Is your dog overweight and needs some help shedding the extra pounds? Or perhaps you’re looking for a way to keep your puppy active indoors when taking a walk isn’t an option? In any case, the best non-motorized dog treadmill can be exactly what you need.
Today, we’re reviewing the best treadwheels available on the market, along with a few motorized treadmills to give you more options. We’re also including a detailed buying guide to help you pick the right treadmill for your dog.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Top 2 Non-Motorized Dog Treadmills for Sale and Top 2 To DIY
- DIY Dog Treadmills (Non-Motorized)
- Top 3 Motorized Dog Treadmills
- How to Choose the Best Treadmill for Your Dog?
- Wrap Up
Top 2 Non-Motorized Dog Treadmills for Sale and Top 2 To DIY
Best for Small Dogs – GOPET Treadwheel for Small Dogs
Kicking off our list with a pleasant surprise, the GOPET Treadwheel ToySmall proves that treadwheels aren’t just for hamsters; they can be quite effective and fun for dogs as well.
This particular model from GOPET has a sturdy construction and a 40″ D × 12″ W running area designed to accommodate small pups up to 25 pounds heavy.
It has a cushioned, durable matted surface to keep your dog’s paws as comfortable as possible, while the integrated UV resistance allows for safe use under the sun.
- For Dogs up to 25 pounds. Running Area: 40 D X12 W. Easy to clean. GoPet TreadWheels give your dogthe equipment he needs to exercise. The free standing GoPet TreadWheelprovides an unlimited running area allowing your dog to walk or run for miles - even if you are not home.
- Training Door Included. Running Mat for added comfort. Many dogs will use the treadwheel to relieveboredom and get some exercisewhile their owners are gone. Be sure to check our our Video - If you feel a Treadmill would be a better option please go back to the Dog Treadmills page. A great way to exercise overweight dogs. Allows for outdoor use.
- off-leash exercise so your dog can run at his ownnatural pace.
- Can be used anytime - even if your dog is home alone. Secure and Stable.
- Provides a physical outlet for high energy dogs.
- Premium construction
- Cushioned matted surface
- UV protection
- Not for dogs heavier than 25 pounds
Best for Large Dogs – GOPET Treadwheel for Large Dogs
Next up is another reliable non-motorized treadmill for dogs from GOPET, but this time, it can handle large dogs weighing up to 150 pounds. You can even control the tension for adjustable resistance.
It features a running area of dimensions 60″ D × 20″ W, which offers a comfortable space for pups with large gaits. Additionally, the running surface is fitted with a durable matted surface to protect your dog’s paws from injuries. This treadmill is UV resistant so your dog can safely use it outdoors, and it’s also easy to clean with mildew resistance to make the task easier.
- Suitable for large dogs
- Durable and UV resistant
- Offers tension control
DIY Dog Treadmills (Non-Motorized)
Beyond the two options above there aren’t a lot of non-motorized dog treadmills for sale. Instead, we recommend you build your own using these instructional videos.
DIY Carpet Treadmill (Non-Motorized)
Carpet DIY Dog Treadmill With Walls (Non-Motorized)
Top 3 Motorized Dog Treadmills
Not a fan of the few non-motorized options you can buy? Don’t want to DIY it yourself? Quickly, here are our top 3 picks for simple motor treadmills and why we think you’ll like them too.
Motorized Best for Large Dogs – dogPACER LF 3.1 Dog Pacer Treadmill
The dogPACER LF 3.1 Dog Pacer Treadmill is one of the best-motorized alternatives when it comes to dog treadmills. It’s built to handle dogs up to 180 pounds heavy, which makes it suitable for most dog sizes out there.
This treadmill features a patented lightweight folding design, enabling you to easily fold and unfold the machine for convenient portability. It also houses a quiet motor and offers a range of customized running programs so you can pick the proper workout level for your dog’s weight and age.
- SPECIFICATIONS - Dimensions folded: L-42.28" W-22" H-8.5" | Dimensions open: L-76.77" W-27.16" H-46.18" | Treadmill Height: 46 In | Overhead Bar Height: 36.5 In | Running area: 71" X 16.5" | Computer to ground height: 18.1" | Product Weight : 84.4 Lbs
- HEALTHY WEIGHT – A consistent regiment of exercise and diet will lead to a healthier, happier and longer life for your dog.
- TIME – Because of busy and hectic schedules, we often find it a challenge to walk our dogs after a long day spent in the office.
- SAFETY – No worries about walking your dog at dawn or late at night or on a busy street. Exercising your dog indoor eliminates these issues.
