What Should I Do if My Dog Ate a Wasp? (Solved & Explained!)

From time to time, dog owners find themselves in unexpected predicaments. This is especially true with highly inquisitive dogs, who seem to always find ways of getting themselves into trouble. With that said, what do you do if your dog swallows a wasp?

The first thing to do if your dog swallowed a wasp is to keep the dog close by for at least the next few hours and observe for swelling around the mouth or head or difficulty breathing. These would be signs of an allergic reaction and need for an immediate vet visit.  Otherwise, treatment at home should be fine.

Aside from an allergic reaction, nausea or discomfort are other possibilities associated with swallowing a wasp. Through careful monitoring and bearing in mind the information below, you can ensure that your pup will be feeling better in no time.

What To Do if Your Dog Ate a Wasp?

If your dog is not showing signs of needing immediate medical attention, you are probably safe to treat and monitor at home. By following these steps and through careful monitoring, you can help ensure that all bases are covered while your dog recovers from the unfortunate and scary incident.

Remove Your Dog From the Area

Immediately remove your dog from the area where wasps were encountered. The more wasp stings they get, the more likely that they will have a severe allergic reaction. Let’s face it- dogs aren’t always the best at making these judgment calls for themselves, so they will need you to guide them away before they get more hurt.

As soon as you have removed your dog from the area, give them a full-body check to make sure that no wasps remain hidden in their long fur, under the collar, or anywhere else that isn’t immediately visible. From here, you should immediately go indoors so you can monitor them comfortably until you’re sure the threat of a reaction has passed.

Take Note: What Happened?

Grab a piece of paper or open the notes app on your phone and take down the details. Note the time, place, and details of the contact between your dog and the wasps. This is critical information to have if your dog does wind up having a reaction. Signs of a dog having an allergic reaction to a wasp sting may include:

  • Diarrhea
  • Swelling Around Affected Area
  • Swelling Around Neck or Mouth
  • Weakness
  • Disorientation
  • Breathing Difficulties

You may also choose to jot down any other important details. Take note if your dog was stung anywhere else on their body, particularly in the eyes, ears, or other sensitive areas.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

Finally, note your dog’s demeanor prior to the wasp encounter so you can tell if there is a remarkable change in their mood or behavior following the event.

Notify Your Veterinarian

Even if your dog does not seem to be having any type of reaction to the wasp sting, you should contact your veterinarian and inform them of the situation, which allows your veterinarian to be ready in case you do wind up needing to bring your dog in for help.

Some websites will instruct you to administer antihistamines to your dog. You should never give your dog any kind of medication without first discussing it with your veterinarian.

Calling to notify the vet will also provide you an opportunity to ask about administering any preventative allergy medication, as well as receive information on the proper dose.

Remove Wasp Nest if Necessary Before Returning

If there is a wasp nest present in the yard, you should contact an exterminator to assist in removing it from your property. If the wasp or wasps seem to have traveled to your yard from somewhere else, you will still want to handle the problem with the use of a natural wasp repellant that will not be toxic to your dog.

A lot of household items like dish soap and vinegar can help repel wasps from your property, and there are numerous sources online which will tell you how to use these products effectively.

Push Water

The more water your dog drinks, the easier it will be to digest the swallowed wasp. It will also cool and relieve any sting sites that have been raised in the dog’s stomach or esophagus. Try to get your pet to drink as much water as possible throughout the rest of the day.

If your dog won’t drink water, try feeding them ice cubes or even giving them watered down chicken or beef broth, instead. Take note, though, if your dog is refusing water altogether, as this may also be a sign that it is time to head toward the veterinary clinic.

Providing TLC After Your Dog Ate a Wasp

Your dog is likely not going to feel good for the rest of the day or even several days after swallowing a wasp, especially if they were stung in the process. Stay close to your pet, give them lots of affection and attention, and let them snuggle close if they want to.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

Much like people, dogs recover faster from injury and illness when they are comfortable and feel cared for. Don’t be afraid to spoil your dog during this event. The closer you stay to your pet, the happier they will feel and the more likely you’ll be to recognize when your dog is experiencing an unusual symptom that might need immediate intervention.


It can be a scary event when your dog swallows a wasp, but it happens much more commonly than you think. While close monitoring will be your best bet at heading off any potentially nasty reactions, there are several other smaller measures that can also be taken.

With consistent monitoring, open communication with your veterinarian, and plenty of love and TLC, your dog will be feeling normal again in no time and back to exploring the great outdoors. This time, though, they will hopefully avoid any painful or dangerous snacks!