Are you currently caring for a dog with handicaps? These special harnesses will help you transport and care for your dog safely and protectively.
Table of Contents
- The Top 5 Handicap Dog Harnesses
- Our Top Pick
- Our Runner Up
- Best for Older Dogs
- Best for Larger Dogs
- Best for Smaller Dogs
The Top 5 Handicap Dog Harnesses
Here are our choices for the top 5 handicap dog harnesses. Each one has been personally tested and vetted for safety, efficiency, and affordability.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Our Top Pick
- FEATURES – No Bunching - Padded for Comfort - Integrated Leash - Cutout for Male Dogs - Adjustable for Height - Easy to Use - Soft Corduroy Lining - Includes Stay on Straps - Chest Harness not Included
- MACHINE WASHABLE AND DRYABLE – The superior quality and durability of the GingerLead is preserved after machine washing and drying. Proudly MADE IN U.S.A.
- USED IN VETERINARY HOSPITALS - GingerLeads are used by veterinarians throughout the United States. Recommended for recovery from TPLO / cruciate, hip or back surgery, physical therapy, to assist senior dogs suffering from arthritis, degenerative myelopathy or vestibular disease, and disabled pets needing help with mobility or balance.
- SIZING - Support pad is 5.5" wide (at the cutout) x 22.5" long. Sling length adjusts from 38" - 60" long. Please measure to ensure the proper fit. The cutout in the support pad accommodates most medium to giant breed male dogs as well as female dogs.
- OUR INSPIRATION – The experiences helping our 6 month old Golden Retriever puppy, Ginger, recover from reconstructive hip surgery for severe hip dysplasia, then knee surgery a few years later, was the inspiration for our patented design. The GingerLead harness was a lifesaver again when Ginger was old and needed help up and down stairs, and out for walks.
Our pick for the top handicap dog harness is the new GingerLead Dog Support & Rehabilitation Harness. This is a handy all-in-one item that will give your dog the support that they require for lifting or transporting.
Things We Like About It
There are several reasons why we picked the GingerLead Dog Support & Rehabilitation Harness is our top model. To begin with, it’s very reasonably priced.
The unit is specially padded for comfort. It also comes with a specially designed cut-out that allows your dog to easily fit into the harness.
Once in place, the harness will give your dog the extra gentle support they need to move easily to the location you need them in. There is no other harness that is quite as sturdy, reliable, comfortable, and long-lasting.
The harness comes in a variety of sizes ranging from extra small to extra large. There are also special harnesses for females only as well as a few unisex sizes.
Our Runner Up
- 1. PROFESSIONAL - Our product designed for old or joint injuries, Arthritis, rheumatism dogs to help them walk, and go up and down stairs, get on and off cars, so that dogs who have lost walking ability can return to normal life.
- 2. HIGH QUALITY - When you get our products, you will feel the excellent quality of our products, made of breathable, soft materials that make your dog more comfortable and can be worn all day.
- 3. DESIGN BY HEART - We took all the details into consideration, use straps to help dogs walk, handle to help dogs go up and down stairs and cars, or use iron rings to attach your dog leash.
- 4. FULL BODY SUPPORT-You don't have to worry about dogs falling down stairs. Our products provide comprehensive protection.
- At present. In L size, XL size, XXL size, a small number of the back of the buckle is defective, before using our dog harness, if it can be easily pulled apart by hand, indicating that the buckle is defective, please contact us immediately, we will immediately give you a replacement, and as a remedy will give you a refund. Thank you for your cooperation.
Our choice for prime runner-up is the new COODEO Dog Lift Harness. This is a specially designed harness that takes into account the need for adjustability to keep your dog completely comfortable during the crucial moving period.
Things We Like About It
Several notable features make this model an ideal runner-up. For one, this harness is specially designed to distribute the weight away from your dog’s injured areas and over their stronger and more healthy regions.
The harness is also ideal for dogs who may be suffering from such conditions as arthritis, joint pain, muscle degeneration, injuries, paralysis, or simply old age. It’s a safe, sturdy model that is designed to give them the full support and comfort that they deserve.
This model includes straps to help your dog walk, special handles to help your dog negotiate stairs or getting in and out of cars, and iron rings to attach to their leash.
