Every dog owner knows the struggle. It’s already hard enough to leave your furry baby to go to work. How are you supposed to relax on a trip and leave your pets alone and miserable!
Then again, flying with a pet isn’t always that easy. For starters, you have to purchase a suitable carrier in which your dog will be comfortable during the whole flight.
The good news is, I can help you with that, saving your effort for the big day. In this article, I’ll review what I consider as the best dog carriers for airplanes. We’ll also discuss how to choose the right one. Let’s go!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
The Best Dog Carriers for Airplanes
What features does every carrier have? How comfortable is it? And what weaknesses you might find? These are some of the questions we’ll discuss for every product.
Prodigen Airline-Approved Pet Carrier – Best Overall
- AIRLINE APPROVED PET CARRIER- ACCEPTED as a SOUTHWEST Airlines Pet Carrier, JETBLUE Pet Carrier, DELTA Pet Carrier Plus VIRGIN, ALASKA, FRONTIER, ALLEGIANT, UNITED & MORE. Carrier measures 17.2"L x 10"W x 11"H. DESIGNED with a Ventilated Top to meet all airline regulations of under forward seat.
- ULTRA-SAFE, EXTRA DURABLE- UPGRADED to REINFORCED Polyester & CLAW-DEFENSE MESH on top & 4 sides ensures your pet has ample VENTILATION and AIRFLOW & it WON’T TEAR like flimsy, cheap carriers while MINI ZIPPER BUCKLES ensure your pet stays tucked safely inside.
- EASY ACCESS & VENTILATED: Mesh windows on top and all 4 sides provide optimal airflow. Some have zippers to quickly reach your pet to comfort, touch, or take in or out.
- STRONG & WATERPROOF - Weighing in at only 2.3 lbs, Designed with Breathable Mesh on all Sides for Proper Ventilation * Removable Fleece Travel Bed * Padded Shoulder Strap * Storage Compartment for Treats or Meds, Seatbelt Compatible.
- PLEASE NOTE INTERIOR SIZING & PET MEASURING GUIDELINES BEFORE PURCHASE - Fits Pets up to 14"Lx10"H and up to 14lbs. PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that we show the exterior dimensions as well as approximate interior dimensions to best portray the usable interior space for your pet. The interior space will be less than exterior due to the fabric thickness and plush faux fleece padding.
This carrier from Prodigen has pretty much everything that your dog needs to have a seamless flight.
First things first, this carrier has a sturdy nylon construction that supports dogs weighing up to 14 pounds. Prodigen recommends using it for dogs up to 10″ height and 14” in length. Bigger dogs can feel a bit strangled.
The nylon fabric is designed to be somewhat waterproof so that it’ll be easier to clean any mess that your dog might leave.
The thing I like the most is the zippered mesh walls found on the top and the 4 sides. This will give your dog an optimal airflow and will also allow for easy petting from any direction.
Inside, your dog will comfortably rest on a fleece bed that covers the whole length of the carrier. It’s also machine-washable for your convenience.
Holding this carrier is also pleasant thanks to the padded, adjustable shoulder strap. If you don’t prefer them, you can use the similarly-comfortable handles.
The only tradeoff is the possible presence of a pretty strong chemical smell on first use. However, this should vanish with proper ventilation.
- Supports 14-pound dogs
- Zippered mesh windows all-around
- Comes with a comfy fleece bed
- Equipped with shoulder strap and padded handles.
- The chemical smell on first use.
Sherpa Travel Deluxe Airline Pet Carrier – Best for Large Dogs
- Perfect for traveling in style and comfort by plane or car, for an adventure or just a trip to the vet
- Patented spring wire frame allows the rear end of the carrier to be pushed down several inches to conform to under-seat requirements. Machine washable faux lambskin liner
- Mesh windows for ventilation, top and side entry with locking zippers for safety, padded adjustable, no-slip carrying strap, seat belt/luggage strap, machine-washable faux lambskin liner
- Rear pocket for convenient storage of treats, leash, bags, or anything else your furry friend might need on the go
- Approved for use on most airlines and included in Sherpa’s Guaranteed on Board program.Carrier is intended for safe and comfortable travel; the pet will not have excess room to move around
Most airlines don’t allow dogs bigger than 20 pounds on their aircraft. Some dogs lie within this weight limit, yet they’re too tall or long to fit inside most carriers. If this sounds familiar, this carrier from Sherpa would be your best pet.
