An unfortunate downside to owning a Yorkie is the sensitivity of their skin, which is highly susceptible to developing skin allergies. The products you use on your Yorkie are important, as the right one can help to alleviate some of the discomfort your dog may be experiencing. Many shampoos are currently available for dogs with allergies, from cruelty-free, natural options to medicated, long-term relief.
In this article, we will look at the five best shampoos you can buy for your Yorkie to help ease the issues that come with allergies, whether you are looking for temporary relief or long-term benefits.
Table of Contents
1. Vet’s Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo
Specifically formulated by veterinarians with allergy relief for sensitive dogs in mind, this shampoo uses ingredients aimed at alleviating irritation, including neem, tea tree oil and oatmeal. Working to moisturise the coat and soothe the skin, it focuses on taking the uncomfortable itch out of the skin and thoroughly washing away any irritants. This shampoo is particularly effective for seasonal allergies and for dogs who suffer with sensitive skin prone to itchiness and irritation.
- Most reviewers saw a difference in scratching and irritation quickly, with some seeing improvement within a single day of use.
- Many noted that the shampoo moisturised the coat instead of stripping it of its natural oils, an important step in keeping fur in good condition and helping to minimise irritation – this is particularly important for Yorkies, whose skin relies on these oils to keep it hydrated and keep allergies at bay.
- The use of tea tree oil is considered to bring a pleasant, clean smell to the coat.
- A number of reviewers found that a lot of product was required to create a lather, which can be wasteful as adequate lather is necessary for the shampoo to take effect.
2. Earthbath Fragrance Free Oatmeal and Aloe Shampoo
An unscented, soap free option, this shampoo contains soothing colloidal oatmeal and aloe vera, both of which are recommended ingredients to alleviate skin allergies and calm irritations. It works to deeply clean and moisturise both fur and skin, removing dry skin flakes or patches and providing a healing and soothing wash for allergy-prone dogs.
- Being fragrance free, the shampoo is a great option for those dogs with sensitive skin who may be prone to allergic or adverse reactions to fragrances.
- Many reviewers found that fur was left soft, nourished, and deeply moisturised, as well as thoroughly cleaned.
- A negative of the shampoo is the runny, watery texture which can be both wasteful, as it is easy to drop and spill, and difficult to use in an effective way as effective lathering is hard to achieve.
- The shampoo is a popular option with many owners and, as such, can be quite difficult to get hold of at times, meaning that it is not always a reliable purchase.
3. Vetnique Dermabliss Anti Itch and Allergy Relief Medicated Shampoo
Dermabliss contains 1% Pramoxine Hydrochloride, an important ingredient for providing itch relief and helping to calm irritations; this is the highest possible amount allowed for purchase without prescription. A great option for anyone who needs immediate, short-term relief for their dog’s allergies, this medicated shampoo works to numb the dog’s skin to provide instant relief from itching and discomfort.
- This shampoo is notable for its ability to be used on dogs of any age, making it suitable for puppies with sensitive skin and allergies, unlike many other options on the market.
- The ease of using this shampoo is discussed by many reviewers, who enjoy its easy lather and the instantly calming effect it has.
- Compared with the other options on this list, this shampoo costs almost eight dollars more than the next most expensive option. Considering it is used for temporary relief and has to be used regularly, this makes it a considerable investment that can easily build up over time.
- If you are looking for long-term relief for your dog’s allergies, the temporary effect of this shampoo means it may not be the best choice.
4. Cooper and Gracie Dog Shampoo for Itchy Skin
Often recommended by vets for dogs with allergies, this cruelty-free shampoo is aimed specifically at helping to soothe itchiness and heal the skin. Both antifungal and antibacterial, this is a great option for getting to the root of the problem and providing long-term relief for allergies. It works to protect the coat and the skin, using natural ingredients to deeply moisturise and repair areas affected by allergies.
- A natural option brilliant for those who are concerned with using eco-friendly, cruelty-free products only.
- Reviewers noted the long-term benefits of this shampoo for allergies and skin irritations.
- Some reviewers noticed the scent of the shampoo was very strong, with some commenting that the smell was too strong for their sensitive dogs, even causing some dogs to have reactions.
- Others commented on the difficulty of adequately lathering the shampoo, which can cause a large amount of waste and diminishes any value for money.
5. Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo
Formulated with healing Bentonite Clay and moisturising Argon Oil, this natural shampoo is an eco-friendly, effective option for alleviating skin issues and deeply moisturising the skin. Containing no chemicals or preservatives, this shampoo works for dogs with sensitive skin and skin allergies exacerbated by man-made ingredients.
- The shampoo is completely natural, which makes it a great choice for sensitive or easily irritated skin.
- Reviewers noted the shampoo’s economic value; a little amount goes a very long way and achieves great results.
- Unlike other options, this shampoo is easy to lather, meaning waste is reduced.
- The use of Bentonite Clay is noted for its ability to cleanse the skin thoroughly and keep it moisturised, however it can be drying on fur, which some people noticed happened when used on their dog’s coat.
- A few reviewers commented on the strong smell, which they did not appreciate.