Best for Older Dogs
- 1. PROFESSIONAL- Our product is engaged in rejuvenating old or disable dogs by supporting and stabilizing dogs losing balance with joint injuries, Arthritis, rheumatism in the daily life.
- 2. HIGH QUALITY-Breathable and soft material makes your dog comfortable and can be worn for a long period of time.The belt is detachable and the length can be adjusted to suit people of different heights.
- 3. USER-FRIENDLY - Our product is user-friendly in design and takes good care of male dogs' private part without affecting their normal excretion, and assists dog going up and down stairs without slipping out.
- 4. WASHABLE - This product is easy to clean and washable. Please wash by hand with cold water and dry naturally.
- 5. EXCELLENT REPUTATION- We strive for 100% customer satisfaction. If your are not completely satisfied, please contact us as soon as possible. We will try our best to answer your question and solve your problem immediately. We promise a refund without any reason.
Our choice of the best handicap dog harness for older dogs is the COODEO Dog Lift Harness, Pet Support & Rehabilitation Sling. This is an affordable and very handy model to give much-needed support and comfort to your older canine.
Things We Like About It
This is an excellent model to choose if you have a senior dog who suffers from severe mobility issues. It’s designed to help senior dogs who may be suffering from joint or bone pain as well as arthritis and other conditions.
The harness is specially designed to allow your dog’s private area the full access and comfort that it needs. The model has a special built-in cutaway that allows them to do their business with no obstacles that may otherwise cause uncomfortable messes.
COODEO has protected this model with a full warranty of guaranteed quality. If you discover or defects or other difficulties, you can simply return the harness within the specified period of time for a full refund.
Best for Larger Dogs
- FULL BODY SUPPORT: Give your dog the full-body support he needs whether he’s getting older, recovering from surgery or disabled
- SAFELY ASSIST YOUR PET: Support handles allow you to lift your dog easily; use the lifting leash extender to reduce strain on your back when helping your dog
- ADJUSTABLE SIZING: The harness easily adjusts so you can get the best fit for your dog’s needs; make sure to check the size chart to find the best fit for your four-legged friend
- MOBILITY: Full-body harness allows you to help your best friend get in and out of the car, go for a walk or takepotty breaks
- COMFORTABLE: The extra padding supports your dog and reduces lifting strain; for males, a removable protection shield minimizes discomfort when helping him get around
When it comes to dogs with senior, mobility, or joint pain issues, you need to make sure that the harness you buy for them is fully accommodated to their size. The new PetSafe Solvit CareLift Lifting Aid Harness for Dogs is the best new model designed for the needs of larger breeds.
Things We Like About It
This particular model has been specially sized for the needs of larger dogs. It comes in medium, large, and extra-large sizes and is fully adjustable to fit your injured, paralyzed, or senior dog.
The harness has been fitted to distribute the weight equally over the whole of your dog’s body rather than concentrating on any one region. This will allow you to lift or transport your dog over stairs or into a vehicle without reinjuring their sore area.
The harness is also fully adjustable when it comes to the matter of sizing. This will allow you to use the harness even if your dog should gain or lose weight. You can also use the harness on other similarly sized dogs.
Best for Smaller Dogs
Not all senior dogs are large or medium breeds. We also need to make sure that we include a model like a Veterinarian Approved Dog Support Harness from Pet Friendz.
Things We Like About It
This is an excellent new model that has been specially designed to meet the needs of smaller dogs. It’s a harness that is engineered to give support, aid, and comfort to dogs with paralysis or severe hip dysplasia issues.
The model includes a special closing mechanism that fits snugly around your dog’s body. This will give them vital support as you guide them out the door or up a flight of stairs.
If you’re looking for a handy, affordable model that has been specially fitted to meet the specific needs of smaller breeds, this one is well worth checking out.
Does it Matter What Size You Buy?
It definitely does matter what size of handicap dog harness you buy for your dog. If it’s too big or too small, it may fail to provided support in the areas where your dog needs it the most.
Are These Harnesses Easy to Fit Your Dog Into?
All of the harnesses on this list have been vetted to make sure that they provide a comfortable and easy fit.
Are All of These Harnesses Machine Washable?
All of the listed harnesses can be easily cleaned and dried using standard washing machines and driers.