We all know that cats aren’t supposed to eat chocolate. However, sometimes it is hard to determine if chocolate is only toxic in its natural form, or if that toxicity transfers into baked goods. If you’re here because your cat ate a brownie and you’re worried about what to do next, we’ve got you covered!
Cats should not eat chocolate brownies. They are just as toxic as chocolate in its natural form. The level of toxicity will depend on what kind of chocolate the brownie is made of. If your cat has eaten a large amount, your best plan of action is to contact your veterinarian immediately.
In this article we will discuss why chocolate brownies are toxic for cats, the different levels of toxicity in chocolate types, and what to do if your cat has eaten a chocolate brownie.
Table of Contents
- Why Are Chocolate Brownies Toxic For Cats?
- What Are The Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning?
- What Do I Do If My Cat Ate A Chocolate Brownie?
- Final Thoughts: Seek Veterinary Help If Your Cat Ate A Chocolate Brownie
Why Are Chocolate Brownies Toxic For Cats?
The common ingredients in a brownie include flour, eggs, butter, chocolate, coca powder, and sugar. While there may be more ingredients than this, especially if you purchased the brownie from a store and didn’t make them, these are the basics.
As you might guess, the ingredients in the brownie that are the worst for your cat are chocolate, cocoa powder, and sugar.
Cats should never really be given sugar in their diet as they don’t get this from their natural diet and have a hard time processing it. However, the ingredients toxic and of the most concern are chocolate and cocoa powder.
What Ingredients in Chocolate and Cocoa Powder Are Dangerous For Cats To Consume?
The main ingredients in chocolate and cocoa powder that are toxic to cats are caffeine and theobromine.
Both of these naturally occurring ingredients found in cocoa beans are toxic and absorbed slowly by a cat’s body. They don’t have the ability to digest large quantities of caffeine or theobromine, and a high dosage can even be lethal.
However, different kinds of chocolate contain different levels of these ingredients, which means certain kinds are more toxic than others.
Which Type Of Chocolate Is The Most Toxic For Cats?
Bakers chocolate is the most toxic to cats because it contains the highest levels of caffeine and theobromine. Next would be dark chocolate/semi-sweet, then milk, then white.
For an 8 lb. cat, only 0.2 ounces of baking chocolate can be lethal, then 0.5 ounces of dark/semi-sweet, and 1.14 ounces of milk.
It is important to know what the brownie your cat consumed was made from. If you made them from scratch this will be easy to determine. You’ll also easily be able to figure out how much your cat consumed by looking at the proportions in the recipe and the amount of brownie your cat ate.
If you don’t know these answers, it is best to contact a veterinarian immediately.
If your cat only ate a small amount of a milk chocolate brownie they would likely be okay, but if they ate a large portion or a whole piece of brownie, it is still best to get professional veterinarian advice.
Every cat reacts to the compounds in chocolate differently, and given the worst-case scenario after chocolate consumption is death, it is always best to take it seriously.
What Are The Symptoms Of Chocolate Poisoning?
It is important to understand what the symptoms of chocolate poisoning are in your cat so you can identify if your cat appears to be suffering from chocolate consumption.
The symptoms include:
- Fast/irregular heartbeat,
- Elevated temperature, and
- Frequent urination.
If you aren’t sure if your cat did eat a piece of brownie it is important to watch for these signs so you can attempt to confirm that the chocolate consumption did occur.
What Do I Do If My Cat Ate A Chocolate Brownie?
You should call your vet right away if your cat has consumed a quantity of chocolate that is worrisome. If your vet is closed you can check if they provide an emergency number, check if there are emergency pet hospitals in your area, or call a pet poisoning control hotline.
You should do your best to answer the following basic questions:
- Your cat’s weight, age, and any known health issues;
- The type and amount of chocolate consumed; and
- When the chocolate was consumed.
These will help the veterinary professional determine a treatment plan for your cat.
How Do Vets Treat Chocolate Poisoning?
Your vet will likely recommend that the cat be brought in to receive treatment. The first step vets take if the chocolate has been consumed recently is to purge the chocolate from the cat system by inducing vomiting.
At this point they may require the cat to stay in the hospital and be monitored. They will sometimes use fluids to keep the cat hydrated, and continually monitor their heart and body systems. They may prescribe anti-seizure medicine, anti-sickness medicine, or heart medicine.
The extent of the treatment will depend mainly on the amount and type of chocolate consumed and when it was eaten. If most of the chocolate can be purged from the cat’s system and they aren’t displaying any signs of chocolate poisoning then your cat may be able to come home with you right away.
Should I Attempt To Make My Cat Purge The Brownie?
On occasion your vet may recommend using a small dosage of hydrogen peroxide to make your cat vomit and purge the brownie from their system. However, without the proper tools this can be tricky.
Generally vets will only recommend this if there is no other option, such as if you don’t have transportation to a vet, there are no 24-hour clinics near you, or it has already been a while since the cat likely ate the chocolate.
It isn’t recommended to induce vomiting without the direction of your vet.
Final Thoughts: Seek Veterinary Help If Your Cat Ate A Chocolate Brownie
Cats should not eat chocolate brownies due to their high levels of caffeine and theobromine.
If your cat has consumed chocolate brownie in large quantities or it is made from dark or baking chocolate, then you need to contact a vet immediately and receive treatment for your pet.
It is usually possible to avoid death after chocolate consumption if veterinary help is sought immediately.
My name is Ken and I’m one of the staff writers at Petloverguy.com. I’ve cared for pets most of my life starting with hamsters, turtles, and snakes. Then moving up to parakeets, guinea pigs, and even ducks.
I currently live with two yorkies and a chihuahua mix.