Dogs are poisoned by chocolate. Although it is a pleasant treat for humans, even a tiny amount can be severely harmful to your dog’s health. Dogs can even die from eating chocolate in rare situations.
Continue reading to understand why chocolate is hazardous to dogs, what to do if your pet eats chocolate, as well as how to protect your dog from the harms of chocolate.
Table of Contents
- Safety Concerns
- Why Chocolate Considered Is Poisonous for Dogs
- Maximum Amount of Chocolate A Dog Can Consume
- How Your Dog’s Weight and Chocolate Amount Affect Chocolate Poisoning
- Chocolate Allergies
- Help, My Dog Ate Chocolate! What Do I Do?
- How Vets Save Dog’s Lives that Eat Chocolate
- How To Keep Your Dog Safe from Chocolate
Chocolate is harmful to dogs primarily due to theobromine, which canines cannot adequately digest.
Suppose your pet consumes any amount of chocolate? In that case, you should keep a careful eye on them and seek veterinarian help if they exhibit any symptoms, especially if they are extremely young, pregnant, or have other health issues.
Overall, feeding chocolate to your dog is never a good idea under any circumstances, so keep any chocolate treats out of your dog’s reach.
Why Chocolate Considered Is Poisonous for Dogs
Chocolate contains methylxanthines, a group of compounds that includes caffeine and theobromine. The effects of these substances on the heart and muscles are well-known.
When a dog consumes chocolate, their bodies are unable to digest the theobromine compounds in the same manner that ours can. These substances increase your dog’s susceptibility to the harmful effects of the chemicals.
On the other hand, caffeine is a powerful stimulant found in coffee and energy drinks. It enhances the functioning of our brain and central nervous system. Caffeine can be tolerated in enormous doses by humans, but even a tiny quantity might cause problems in dogs. Caffeine ingestion in dogs can also cause muscular twitching, convulsions, and tremors.
Maximum Amount of Chocolate A Dog Can Consume
Ideally, your dog should never under any circumstances consume chocolate. If your dog does consume chocolate, a tiny amount, such as a piece of your cookie, is unlikely to be harmful or deadly. The toxicity of the chocolate ingested by your dog relies on several factors, including the type of chocolate, the amount of food your dog has consumed, and the size of your dog.
Toxicity for Different Types of Chocolate
Chocolate of any kind can be hazardous to dogs, but the amount and kind consumed are vital aspects to consider since caffeine and theobromine concentrations vary. Darker, more bitter chocolate is often thought to be more harmful since it contains more theobromine per ounce than other forms of chocolate.
Unfortunately, chocolate poisoning can occur if a dog consumes more than 0.5 ounces per pound of body weight in milk chocolate or more than 0.13 ounces per pound of dark or semi-sweet chocolate. It’s also worth noting that practically all baker’s chocolate ingestions can end in poisoning and should be treated as an emergency.
How Your Dog’s Weight and Chocolate Amount Affect Chocolate Poisoning
Along with the kind and amount of chocolate consumed, your dog’s weight is an essential consideration.
Compared to a 10-pound dog that consumes a more significant quantity of milk chocolate, a 10-pound dog who eats a lesser amount of dark chocolate may develop more severe symptoms and require more treatment.
Dogs, like people, may acquire allergies to almost everything they consume. Toxicity is a more significant risk with chocolate intake in dogs. If you suspect your dog is suffering an allergic reaction, you should seek assistance from a veterinarian.
Chocolate poisoning in dogs has the potential to be life-threatening. Unfortunately, this implies that your dog’s favourite treat might kill them.
If your dog does consume chocolate, it may experience symptoms like stomach pains, vomiting, diarrhea, muscular spasms, seizures, or even death. If your dog does exhibit any of the symptoms listed above, you must act quickly to save its life.
Help, My Dog Ate Chocolate! What Do I Do?
Contact Your Veterinarian Immediately
If you assume that your dog has eaten chocolate or is exhibiting any of the hazardous symptoms of chocolate poisoning, take them to the veterinarian immediately. If you think your dog ate a large amount of chocolate or very dark chocolate with a high theobromine content, be aware that your veterinarian may need to induce vomiting or provide activated charcoal, which can prevent theobromine from entering the bloodstream.
Make Sure You Act Quickly
To achieve the greatest possible recovery, your dog should be treated for chocolate poisoning as soon as possible. In extreme situations, more extensive treatment and overnight care may be necessary.
Save Any Packaging Contents for Your Vet
Save the packaging from the chocolate your dog ate so that your vet can determine the appropriate course of action for your dog under particular circumstances.
How Vets Save Dog’s Lives that Eat Chocolate
While you wait for help and guidance, keep your dog quiet and protected. The veterinarian may offer you information on how to induce vomiting at home or urge that you go to the clinic right away.
Activated charcoal, the insertion of a stomach tube to remove poison directly from the stomach, intravenous fluids to aid with hydration, and cardiovascular support, among other treatments focused on treating specific clinical symptoms, may be delivered by a veterinarian. A chocolate-poisoned dog’s overall prognosis is often favorable with prompt and effective care.
How To Keep Your Dog Safe from Chocolate
Dogs, like humans, are attracted to sweets and will most likely want to eat whatever you’re eating. Since dogs are inclined to eat chocolate if given the chance, it’s critical to ensure your dog never comes into touch with it.
To keep your dog away from chocolate:
- Make sure that any humans who come into touch with them are aware of the hazards of chocolate for dogs.
- When children are around the dog, keep an eye on them and teach them that feeding the dog chocolate is not a good idea.
- Ensure that chocolate is kept out of reach and placed in high cabinets.
However, teaching your dog to accept the ‘leave it’ command is one of the most effective ways to keep them safe from chocolate poisoning.
My name is Ken and I’m one of the staff writers at Petloverguy.com. I’ve cared for pets most of my life starting with hamsters, turtles, and snakes. Then moving up to parakeets, guinea pigs, and even ducks.
I currently live with two yorkies and a chihuahua mix.