When traveling with a pet, it is important to have the right gear to keep them safe and comfortable. The Mr. Peanut Gold Series Expandable Pet Carrier is a great option for small dogs and cats. This carrier is made of durable materials, has plenty of leg room, and comes with three doors for easy access. The zippable side pocket is a handy feature for carrying your leash and treats. Although this carrier is heavier than some cheaper models, it is worth the extra weight due to its many features.
In this article, we will take a closer look at the Mr. Peanut Gold Series Expandable Pet Carrier and how our top dog tester, Ella the Chihuahua mix, liked it.
Note: If you click some of the links or pictures in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- What I Was Looking For In an Airline Dog Carrier for My Chihuahua
- What Makes the Mr. Peanut Gold Series Expandable Pet Carrier Great
- Mr. Peanut Expandable Carrier Overview Video
- Quick Videos Of Ella Using the Carrier
- Where To Buy
- Is the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier Airline Approved?
- What is the weight limit for the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier?
- What colors does the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier come in?
- How easy is it to clean the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier?
- My dog is a Houdini and escapes from everything, will he be able to get out of this carrier?
- What is the warranty on the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier?
- Is It Leak-Proof?
- What Other Animals Can Use the Carrier?
- Do the Doors have Locks?
- Is It Scratch Proof?
- Does It Come With a Shoulder Strap?
- What Size is the Side Pocket?
- How Breathable Is It?
- How Much Does It Weigh?
- What Are the Dimensions of the Carrier?
- What Do I Do If My Dog Gets Restless In the Carrier During Flight?
- What Do I Do If My Cat Gets Restless In the Carrier During Flight?
- What Makes the Mr. Peanut Brand Different Than Other Carrier Brands?
- How to Choose an Pet Carrier for Airline Use In-Cabin
What I Was Looking For In an Airline Dog Carrier for My Chihuahua
As someone who frequently travels with my Chihuahua, I know how important it is to have a good quality carrier. For me, the most important features in a carrier are durability, comfort, and ease of use. I also prefer carriers that have plenty of ventilation and room for my dog to move around and fully lie down on their side (the ultimate comfort position!).
What Makes the Mr. Peanut Gold Series Expandable Pet Carrier Great
The Mr. Peanut Gold Series Expandable Pet Carrier is a great choice for those travelling with small dogs. It is easy to carry on top of your carry-on luggage, and the lockable zippers ensure that your dog cannot escape from the inside. The carrier is also durable and scratch resistant, making it a good option for restless dogs. Additionally, the carrier has three doors for easy access, as well as a zippable side pocket for carrying essentials like a leash and treats. Finally, the padded shoulder strap ensures that you are comfortable while carrying your pet.
The full list of benefits includes:
- Fits easily on top of your carry-on so you don’t have to lug it around while going through the airport
- Lockable zippers so your dog can’t get out from the inside
- Durable, Scratch Resistant Mesh so they can’t tear a hole if they get restless
- Lots of leg room (or room to put a food and water dish on the side)!
- 3 Doors for easy access
- Zippable side pocket to carry your leash and some treats to keep your dog calm if they get restless
- Padded shoulder strap for extra comfort
- The bed can be easily removed and it has a zipper so you can pull out support piece and wash the outer cover.
- Heavier than cheaper models because the parts are higher quality and more durable (but still heavier!)
- More expensive
- Pockets are a bit small – enough for treats and a leash but not for food for the trip
- The side wall fleece is cozy but not removable for washing so if your dog or cat spills from their water or food bowl here it’ll be harder to clean
Mr. Peanut Expandable Carrier Overview Video
If you’re still undecided about the Mr. Peanut carrier, check out this video for an overview of the product and some tips on using it.
Quick Videos Of Ella Using the Carrier
Here are some quick videos of our top dog tester, Ella the Chihuahua mix, using the carrier.
Ella Going Into the Carrier
In this video, you can see how easily Ella goes into the carrier on her own. She has plenty of room to move around and turn around inside.
Ella Tired of Her Acting Work and Ready for More Treats
Where To Buy
The Mr. Peanut Expandable Carrier is available on Amazon, directly through the Mr. Peanuts website, at Chewy.com, and through Walmart online.
- PLEASE KEEP IN MIND that we show the exterior dimensions as well as approximate interior dimensions to best portray the usable interior space for your pet. The interior space will be less than exterior due to the fabric thickness and plush faux fleece padding. The rounded contours of the tote design means interior dimensions are approximate and shown at their maximum measured points
- PLEASE NOTE INTERIOR SIZING & PET MEASURING GUIDELINES BEFORE PURCHASE - Best Fits Pets up to 14"Lx11"H and up to 12lbs. Airline capable carriers are designed for pets lying down, so your pet may not be able to stand. It is best to measure your pet while comfortably laying down, as that is the typical position during flight
- AIRLINE REQUIREMENTS - Always keep in mind each airline sets their own specific requirements, and they can even vary from their domestic, international, and shuttle services so it is always advised to check with your airline of choice. All will require your pet to be comfortable in the carrier, and to remain under the seat in front of you. All prefer a soft sided carrier for its adjustability and we have designed our carrier to comply with major airline configurations
- STRONG & WATERPROOF - Weighing in at only 2.8 lbs, Designed with Breathable Mesh on all Sides for Proper Ventilation * Removable Fleece Travel Bed with Plywood Base for Additional Support * Padded Shoulder Strap * Name Tag * Zippered Mesh Storage for Treats, Meds Papers * Seatbelt Attachments * Included Mr. Peanut's Cool Logo Storage Pouch, Folds to 3" for storage
- DESIGNED WITH with a Ventilated Top to meet all airline regulations of under forward seat compatibility including Delta, Southwest, United, American, Virgin and others
Is the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier Airline Approved?
