Does your dog have a tendency to jump on people? One method to keep your dog from jumping is to use one of these top five jump-restraint dog harnesses.
The Top 5 Jump Restraint Dog Harnesses
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
2 Hounds Design Freedom No-Pull Dog Harness Training Package, Large, Purple
- The Freedom No-Pull Harness design minimizes or eliminates pulling, neck strain, and the chance of escape. The Freedom Harness is recommended by trainers as the "ultimate in flexibility, control, and training." Vets love the harness because it is designed to walk from the back of the dog keeping their spinal cords in alignment. Adoption groups love it because of its ease of use.
- Comfortable and durable! The Freedom harness has a soft Swiss velvet lining on the strap that goes behind the legs to help prevent rubbing, chaffing and sores that sometimes can be seen with other harness designs. All of the edges of the webbing are turned out to keep them from irritating your dog's skin. This well made harness will stand up to daily use by even the strongest dogs!
- Multi-functional: The harness can be used for discouraging pulling when attached to the front or for exercise when attached to the back. The double ended leash (included) can be attached to both the front and back of the harness or just the front or the back. Test it to see which works best for you and your dog! Industry leading lifetime chewing warranty: The manufacturer will replace up to two chewed straps for free, no questions asked, for just the cost of shipping.
- Reduces pulling! The patented action loop sits at the back of the dog between the shoulders allowing your dog to walk in a straight line without twisting or straining, while discouraging pulling by gently tightening around the chest.
- SIZING: Use a soft tape measure and measure the circumference of your dog's chest by placing the tape measure all the way around the chest (rib cage), behind the front legs. The tape measure should be not pulled too tight, but not loose. XSMALL: 14-20" girth, 12-17 lbs; SMALL: 18-24" girth, 18-25 lbs; MEDIUM 5/8'' WIDTH: 23-28" girth, 25-65 lbs; MEDIUM 1'' WIDTH; 23-28" girth, 25-65 lbs; LARGE: 27-32" girth, 60-85 lbs; XLARGE: 31-37" girth, 85-140 lbs; XXLARGE: 36-44" girth, 140-250 lbs.
Our top pick for a jump-restraint dog harness is the 2 Hounds Design Freedom harness.
Things We Like About It
The reason that this particular harness reaches our top pick is because of its careful design. While it’s effective in keeping a dog from jumping, the harness is also simplified.
You don’t have unnecessary restrictions around their chest or legs. This allows them to move naturally and can prevent injuries.
It also removes the chance of choking that some other harnesses might provide due to its location around the neck area. This harness is a great option for easily controlling your dog’s tendency to jump without harming them.
The comfort of your dog is also considered as the harness includes a velvet strap that runs along the back of their legs to prevent chafing and discomfort. Finally, this harness is multifunctional in that it also prevents pulling.
YUP! Pet Halter, Large, Black
- MATERIAL: Made of highest quality braided cord with nickel plated steel fasteners and strong nylon webbing for reliable strength. With its weatherproof material and durable hardware, it for sure to last for years to come. Machine washable for added convenience.
- INNOVATIVE DESIGN: Just as you pull, restraints under the front leg makes the dog stop immediately. Restraints are covered with sherpa sleeves so that your dog can be comfortable while being in your control. Halter doubles as a collar when pulling function is not needed.
- EASY TO PUT ON: The ultimate combination of style and comfort which your little furry friend would love. Just three simple steps and you are done. Dog collar halter does not choke your pet. Perfect for dogs with collapsed trachea or injured throat - Veterinary recommended.
- NO MORE PULLING: Walk any dog without being pulled down by the street. With its innovative design and patented “Sporn Effect”, you can humanely control the dog while on the go without any intensive training. Safe, comfortable and perfectly functional. Works great for training your dog.
- LIFETIME GUARANTEE: Satisfaction of customers is our primary concern. If you are not satisfied with the performance of our dog training halter, just return with proof of purchase.
Sporn’s Dog Halter makes our runner up position.
Things We Like About It
One of the best aspects of this harness is the price. It’s incredibly affordable and effective for its price.
Another great feature of this harness is that it comes in various sizes that range from small to extra large. No matter what size your dog is, you should be able to find a harness that will fit them well.
Similar to our top pick, the dog halter from Sporn attempts to limit the amount of strapping in the halter. This, in turn, limits the chance of the halter choking the dog when you prevent the dog from jumping up on someone.
Best For Long Walks
Paw Five CORE-1 No-Pull Reflective Dog Harness with Built-in Waste Bag Dispenser Adjustable Padded Control for Medium and Large Dogs, Check Sizing Chart Before Ordering (Small, Leaf Green)
- 【DURABLE & LONGLASTING】- Waterproof outer-shell, authentic safety belts, heavy-duty D-ring and snap buckle guarantees an everlasting product for all walks and adventures. 【Backed by the Paw Five 100% 30 DAY QUALITY GUARANTEE】
- 【COMFORTABLE & ERGONOMIC】- Adjustable chest and waist straps ensures optimal fit and comfort for your dog. Padded handle maximizes user control, grip and comfort during use
- 【USER FRIENDLY & CONVENIENT】- Built-in waste bag dispenser assures waste bags are available when needed. Instantly ready your dog for a walk with a single snap of a buckle. FREE roll of waste bags included
- 【CUSTOMIZABLE & VERSATILE】- Interchangeable side patches allows for personalization. Side D-ring allows for attachment of accessories and pouches
- 【MAXIMIZES VISIBILITY & SAFETY】- Frontal reflective safety strip and stitching ensures maximal nighttime visibility and presence
The Paw Five CORE-1 Reflective harness is a great choice for those owners who love to take their dogs on long walks but need a little added security to keep them from jumping on people they encounter.