- IT FOLDS! - Our patented folding technology makes this the worlds only folding treadmill for dogs!
- Great value for money
- Suits nearly all dogs
- Adjusting the inclination is a bit tricky
Best Quiet Motorized Treadmill – DogTread Premium Dog Treadmill
Perfect for petite dogs in limited spaces, this treadmill from DogTread comes with a sleek design that’s free of small gaps to make sure that your small pet won’t get their small paws trapped by accident.
This treadmill features a very quiet motor and a running area of dimensions 44″ D × 21″, accommodating dogs up to 30 pounds heavy. It’s equipped with an LCD console where you can set the speed, distance, and time for each session.
Moreover, there’s a recessed treat holder that conveniently dispenses treats for your dog at specific intervals during the workout.
- LCD Console – Program Speed, Distance and Time for each workout. Red Safety Start and Stop is easy to identify. Included remote control provides additional training versatility.
- Recessed Treat Holder – Provides a convenient way to dispense and hold treats during the initial stages of training. NOT FOR WATER, TREATS ONLY.
- Sturdy, Attractive Dog-Friendly Design – The DogTread is equipped with a whisper-quiet motor and is free of any holes, meshes or seams where a dog might get small paws caught.
- Natural Running Platform & Manual Incline Options – Low training fence provides a more comfortable and positive experience while the Flip-bar Incline increases training intensity as needed to simulate outdoor terrain.
- Space-saving Portable Design – Securely rests on its nose for convenient storage. Transportation wheels makes it easy move the DogTread to any location.
- No gaps or seams
- LCD console
- Features a treat dispenser
- Tricky to assemble
Best Motorized for Small Dogs – dogPACER Mini Pacer Treadmill
Last but not least, the dogPACER Mini Pacer Treadmill is a great option for those just starting their dog fitness journey. It’s built out of high-quality, strong carbon steel, recommended for dogs weighing up to 55 pounds.
This treadmill has an adjustable speed ranging from 0.5 mph up to 7.5 mph, and it even includes multiple preset dog fitness and exercise programs to optimize the physical health of your pet.
Additionally, it’s easy to assemble, store, and clean, with a foldable design for extra convenience.
- ADJUSTABLE:The treadmill speed can be set from .5 MPH up to 7.5 MPH in .1 MPH increments.
- MOST AFFORDABLE:The dogPACER treadmill line is the lowest priced, highest value dog treadmill available on the market, because pet exercise equipment can be both reliable and economical.
- COMPUTER FITNESS PROGRAMS:The included pet treadmill computer comes with multiple pre-set dog fitness and exercise programs to optimize dog health and happiness for your 4 legged pal.
- SMALL-MEDIUM: This dogPACER Minipacer doggie home exercise equipment treadmill has a running area of 38"L x 16"W.
- Easy to set up
- Convenient storage
- Speed range from 0.5 mph to 7.5 mph
- A bit pricey for its size category
How to Choose the Best Treadmill for Your Dog?
When shopping for the best non-motorized dog treadmill, you should keep in mind the following points so you can make the most out of your purchase.
Dog Size and Weight
First of all, you need to recognize the size and weight of your dog so you can pick a model that accommodates its unique figure.
For example, if you have a larger dog, the chosen treadmill should be able to handle heavier weights to ensure an effective workout. Otherwise, the machine will probably malfunction, stop working, or even cause an injury.
Similarly, a treadmill designed for larger dogs won’t be suitable for smaller dogs who may be overwhelmed by the more demanding design.
The running surface should be wide enough to allow for comfortable strides. It should also be durable, matted, and preferably cushioned to avoid foot injuries.
Additionally, you should consider the portability of the treadmill. Look for a lightweight construction to make it easier for you to carry and move the treadmill from indoors to outdoors and the other way around.
Another feature that’s worth including is easy storage. You want to be able to put away the treadmill when not in use without it taking up too much space. For this reason, you should keep an eye out for foldable designs while shopping.
Last but not least, it’s a good idea to check whether or not your dog’s treadmill is suitable for outdoor use. In this case, the treadmill should feature some sort of UV resistance to ensure safety under sunlight.
Choosing the best non-motorized dog treadmill can be a challenge, especially with limited options on the market and many more alternatives being motorized for convenience.
That being said, we recommend the GOPET Treadwheel Indoor/Outdoor if you have multiple large dogs and won’t mind investing some serious cash into their exercise equipment.
However, if your dog is on the smaller side, then the GOPET Treadwheel ToySmall would be a perfect fit.