Yes, the Mr. Peanut’s Gold Series Mini Expandable Soft Sided Pet Carrier is approved by most major airlines. All airlines have different guidelines so be sure to check yours or call them before the flight.
For Southwest for example, we have to call them after booking the tickets to get Ella approved to fly then when we get there we have to check in at the front and pay a fee for Ella. You can’t pay the fee online or add a dog online.
Check these policies for common airlines:
What is the weight limit for the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier?
The carrier can accommodate dogs up to 15 pounds. It best fits pets up to 14 inches tall and 11 inches long and up to 12lbs.
What colors does the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier come in?
The carrier is available in charcoal ash (the one shown in the videos), Deja Blue, Platinum Gray, Purple, and Rosa Red (pink).
How easy is it to clean the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier?
The carrier is easy to clean with a damp cloth. The bed can be removed and washed separately.
My dog is a Houdini and escapes from everything, will he be able to get out of this carrier?
The Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier has lockable zippers to prevent escape artist dogs from getting out.
What is the warranty on the Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier?
The carrier comes with a one-year limited warranty. See website for details.
Is It Leak-Proof?
The Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier is not leak-proof but it is made with a durable, water resistant fabric.
What Other Animals Can Use the Carrier?
The carrier is also suitable for small cats and other pets weighing up to 15 pounds. It best fits pets up to 14 inches tall and 11 inches long and up to 12lbs.
Do the Doors have Locks?
No, the doors do not have locks and the zippers don’t have rings so you can’t use a small luggage padlock.
Is It Scratch Proof?
The mesh panels are scratch resistant so your pet’s nails shouldn’t be able to tear through.
Does It Come With a Shoulder Strap?
Yes, the carrier has a padded shoulder strap for comfortable carrying.
What Size is the Side Pocket?
The side pocket is large enough to hold a leash, some treats, and your keys or phone. It’s not big enough to hold a water bottle, food bowl, or more than a day’s worth of kibble.
How Breathable Is It?
The mesh panels provide good ventilation from all three sides as well as the top and the carrier is made with a water resistant, durable fabric.
How Much Does It Weigh?
The carrier weighs just over 3 pounds.
What Are the Dimensions of the Carrier?
The carrier measures 17″ x 11″ x 11″ when expanded and 17″ x 11″ x 7″ when
What Do I Do If My Dog Gets Restless In the Carrier During Flight?
If your dog is restless in the carrier during flight, try placing a favorite toy or piece of clothing in the carrier with them. This may help to calm them and make them feel more secure. You can also try wrapping the carrier in a blanket to create a snug feeling den-like environment.
Some people find that using an anxiety wrap or thunder shirt can also help to calm their dog during travel.
For Ella, she got restless after about an hour of flying so I calmed her down by opening the top flap, petting her for a bit, and giving her a few pieces of her kibble as treats. Next time I’ll be bringing her favorite toy as well.
If your dog is likely to get restless, try taking them for a walk before getting on the plane. This will help to tire them out and make them more likely to sleep during the flight.
What Do I Do If My Cat Gets Restless In the Carrier During Flight?
There are a few things you can do to make your cat more comfortable during a flight. One is to give them a toy or something to play with so they’re distracted. You can also put their carrier in an area where there’s some natural light and/or warmth, and you can keep them hydrated by giving them water before and during the flight.
If your cat gets restless in the carrier, you can try to calm them down by petting them or speaking softly to them.
What Makes the Mr. Peanut Brand Different Than Other Carrier Brands?
The Mr. Peanut Expandable Pet Carrier is different than other carriers primarily because it’s made of high-quality materials and is expandable. This means that it will last longer and be more comfortable for your pet than other carriers on the market.
The carrier is also water resistant and has lockable zippers to prevent escape artist dogs from getting out.
How to Choose an Pet Carrier for Airline Use In-Cabin
There are a few things to consider when choosing an airline-approved pet carrier for in-cabin use. The most important factor is size, as the carrier must be small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. Other factors to consider include weight, materials, and ventilation.
It’s also important to make sure that your pet is comfortable in the carrier. Choose a carrier that’s big enough for your pet to stand up and turn around in, and make sure there are no sharp edges or protrusions that could injure your pet. The carrier should be well-ventilated and made from lightweight materials that won’t add too much weight while you’re carrying it around the airport and to and from your destinations.
My name is Danny Jackson and I’m the CEO and Chief Editor behind Petloverguy.com. After spending a decade working with vets and private clients as an animal behavioral and nutritional specialist I co-founded Pet Lover Guy to help other pet parents learn how to interact with, and make the most of the time that they spend with their adopted and rescued best pet friends.
Working with Ella, our chihuahua rescue, we seek to help all dog and cat lovers have the happiest life possible.