Things We Like About It
One of the worries that many dog owners face is a long walk that features a lot of possible encounters with people. If your dog tends to jump on people when you’re out on walks, then you need a sturdy harness that allows you to easily control them no matter what their size.
That’s what this harness from Paw Five offers. It’s a durable and hefty harness that offers a lot of control over your dog when you take it on a walk.
This harness also comes with a bonus waste bag dispenser attached to it. You won’t have to worry about bringing bags with you when you go on a walk.
If you need a durable harness that makes walking easier, then this is a harness you should consider.
Best For Absolute Control Over Jumping
YOGADOG - Heavy Duty Dog Harness, Soft Padded with Special Extended Integrated Short Leash Design, Reflective Stitching, for Medium and Large Dogs (XL)
- LONG LIFE GUARANTEE HARNESS - Fit dogs with 28-38 inch chest. Super durable and wear resistant. 450 lb pulling resistance. Ideal for dogs that are hard pullers.
- SPECIAL ELASTIC HANDLE DESIGN - Padded handle with extended integrated short leash , good for curb pulling instinct. Elastic material for pulling force buffer and reduce injury risk.
- SUPER COMFORT - Comfort padding breast and ventilate backside soft padded, no harm to dog's skin. Easy click buckles and adjustable straps, provide more comfortable.
- SAFE USE - Reflective stitching and weatherproof nylon webbing offer high visibility, protection and safety in any kind of situation.
- QUICK CONTROL - Handle connect with front chest strap, provide the best stress point, more easy to stop pulling. D-Ring for long leash control, No more choke dog's neck. Different leash match use in different activity control like walking, training,outdoor sport, service training and vehicle-mounted.
The YOGADOG Heavy Duty Dog Harness is an excellent choice for owners with bigger dogs who need a lot of handling to keep them from jumping.
Things We Like About It
For larger dogs, you need a harness that is durable enough to help you keep them from jumping on people. That’s what the harness from YOGADOG offers.
It’s wear-resistant which means that your dog won’t wear it through simply wearing or using it. It has a 450 ib pulling resistance, so you can easily manage your dog.
The handle has an elastic material built into it that allows some buffer to occur between the pulling and your arm. Not only can this prevent injury for your dog, but it can also prevent injury for you.
This harness has multiple leash points, so you have absolute control over your dog no matter where you want to attach the leash.
Best For Sensitive Dogs
EEZWALKER Dog Harness, Medium Adjustable No-Pull Gentle Walker for Comfortable Pet Control - Pink Fleece
- NO-PULL PET CONTROL: Safety harness has fleece lining for extra padding to keep your dog safe without pressure on the neck or throat when walking, running, agility training, biking, tracking, or playing.
- ADJUSTABLE GIRTH STRAP: EEZWALKER pet halter contours to your dog's body shape, and has an adjustable chest strap to allow for snug and secure fit using 2 side-release buckles.
- STURDY D-RING: Attach leash to the metal D-ring located at the top of the dog harness, which gives the dog better balance because the center of gravity is over the dog's shoulders.
- LONG-LASTING DURABILITY: Adjustable dog harness is made with a top layer of stable webbing for additional strength and dependability for you and your pet.
- PERFECT FIT: Pink dog harness is a size medium for dog breeds with a girth (chest size) of 22" to 27". Other sizes and colors available.
If your dog has sensitive skin or is easily panicked or made uncomfortable, then the EEZWALKER Dog Harness could be great for curbing their tendency to jump.
Thinks We Like About It
Some dogs require a bit of firm handling, but they might also be sensitive to tough straps that cut into their skin. Or they may chafe easily against certain kinds of straps.
The harness from EEZWALKER can eliminate a lot of these problems. It’s a padded harness throughout.
The entire interior of the harness is made from fleece. Your dog will be thoroughly comfortable while wearing it on their walks or when with people.
Yet it’s also durable and comes with a tough D-ring at the top of the harness to give you easy control over the dog and prevent jumping. It also comes in various sizes beginning from small and reaching to triple extra large dogs.
What is a jump harness?
A jump harness is extremely similar to a no-pull harness. It typically provides control over the top of the harness, so you can limit the space that the dog has when moving upwards.
They also sometimes come with straps on the bottom that can link their front legs and hind legs together to keep them from jumping upwards.
How do I make my dog stop jumping?
A lot of training is involved. It’s best to start when the dog is still a puppy.
When the puppy jumps on you, simply turn around and command ‘off’ in a clear and short sound. Continue to turn away from the puppy until it stops jumping on you.
Then you can reward the puppy with praise and a treat. Continue to do this each time the puppy jumps on you.
How do you put on a dog harness?
While each one is different, there are some similarities within their design. You typically have to step your dog into the leg straps at first.
Then you can pull the rest of the harness over their back and against their chest. There should be clips that snap into place at the sides or at the top of the harness.
Simply attach the leash after that.