Traditional dog doors are a thing of the past. Not only will they allow wild animals inside, but they’ll also let dirt and pollutants in cases of violent sandstorms.
Plus, smart technologies are already essential parts of our daily life. It’d be a shame if your dog can’t get their slice of the cake!
That’s why I wrote this article. I’ll review 5 of the best large breed electronic dog doors on the market. Let’s see!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
The 3 Best Large Breed Electronic Dog Doors
How does each door perform? What’s the power source? Are there any issues with safety? That’s what I’ll answer in each of the following reviews.
High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door – Top Pick
As their name implies, High Tech Pet makes the most advanced dog doors on the market.
First things first, this door communicates with your dog’s collar via ultrasonic waves. Unlike the RF waves featured in other products, this technology is highly directional. In other words, the door will only open if your dog stood right in front of it. It won’t be triggered if the dog was just playing around.
The opening panel is also special. Over the top part of the door, there’s a motor that fully retracts the panel. I absolutely prefer this over the flipping panels since the latter can feel annoying for some dogs.
In the large model, the retractable panel measures 12.25” by 16”. This should make it suitable for dogs weighing up to 100 lbs.
Because that door is equipped with a meat deadbolt, nobody can lift it up manually when it’s locked.
To run this door, you can plug it directly into the wall adaptor. If you don’t want to hassle with wires, you can use either of the attached batteries. Needless to say, you’ll also receive their dedicated charger.
- Motor driven vertically-sliding door is activated by MS-4 ultrasonic collar
- Directional sensing system opens the door only when your pet is on a direct approach, not when he is just wandering by or sleeping next to the door
- 4-way access control lets you select from In Only, Out Only, Full Access or Closed & Locked
- Wind and weatherproof with airtight seal; automatic deadbolt locking adds a level of security higher than any other pet door
- Panel size: 12-1/4 by 16-inch for pets up to 100-pound, Kindly refer user manual and instruction video for reference.
- Accurate, directional activation
- Can run on batteries or AC power
- Convenient retractable panel
- A bit expensive
Plexidor Large Wall Mount PDE Electronic Pet Door – The Sturdiest
If you want to invest in something to last for a lifetime, look no further. Plexidor fabricates this door with robust aluminum frames. And thanks to the baked-on powder coating, your dogs won’t be able to scratch it every time they pass.
Just like High Tech Pet, Plexidor decided to opt for a convenient retractable panel. However, they make it slightly bigger. With measurements of 12.5″ by 19.5″ it can be suitable for dogs weighing up to 125 lbs.
As for technology, this door works via the regular RFID system. But they designed their sensor in a way that limits unintentional activation to a great extent.
You’ll receive 2 pet modules that can be easily clipped on your dog’s collars. Inside the instruction manual, you’ll find illustrations that would show you the way around the door programming.
I like that you can adjust how long the door opens for each RFID module. This way, you can make it generously long for your timid dog who’s having a hard time trusting this machine.
- Accommodates dogs up to 125 pounds and all cats. Hardened ABS panel slides up and down like a mini electronic garage door. Waterproof collar key weighs less than an ounce, does not require batteries and snaps on your dog's collar.
- Child and dog child safe, will not close if obstructed. Door is always securely locked with a ¼ inch stainless steel deadbolt when inactive.
- Comes with two PDE collar keys. Easy to add or change thousands of codes with one touch programming. Set timing for how long door is open. Will not interfere with underground fences or home security systems.
- Installs into stud, brick, block or cement walls up to 12 inches thick. Available in white or bronze. Hardened aluminum frames have a baked on powder coated finish. Durable and scratch resistant just like the appliances in your home.
- Manufactured in the U.S.A. and comes with a five year limited residential warranty.
- Sturdy construction
- Accurate RFID system
- Programmable durations
- Extremely expensive
- The motor is noisy
PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor – Budget Pick
Interested in saving some bucks? If so, you should try this door from PetSafe.
Unlike the other doors featured on this roundup, this one works on 4D batteries. This can’t be considered a flaw on its own, but it’s certainly not that convenient. Since there’s no indicator for the remaining power, your dogs might be locked outside without you noticing.
Although this door comes with 2 pet modules, you can program it to identify 3 additional ones. This is such a cool perk at this price point.
Installation is where this door truly excels. Thanks to the lightweight construction, you can install it to sliding glass doors without the need for cutting anything. And of course, it’s still sturdy enough for normal installation into walls and front doors.
You might disagree, but I hate the design of this door’s panel. After it detects your pet’s module, the glass window unlocks, but it doesn’t retract on its own. Instead, your dog will have to push it with his head.
Worst of all, some users complained from constant “faults”. All of a sudden, the door might refuse to open for your dog.
- CUSTOMIZE YOUR PET’S ACCESS: The SmartDoor features programmable selective entry, exit and auto-locking options
- PEACE OF MIND: The SmartDoor works with the waterproof SmartKey worn on your pet's collar; only the pets wearing the SmartKey can go in and out
- MULTIPLE PETS: Great for households with multiple pets; programmable for up to 5 SmartKeys
- BATTERY OPERATED: The SmartDoor is battery operated (4 D-Cell Batteries, not included)
- DOOR INSTALLATION: Designed for installation in interior/exterior doors; wall installation option available with purchase of Wall Install Kit
- Highly affordable
- Installation freedom
- Up to 5 programmable pet modules
- Poorly designed panel
- The motor might get stuck
What to Consider Before Getting an Electronic Dog Door
If you liked one of my recommended products, congrats! But don’t go shopping just yet. There are some factors you need to bear in mind beforehand.
Pick the Right Size
Surely, you must pick a door with enough size to comfortably fit your dog. For that matter, you can select based on your dog’s weight. However, this might not always be dependable.
Therefore, I always recommend measuring your actual dog height, from his shoulders to the ground. The head is often ignored to avoid making the door excessively large. After all, dogs might appreciate that slight ducking they have to regularly do.
In the following table, I’ve gathered the suitable door sizes based on both the weight and height. If possible, double-check the manufacturer’s recommendations before purchasing to be 100% certain.
|Pet Weight||Example Breeds||Door Size|
|Small – 9 lbs||Chihuahuas, Yorkies, Pomeranians,||6 1/2″ x 7 1/4″|
|Medium – 40 lbs||Beagles, Cocker Spaniels, Poodles||9″ x 12″|
|Large – 100 lbs||Labs, Bulldogs, Boxers, Collies Rottweilers||11 3/4″ x 16″|
|Extra Large – 220 lbs||Great Danes, Mastiffs, St Bernards||15 1/4″ x 23 5/8″|
Search for an Energy-Efficient Design
If your dog door was improperly designed, it won’t effectively insulate your home. As a result, you’ll end up paying extra bucks for your air conditioning or heating systems.
After my elaborate search, I can say that High Tech Pet makes the best large breed electronic dog door. Its ultrasonic activation system should allow for the best directional experience.
If you don’t mind investing in a high-end product, you should go for Plexidor Large Wall Mount PDE Electronic Pet Door. Its sturdy construction should live for years with little to no weathering.