Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Best for Training
- Best To Keep Yorkies In Yard
- Best for Training Small Yorkies or Teacup Yorkies
- How To Use a Shock Collar For Yorkie Training
- Step 1: Introduce Stimulation
- Step 2: Give Command
- Step 3: Stimulate If Command Isn’t Followed
- Step 4: Praise If Completed
- Step 5: Continue Until Command is Learned
- How To Use a Bark Collar On Yorkies
- Step 1: Follow Manual
- Step 2: Set Proper Stimulation Level
- Step 3: Place Collar on Dog
- Step 4: Turn the Collar On
- Can You Use A Shock Collar On A Yorkie?
- How Old Should My Yorkie Be To Use A Shock Collar?
- Do Shock Collars Work For Yorkie Barking?
- Will A Shock Collar Stop My Yorkie From Running Away?
Best for Training
The best shock collar for training a Yorkie is the NVK dog training collar. One of its very best features is that it has a keypad lock. Too often, pet owners accidentally shock their dogs because the remote control is in their pockets. All it takes is a little bit of pressure to accidentally shock your dog.
This remote controller fixes that by implementing a keypad lock. When the lock is in place, any button that you push won’t send a signal. You need to remove the lock in order to properly use the remote.
Another great feature of this shock collar is its waterproof collar and controller. You don’t have to worry about the collar short-circuiting if you find yourself caught in a rainstorm.
It also has different training modes. You can use a noise, vibration, or shock to train your dog.
It also has 0 to 99 shock levels. Since Yorkies are small, you’ll likely only need to use the smaller numbers. However, having such a long range means you can make your own custom training regime with the collar.
Finally, the range can reach up to 2,500 feet. That allows your dog plenty of space to run around before you need to rein in them.
- 3 Training Modes: with 3 training modes (Static Shock (0-99 levels), Vibration (1-9 levels), Beep)
- 4 Channel: NVK shock collar with remote support a maximum of 4 dogs training only 1 transmitter
- 1600ft Remote & Waterproof: Shock collar for dogs with range up to 1600ft, waterproof level IPX7
- Security Lock: The prevents misoperation on the remote, without worrying about the accidental shock
- Training Collar: Takes about 2 to 3 hours to charge fully and they will last for about 15 days
Best To Keep Yorkies In Yard
The PetSafe wireless fence unit is a great option for those who want to keep their Yorkies in the yard. You can control the range of the allowable perimeter that your Yorkie can run around in. This makes it ideal for small and large yards.
The package also comes with white flags that you can use to mark the boundary. Your dog will come to associate those flags with their own territory.
The collar has five different shock levels. This ensures that you can find the right one to correct your dog. It also has a tone mode if you only wish to use sound.
The best thing about this particular shock collar is that it’s portable. You just need to bring the transmitter with you.
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (22-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
- NO WIRE TO BURY: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
- 5 LEVELS OF CORRECTION: The system features 5 levels of static correction plus a tone-only mode
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- STAY & PLAY COLLAR: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 lb and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches
Best for Training Small Yorkies or Teacup Yorkies
The PATPET small dog shock collar is ideal for teacup Yorkies because it’s designed for small dogs. Other shock collars may be too intense for teacup Yorkies. It may burn their skin or cause them serious harm. Some may even kill them.
This shock collar is designed to be gentle on smaller breeds but still emit enough of a shock that the dog notices it.
It also has different training modes like noise, vibration, and shock. Its shock mode has six different levels of intensity.
It also has two different channels, enabling you to train two different dogs at the same time.
One of the best features of this collar is its quick-charge battery. After just two hours, the collar is fully charged and ready to be used again.
- 3 Training Modes & Security Switch : provides 3 Safe effective humane training modes. Customized static shock (1-16) levels, vibration mode, standard “Tone” mode. The security switch prevents any misoperation on the remote. Feel free to carry the remote without worrying about the accidental shock
- 2 Channels Maximum Control & Longer Remote Control Range : If you want to train two dogs through one remote, PATPET can meet your needs. Up to 3000 Ft that allows you to train your pet easily both indoors and outdoors
- 2 Hour Quick Charge & Longer Bettery Life : After 2-hour fully charging, the receiver collar is able to work 30 days and the remote is able to work 60 days. Low battery display on both remote and receiver reminds you charging time in advance
- Comfortable for All Sizes of Dogs : The adjustable nylon collar fits dogs with neck sizes 7" - 27". Stronger and smaller collar, Perfect for all size dogs (5 lbs~100 lbs), even puppies fit perfectly
- IPX7 Waterproof Technology : If your dog likes to play with water? Don't worry, The IPX7 waterproof collar stays in a water depth of 3.2 Ft for half an hour, and its performance is not affected. So your dog can enjoy chasing toys around a pool, or playing in the rain freely
How To Use a Shock Collar For Yorkie Training
Step 1: Introduce Stimulation
Using minimal shock levels, you should give your dog one stimulation to get their attention and to introduce the feeling to them.
Step 2: Give Command
Now that you have the Yorkie’s attention, you should voice the command that you want them to learn. It sometimes helps to add a physical gesture to the command.
Step 3: Stimulate If Command Isn’t Followed
If the dog doesn’t follow the command, then stimulate them. You may need to show them what you need them to do.
Step 4: Praise If Completed
Any time they obey the command, you should give them positive reinforcement. That might mean praise, a treat, or both.
Step 5: Continue Until Command is Learned
The process should continue until the dog obeys the command without the need for stimulation.
How To Use a Bark Collar On Yorkies
Step 1: Follow Manual
Bark collars will include a manual that will give an indication as to the level of discipline you should use for your dog based on its size and weight. If this information isn’t provided, then you should research what appropriate levels you should use based on the size and weight of your dog.
Step 2: Set Proper Stimulation Level
Most bark collars either use tone, vibration, or shock to discipline the dog. Some use all three. You should switch to the mode that you want to use, and then choose the level of intensity of that mode. You should always test the collar on yourself first to determine the strength of the stimulation.
Step 3: Place Collar on Dog
Once the collar is set, you can place it around your Yorkie’s neck. The prongs should be touching their skin. You may need to move their hair if your Yorkie has long hair.
Step 4: Turn the Collar On
With the collar in place, you can turn it on. Any time your dog barks, they will receive discipline from the collar. You should supervise them to ensure they’re okay. You should also only use the collar for a few hours at a time.
Can You Use A Shock Collar On A Yorkie?
You can use a shock collar on a Yorkie. However, you need to make certain that the shock isn’t too intense. Certain collars may already start off on high levels if they’re made for larger dogs. Finding shock collars for smaller dogs is ideal.
How Old Should My Yorkie Be To Use A Shock Collar?
Most breeders agree that 8-10 weeks old is an acceptable time to start using a shock collar. However, considering the Yorkie’s size, you may want to wait until they are one year old. You should consult with your vet for a specific answer pertaining to your dog’s size and weight.
Do Shock Collars Work For Yorkie Barking?
Bark collars that use shock as stimulation can be effective at curbing barking. However, it shouldn’t be used excessively. Barking is a natural form of communication for dogs.
Will A Shock Collar Stop My Yorkie From Running Away?
Certain shock collars that are linked to wireless fences may keep your Yorkie from running away. They’ll receive a shock if they attempt to cross the boundary. That might be lesson enough to stay inside of their territory.