The carrier measures 19” in length, 12” in width, and 11.5” in height. From outside, this carrier features a sturdy nylon construction. Mesh is placed on the front and both sides, leaving the rear solid with a pocket to place anything that your dog needs.
On the inside, your dog won’t feel the length of the flight, thanks to the faux lambskin liner. It’s also machine-washable, allowing you to use it between timely-cramped flights.
To hold this carrier, you have 2 options, the padded hand strap or the non-slip shoulder strap. I wish the shoulder strap was padded, though. It can get quite tiring to carry this large size with this tough strap pinching on your shoulder.
Aside from that, the carrier functions perfectly. Many customers have praised how durable the zippers are, which is a relief to know!
- Comfy faux lambskin liner
- Mesh sides
- Rear pocket
- Sturdy nylon construction
- Durable zippers
- Non-padded shoulder strap
Sherpa On-Wheels Pet Carrier – Best Rolling Carrier
- Pet carrier with recessed wheels for easy-glide motion
- Adjustable shoulder strap converts to a padded pull handle
- Four mesh panels for ventilation, roll down privacy flaps, top and side entry with locking zippers, machine washable faux lambswool liner and Pet on Board flag for better visibility
- Guaranteed-On-Board Program and approved for use on many major airlines
- For pets 19” in length x 9.5” in height and up to 22 pounds
Why carry your dog on the shoulder when you can joyfully drag him around! If you prefer such a style, consider this carrier from Sherpa.
Most of the luggage-styled rolling carriers found on the market have a major problem; they tip when you pull them, which may hurt your dog or at least make him uncomfortable.
This carrier avoids this problem by installing wheels to the regular duffle-style carrier. This will keep your pet on a flat, level surface at all times. Additionally, it features free 360-degree front wheels for steering and recessed back wheels for stability.
Here’s my favorite thing about this carrier. Instead of using a retractable handle that can get stuck, you’ll easily relocate the shoulder strap to be a pull handle.
With 20” in length,12” in width, and 10” in height, this carrier has one of the biggest measurements available in the market.
The inside is padded with a machine-washable faux lambswool that’ll be highly soft on your dog’s skin.
Like all of Sherpa’s products, this carrier comes with a 1-year limited warranty. You can also request a refund if you aren’t satisfied with what the carrier has to offer.
It’s worth noting that some airlines, like United, don’t allow carriers longer than 18”. So make sure to carefully check the regulations before buying.
- Keeps your dog level
- Lined with faux lambswool
- Wide size
- 1-year warranty
- Not allowed on some airlines.
Gen7Pets Compact Roller Pet Carrier – Most Versatile
- Take your pet out for a nice walk
- Age Range Description: All Life Stages
- Included Components: Roller Carrier
All-in-one carriers are my personal favorite. They’re super helpful in a lot of scenarios, allowing you to seamlessly carry your lovely pet everywhere.
Take this carrier for example. Gen7Pets has designed this carrier to convert between a rolling carrier, backpack, car seat, and a regular duffle bag.
As you’re rolling your pet around, this carrier will tilt rather than tip, which makes it incredibly unique between other carriers. This is possible through the Smart-Level Platform, a small collapsable extension on the rear end.
Don’t let this intimidate you, though. It’s incredibly easy to use and flip between the modes. If, for example, you have to climb stairs, you can simply collapse the handle, secure the smart-level platform, untuck the rear straps, and voilà! Your carrier is now a backpack.
Moreover, the carrier features two seatbelt straps on its back for your car travels.
Your pet can be placed inside via the top and front doors. There are double mesh windows on both sides for breathability. You’ll also find two large pockets on the sides to store your pet stuff.
The only problem lies in its weight. The empty carrier weighs around 7 pounds, so that leaves about 13-15 pounds for your dog, according to your airline regulations.
