Dog Ate Hershey Bar: Vet Time? (Solved & Explained!)

Dogs are difficult to take care of because, in a way, they’re like toddlers. You have to monitor what they’re eating and what they can get into. One item they shouldn’t eat is chocolate. So what should you do if your dog had a Hershey bar?

If your dog ate a Hershey bar, first determine what type of chocolate it was: milk, white, or dark. The type of chocolate is very important since the more bitter the chocolate, the more toxic it is. From there, call your local vet for advice and monitor your dog for symptoms like vomiting, hyperactivity, and diarrhea. 

The rest of this article will cover what to do if your dog ate a Hershey bar, how to stop them from having a Hershey bar, why you shouldn’t feed your dog Hershey bars, and how to care for your dog after chocolate poisoning.

What To Do If Your Dog Ate A Hershey Bar

Hershey bars, no matter what size, are toxic to your dog. Chocolate is a toxic substance you should never feed your dog. If you accidentally feed them a Hershey bar, or they get their paws on one, you should first determine what type of chocolate they ate.

The type of chocolate increases the severity. Dark chocolate is the most dangerous to dogs. If your dog has dark chocolate, even in a small portion, take them to the vet as soon as possible. The bitterness dark chocolate has can lead to severe symptoms that require hospitalization.

Milk chocolate is the least dangerous, but chocolate of any type will be dangerous to dogs in high volume. If your dog consumed a whole Hershey bar, call your local vet for advice. With chocolate poisoning, they don’t treat the poisoning: they treat the symptoms as they come.

Symptoms will occur 6 to 12 hours after the dog ate the Hershey bar. These symptoms include, but aren’t limited to: vomiting, increased drooling, increased thirst and body temperature, diarrhea, high heart rate, hyperactivity, and in some severe cases, dogs will have cardiac failure.

If you see these symptoms, prepare to take your dog to the vet. They’ll need to get treatment for those symptoms before they get severe. However, if they only ate a little bit of your Hershey bar, don’t panic. Watch them for symptoms and be ready to call a vet.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

How to Stop Your Dog From Having Hershey Bars

The best way to combat chocolate poisoning is by not letting it happen in the first place. It’s near impossible to watch your dog all day and all night, so you’ll need a preventive measure to ensure your dog won’t eat your Hershey bars.

For starters, make sure the bar is wrapped properly. If it’s unwrapped, the dog has easier access to it. However, keeping it in its wrapper only goes so far. The bigger the dog you have, the more likely they can tear that wrapper to shreds. That means you have to hide it.

To hide the chocolate bar, you should put it on the top shelf available. That way, you’ll hear the dog trying to get it. If they even can get it, that is. There’s also another option: hiding the Hershey bar behind a closed door. That door can be a cupboard, a pantry, or a fridge.

Why You Shouldn’t Feed Your Dog Hershey Bars

Chocolate is dangerous to dogs because they digest the substances differently than humans do. There’s caffeine and theobromine in chocolate. These substances work their way through a human’s system in mere hours. For a dog, it can take up to 18 hours.

The substance theobromine is toxic to your dog, and that’s one of the core items making up chocolate. Theobromine is more harmful than even caffeine since you can find more of it in chocolate. Theobromine is what causes hyperactivity in the dog.

In severe cases of chocolate poisoning, your dog could die. This is why you shouldn’t feed your dog Hershey bars, or any type of chocolate for that matter. Keep it out of reach at all times, and make sure to know where you store all your Hershey bars.

How To Care For Your Dog After Chocolate Poisoning

After the symptoms are gone and your dog is healthy, you should take more precautions to make sure they’ll never have chocolate again. For the next week, make sure you monitor your dog and watch their daily activities. If more symptoms show up, call your vet.

The chocolate won’t harm them after it’s processed through their digestive system. If there’s more symptoms, they could have gotten into more chocolate, or another food they aren’t supposed to be eating. That’s why it’s important to watch for more symptoms.

Keep a close eye on them and feed them only food suitable for them. If they have less of an appetite, don’t panic, they may be scared of eating again after their last experience. Ease them into it with small bits of food. Take it slow and comfort your dog as much as you can.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

Conclusion

You should never let your dog have chocolate since it’s toxic to them. Hershey bars are a type of chocolate you should hide from your dog. In the case your dog eats a Hershey bar, identify which type of chocolate they had, and how much. From there, call your local vet for advice.

The first step to preventing chocolate poisoning is keeping the Hershey bar in the wrapper until you’re ready to eat it. If possible, keep it on a high shelf. Or, if no high shelves are available, hide the Hershey bar behind a closeable area like a cupboard, pantry, or fridge.

After chocolate toxicosis is taken care of, you should still monitor your dog for a week to make sure that no symptoms come back. The chocolate should leave their system after it’s digested, but in the case that it isn’t gone, or they ate more chocolate, watch your dog.