Another way that you can cook chicken for your dog is by baking it. Many of the steps are similar to that of boiling the chicken, as listed below.
Table of Contents
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
- 2. Get 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Use a silicone mat or a non-stick spray on a cooking tray. Place the breasts on the tray.
- 2. Add the tray of chicken breasts to your preheated oven then bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 3. Remove the chicken breasts. Cut into the center and confirm it’s fully cooked (no pink meat).
- 4. Let cool for 10-15 minutes then shred the chicken.
- 5. Add the baked shredded chicken to plain boiled white rice and give it to your dog.
- Can you bake chicken for dogs?
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit
2. Get 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts. Use a silicone mat or a non-stick spray on a cooking tray. Place the breasts on the tray.
You’ll want three chicken breasts, a cooking tray, and a non-stick agent. The first step should be to add the non-stick agent to the bottom of the cooking tray.
Your chicken can then be placed on the baking tray with no additional seasonings added to them.
2. Add the tray of chicken breasts to your preheated oven then bake for 20-30 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
The oven should be pre-heated to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Once it reaches that temperature, you can place your chicken in the oven and let it bake for 20-30 minutes.
Keep in mind that smaller pieces of chicken will finish sooner than larger pieces of chicken and may need to be removed first.
3. Remove the chicken breasts. Cut into the center and confirm it’s fully cooked (no pink meat).
4. Let cool for 10-15 minutes then shred the chicken.
Just like with boiling, you’ll want to shred the chicken for your dogs to eat a lot easier. You’ll also want to let the chicken cool for 10-15 minutes.
5. Add the baked shredded chicken to plain boiled white rice and give it to your dog.
So how much should you feed your dog for each meal? To answer that we’ll need to dive in and do some quick calorie math.
Let’s use my dog Ella as an example. She’s a chihuahua mix that weighs 11 pounds. She eats 1/4 cup of dry food twice a day.
We use Taste of the Wild which has about 360 calories per cup. The average cup of dry dog food has about 400 calories so this example should work for just about anyone.
So, back to Ella, she eats 1/2 a cup a day of dry food which is about 180 calories (200 on average for most dry foods).
One 3.5 ounce boiled chicken breast has 284 calories. We made 3 in the example above so that’s 852 calories of cooked chicken.
A 1/2 cup of cooked white rice boiled in chicken broth has about 113 calories. In our example above we boiled 2 cups of dry rice which usually turns into 3 times that cooked or 6 cups of cooked rice.
6 cups of rice boiled in broth come out to about 678 calories.
678 calories of rice mixed with 852 calories of shredded chicken come out to 1530 total calories.
So, if I was trying to match how much Ella would need at each meal so she isn’t gaining or losing weight I’d need to figure out 180 calories of chicken and rice for each meal.
Based on the numbers above the 1530 calories of chicken and rice would provide about 8.5 meals. Let’s be indulgent and call it 8 so she gets a bit more. She is sick in this example.
Finally, to feed your dog based on the example in this article use the following table. It’s based on the rough number that a dog needs about 25 calories of food per pound of body weight per day. If you want to really nail down a number you can use the complicated formulas in this article (or just use 25).
Note – It’s likely your dog weights something in between these numbers. Simply use the 5-pound row to add in how much it should be. The same thing goes if your dog weighs over 100 pounds. Again, these are rough numbers for a small time frame. In the long run, you’ll learn the actual amount by seeing if they are slowly gaining weight over time (or losing it). Then you can add in an extra 1/4 cup or remove it as needed.
Can you bake chicken for dogs?
Yes, baking or roasting chicken is one of the easiest and safest ways to cook food for your dog. When combined with rice or cooked sweet potato you have the perfect meal for pups with sore tummies or just for dogs that want a healthy, whole food less processed option.