- 4-in-1 carrier
- Easy to use
- Doesn’t tip while rolling
- It weighs 7 pounds
Mr. Peanut’s Pet Carrier – The Best Backpack Carrier
- Premium Brand Auto Self Locking Zippers for Safety and Eliminating the need for fragile clasps as the tote cannot be pushed open by your pet from the inside
- Airline Capable 17" Length X 11" Width X 11" Height, Best Fit For Pets Approximately 16" In Length While Laying Down
- Recommended For Pets Up To 15lbs Weighs Only 2.9lbs Open Air Large Mesh Windows On Top And Sides Top And Front Loading Zippered Pocket For Storing Treats, Meds, Papers Padded Pocket For Bag Dispensing
- Padded Shoulder Straps With Thick Metal Connectors For Additional Safety Wipe Down Composite Nylon Soft-Sided Pet Carrier Leash Tether
If carrying your fluffy dog in your backpack isn’t the cutest thing you’ve ever seen, then I don’t know what is!
Instead of the regular shoulder strap, this carrier from Mr. Peanut completely depends on the back straps for support.
This carrier is designed with mesh on the top, front, and one side. The other side is reserved for a large zippered pocket in which you can keep your dog’s belongings. And just like any regular backpack, you can conveniently place your water bottle in a dedicated pocket.
The top mesh is provided with a roll-up velcro cover to protect your dog from sun or rain. This feature is absolutely simple, yet it can’t be found in the majority of carriers.
The inside of the carrier is padded with fleece on three surfaces: the bottom, the back, and the side. This way, your dog will be comfortable whether the carrier is upright on your back or flat under the airplane seat.
The best thing about this carrier is its weight. It weighs around 3 pounds only! You’ll highly appreciate this after you carry it around effortlessly for a whole day.
On the downside, some customers reported poorly sewed back straps that ripped after a month. Furthermore, since it’s a backpack, it’s pretty smaller than other carriers. It measures 17” in height and 11” for width and length.
- Conveniently carried
- Roll-up cover for the top mesh
- Equipped with a bottle pocket
- Lined with fleece.
- Poor sewing
- Pretty small
Coopeter Luxury Soft-Sided Pet Carrier – The Best Expandable Carrier
- ★ULTRA SAFE AND DURABLE : Made with high quality fabric, CLAW-DEFENSE MESH for ventilation, sturdy handles and adjustable shoulder strap. Two sides are lined with a metal wire frame to keep upright, sturdy, and safe for your pet. All these are just for your lovely pet can sleep, play or rest in her new soft sided pet carriers.
- ★AIRLINE APPROVED : Perfect for traveling in style and comfort by plane, car, for an adventure or just a trip to the vet. Our Folding Pets Totes Carriers Bags are certified compliant with all airline carry-on luggage regulations for your air travel convenience, fitting under any airplane seat. It's a great cat carrier that's perfect for small dogs, too!
- ★PERFECT DESIGN : It can be used as a shoulder bag or handbag and can be mounted on a vehicle or hung on a towbar of a suitcase. Also can be folded, saves space and easy to store. A removable and washable fleece bed cover with an insertable hard support board keeps the carrier in good shape and makes your pet feel more comfortable. A built-in leash allows your pet to be secured to the carrier.
- ★EXPANDABLE：Coopeter carrier, with it's two side expansion, creates a comfortable area for your pet to move around with increased air circulation. At home, it transforms into a mini pet condo. Ventilated top and expanding sides also keep your pet from feeling trapped or enclosed!
- ★NO RISK PURCHASE: Coopeter is a quality company that focuses on the customer experience. Offering one of the absolute best travel pet carrier totes on the market. Buy with utmost confidence. If for any reason you aren’t happy, simply contact us and we will refund the product for you. 100 percent without risk. Zero hassles, zero waits. Add to Cart now and join thousands of satisfied pet owners worldwide.
Don’t you love it when an airline offers lie-flat seats? They add a whole new level of comfort to the flight. Well, this carrier from Coopeter lets your pet enjoy a similar experience.
When you’re seated on the plane, you can unzip the pockets on both sides of the carrier. Then, simply drag the mesh to pop-out the extensions. I really like how these extensions are lined with mesh all-around. This gives an ultimate breathable, engaging experience for your dog.
To make things even comfier, the carrier is lined with a soft fleece. There’s an additional firm board shipped with the carrier in case you want to enhance its support.
On the downside, when the carrier is collapsed, your dog will only have front and top meshes to peek from. Coopeter couldn’t place mesh on the sides because of the zippered extension. However, they could’ve compensated this with a rear mesh.
