibration mode and 4 levels of safe, static correction that you can adjust based on how your determined dog responds during training
- GREAT FOR HEARING-IMPAIRED PETS: If you best friend has a hard time hearing, the tone plus vibration mode will help him learn his new boundary area and keep him safe in the yard
- DIY INSTALLATION: This do-it-yourself weekend project lets you create a fence that fits your yard’s shape and size
- COLLAR FIT: The Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence Receiver Collar is waterproof and comfortably fits dogs 8 lb and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inch; For dogs 6 months and older
Best Underground Fence for Cats
- CREATE A SECURE YARD: Give your pets a secure yard to play in with our durable and weather resistant in ground containment system that includes electric surge protection
- PERSONALIZE YOUR DOG’S COLLAR SETTINGS: Teach your pets to stay in the secure play area with a sound only training mode plus 4 levels of static on his receiver collar
- FITS ANY YARD: This weekend do it yourself project comes with clear step by step instructions on how to design your personalized fence
- LIGHTWEIGHT, WATERPROOF RECEIVER COLLAR: Our collars are light, slim and designed to fit small, medium, large and x-large pets that are 8 pound and up with neck sizes 6 to 26 inch
- ADD MORE THAN 2 PETS: Unlimited number of collars can be added to the fence system and set each collar individually to match your dogs’ personality
How Much Does A Wireless Dog Fence (Type II Invisible Fence) Cost?
Wireless dog fences range from $100 on the low end to over $300 to $400 on the high end. Most high quality units cost $200 to $280. We have a ton of articles on this topic. Check out our articles here:
- The Best Wireless Dog Fences
- Best GPS Dog Fence
- Best Wireless Fences for Long Haired Dogs
- The Top Wireless Fences for Large Acreage
How Much Does It Cost For A Professional Install Of An Underground Fence?
Underground fences require light trenching to install the wire underground. Even though it only needs to be buried 3 to 12 inches underground, you can imagine this takes some work. Expect to pay about $2 to $3 per linear foot to install the wire and fence.
Training costs are separate and discussed below.
How Much Does It Cost For A Professional Install Of An Wireless Fence?
There’s really no need to install a wireless fence professionally. All you have to do is plug in the transmitter, charge the collar, place the collar on your dog, layout the boundary flags, and start training.
DIY wireless fence cost installation – $0
Perhaps a professional would charge your $50 or $100 to do this.
What Is Included In The Price Of Invisible Fence?
Again there are two types of invisible fence – wireless or underground.
Underground fences usually come with the following in a kit:
- Transmitter Box
- Thick gauge copper wire for the boundary
- Splice kits
- Boundary flags for initial dog training
- 1 or 2 shock collars or receiver collars
Wireless dog fence kits come with the same equipment minus the wire and splice kits:
- Transmitter Box
- Boundary flags for initial dog training
- 1 or 2 shock collars or receiver collars
How Much Does It Cost To Train Your Dog On An Invisible Fence (Underground Or Wireless)?
Private dog training to train your dog at your house on your invisible fence will range from $100 to $200 per hour. You’ll need at least two hours per week for 2 weeks. That will cost $400 on the low end and $800 on the high end.
If your dog requires more time it could cost a total of $1000 to $2000 to finish the training. This is especially if they have problems with distraction training, a key element of invisible fence training.
Is Invisible Fence Worth The Investment?
Yes, if you have the time or the money to conduct proper training. Invisible fences will cost just a few dollars per linear foot installed and training can be free. Installing a full privacy fence ranges from $8 up to $15 per linear foot or more.
You can save thousands, especially for large acreages, using an underground dog fence or invisible dog fence.
What Are The Cheaper Alternatives To Invisible Fence?
Boundary training! DIY boundary training to prevent your dog from leaving your property is free ($0). Read our full training on keeping your dog in your yard here.
Installing a privacy fence will cost more than an invisible fence. It’s usually 3 to 5 times as expensive. However, no training is required to keep your dog in the yard.