If you find this annoying for your dog, you can contact Coopeter and request a full refund, no strings attached.
For convenience, one of the carrier’s sides features a belt that can be fixed to the suitcase handle. Furthermore, you can carry it around via the padded handles or the shoulder straps.
- Full-sized mesh extensions
- Fleece-lined with an optional firm board
- Can be fixed to the suitcase handle
- Full refunds
- Only two mesh walls when folded
AmazonBasics Soft-Sided Pet Travel Carrier – The Most Affordable
- Before purchasing please measure your pet - LENGTH: neck to base of tail; HEIGHT: floor to top of shoulder
- Large soft-sided carrier measures approximately 19.7x10.2x11.2 inches (LxWxH)
- Carrying handles and adjustable shoulder strap
- Conforms to under-seat dimensions of most airlines
- Removable fleece pad is machine washable for easy cleaning. Wash separately in cool water with mild detergent; do not use bleach; do not tumble dry; line dry; do not dry clean or iron; dry completely before use; reshape if needed
If you want a sole carrier with no additional features, this product from AmazonBasics might be the best option for you.
I can’t say how much I like the mesh it features on all of its sides. This will make your pet well-ventilated and actively engaged with the surroundings.
Furthermore, as the mesh is considerably lighter than nylon, this design decreases the carrier weight to 3 pounds only. This means you’d be able to carry pets as big as 18 pounds!
You’re probably thinking that the mesh sides won’t be that durable, but this isn’t the case here. The carrier is encircled with two connecting loop handles that support the mesh and provide balanced carrying at the same time.
Best of all, these loops are sewed to the carrier from the top and bottom, so they’re free over the mesh area. This way, they can double function as seatbelt/luggage straps.
After you place your pet inside, he’ll be pampered with the super-soft fleece lining there. Underneath this pad, you’ll find a firm insert that enhances the stability of the carrier.
The only thing I don’t really like is its width. The largest size of this carrier measures 20” in length, 10” in width, and 11” in height. I wish the width was around 12”-14” to accommodate bigger dogs without squeezing them.
- Mesh on the 4 sides
- Encircling loop handles
- Slightly smaller than other carriers
What to Consider Before Buying an Airline Dog Carrier
I’ve reviewed 7 carriers in the previous section. They’re all great, but you certainly have to pick one. If you can’t decide, here are some points that can help you.
As you might already know, in-cabin pet policies differ between airlines. Some allow it with elaborate limitations, others leave it a bit freer.
Similarly, airlines can be pretty specific about carrier dimensions. Southwest, for example, allows carriers that are 18.5” long, 8.5” high, and 13.5” wide.
For safety purposes, your dog might need to pass a certain age to be accepted on aircraft. The required age usually lies between 8 and 12 weeks.
All airlines charge an additional fee for your in-cabin pet. Price may range around $50 for regional flights and $150 for international ones.
It’s also important to note that some breeds aren’t allowed on airplanes. The most notable example is, understandably, the Pitbulls.
Last but not least, regulations are subject to change by political, economical, or health issues. So make sure to review them again before booking your ticket.
The Required Features
You wouldn’t want to keep your pet stressed in uninhabitable conditions for 3-hour flights, right? So, what features will your dog be grateful to have? Let’s see.
Nearly all dog carriers feature at least 1 mesh window. It’s obviously important for proper airflow, but this isn’t the only benefit.
Mesh windows are extremely crucial to keep your dog busy. That’s why I prefer carriers with all-around mesh windows.
Think about it, would your dog rather stare on one view or have his senses flooded from everywhere?
If your dog gets over-excited or prefers to stay in a den for long times, then at least make sure there’s an upward mesh window. Since you won’t always be able to lift up the carrier while flying, this window would be the only way to check on your dog.
In case you don’t already know, dogs can feel claustrophobic. They’ll wine, pant, or even shake when they’re stressed in tight spaces.
If this happens to your dog, consider buying a carrier with expandable areas. This usually comes in two designs.
The first one is a zippered fold that extends for an additional 2”-3” only. The one I prefer the most is the fully-expandable design that extends 7”-10” per side. Although it’s better for your dog, some airlines don’t allow such a design.
Nevertheless, I wouldn’t recommend flying with a claustrophobic dog unless in cases of extreme need. Even if you’re allowed to bring fully-extendable carriers, you never know how bad your dog would react. Better safe than sorry!
You can find a wide variety of carrier styles on the market. Choosing one mainly depends on your taste, but it can also affect your pet.
This is the most common type. It places your pet in a comfortable and stable manner. It may not be that comfortable for you, though. This is because you have to carry it on either your shoulder or your hands.
Therefore, if you opt for this style, invest in a carrier with well-padded handles and shoulder strap. Your body would be so grateful at the end of the day.
As the name implies, this style is carried just like a backpack. It’s obviously a lot easier for you than a duffel bag, but it can be bad news for your furry friend!
In duffel bags, your dogs would have a wide rectangular area to sit and extend his body. In a backpack, chances are your dog would have to stay upright as long as you’re carrying the bag.
While there’s pretty much nothing to do about this, you can at least choose a carrier with all-around padding. This way, when you’re seated on the plane, you can comfort your dog by placing the carrier in a similar way to a duffel bag.
Unlike duffel bags and backpacks, luggage-styled carriers are the truly comfortable option for your poor shoulders. Then again, your dog might disagree.
The problem with this style lies in how the carrier behaves while you pull it. If you buy a regular one, it will tend to tip over, making your pet rest on the corner of the carrier rather than a solid, level surface.
The only carrier I found to avoid this problem is the Gen7Pets Compact Roller Pet Carrier. It has some kind of belt-secured extension toward the base. When you want to roll the bag, opening these extensions would compensate for the tipping that happens as you pull.
Unless you find something with a similar concept, I would advise against this style.
The Duffel with Wheels
This is my personal favorite. It cleverly brings the best of both worlds. This carrier type would give level support for your dog and allow you to effortlessly drag it around. Sherpa’s On-Wheels is one of the carriers designed like this.
Obviously, you can’t place your dog in a carrier that would collapse over him like a blanket! Luckily, nearly all carriers can stand on their own. However, some are better than others.
The perfect carrier should “pop” as it expands. The pop means that your dog carrier won’t collapse easily with the slightest bit of weight, which keeps your pet safe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does a dog carrier count as a carry on?
It depends. Some airlines count a dog carrier as part of the carry-on luggage allowance. Others charge an additional fee. Therefore, it’s better to check the specific regulations of the airline you choose beforehand.
Do airports sell pet carriers?
Yes, you can find pet carriers inside an airport. However, they’re sold by airlines rather than the airports itself. It’s important to know that not all airlines manufacture pet carriers, let alone sell them.
Southwest produces its own carriers and sells them at the airport ticket counter. However, I wouldn’t recommend procrastinating this task until you’re at the airport. The carriers may be out of stock on this day, which will definitely ruin the trip.
Can I take my dog out of the carrier on a plane?
That’s a big no. Airlines can be pretty firm about this. Since this might annoy fellow passengers, your dog must remain inside the carrier at all times. You can only check on him through the mesh windows.
Additionally, the carrier can’t be kept on your lap, in the overhead bin, or anywhere but under the seat in front of you.
Can I take my dog out of the carrier in an airport?
That’s another no. You can only remove your pet from the carrier at a designated pet relief area.
What happens if my dog barks on a plane?
First of all, stay calm. Panicking can actually annoy fellow passengers more than barks. Apologize to the nearby passengers and proceed to calm your dog with words, petting, or treats. Do anything but removing the dog from the carrier.
What happens if a pet on a plane has to go to the bathroom?
Sadly, there are no relief areas for dogs on planes. If your dog couldn’t hold it and caused a mess, alert the flight crew promptly. You might be charged a pet cleanup fee.
Personally, I think that the Prodigen Airline-Approved Pet Carrier is the best dog carrier for airplanes. The zippered all-around mesh windows comfort your dog by allowing him to constantly see you.
If your shoulder hurts, drag the Sherpa On-Wheels Pet Carrier around. It uses the shoulder strap as a pull handle, which makes it incredibly convenient.
If you’re an all-in-one enthusiast, try the Gen7Pets Compact Roller Pet Carrier. It serves as a rolling carrier, backpack, car seat, and a duffle bag.
Lastly, I wish you a lovely flight and an unforgettable trip with your precious doggy!