Chocolate muffins are a delicious treat for humans, but you just discovered that your favorite furry feline has devoured the wrapper before it made it to the trash. What should you do if your cat has eaten a chocolate muffin wrapper?
Although chocolate is toxic to cats, it is unlikely there was enough of the toxic compounds in a chocolate muffin wrapper to cause concern for your cat. Special considerations are your cat’s weight, if xylitol is an ingredient, and if your cat can pass the wrapper without getting a blockage.
Although you probably don’t need to rush your cat to the vet, discover the warning signs that may point to your cat needing medical assistance.
Table of Contents
- First Action to take When your Cat Eats a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper
- What in a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper Could Harm my Cat?
- Why is Xylitol a Concern if my Cat Ate a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper?
- How can the Wrapper of a Chocolate Muffin Harm my Cat?
- My Vet Said to Monitor my Cat at Home. Now What?
- My Vet said to Bring my Cat in After Eating a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper
- Final Thoughts
First Action to take When your Cat Eats a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper
The first action you should take is to call your vet directly and ask their advice. Your vet may want you to take your cat in right away as chocolate is a toxic substance to cats. Alternatively, your vet may give you instructions for monitoring your cat at home.
What in a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper Could Harm my Cat?
- The wrapper itself
Why is Chocolate Dangerous to Cats?
Chocolate contains two compounds that are toxic to cats: caffeine and theobromine. The amount of these substances in chocolate depends on how much cocoa is used.
A 100% cocoa baking bar will be far more toxic than bakes goods containing cocoa powder; however, even the most dilute chocolate can be toxic if your cat eats enough of it.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning can occur 6-12 hours after your cat eats the chocolate, and may include:
- Decreased appetite
- Increased thirst
- Increased urination
- Increased heart rate
- Panting or rapid breathing
- Muscle Tremors
Why is Xylitol a Concern if my Cat Ate a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper?
Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is becoming increasing common in a variety of sweet foods, including baked goods such as chocolate muffins. Xylitol is often used to lower the overall sugar content of the food to make it a better option for some people.
While it appears that xylitol is more toxic to dogs than to cats, xylitol is quickly absorbed into your cat’s system and can alter the blood sugar levels of your cat. Dogs are more susceptible to this poisoning, but both dogs and cats may experience liver failure and severe hypoglycemia.
If your muffin contained xylitol, be sure to tell your vet so they can take this into consideration when making a treatment plan for your cat.
How can the Wrapper of a Chocolate Muffin Harm my Cat?
If the wrapper was made from paper, your cat will most likely digest it easily. It is possible, however, that your cat may experience a blockage along its digestive track, especially if the wrapper was made from metal.
The main symptom to watch for regarding a potential blockage is vomiting. Cats will vomit repeatedly if the have a blockage. They may also lose weight, appear weak, and have diarrhea. It is imperative that you call your vet immediately if you suspect your cat may have a blockage.
My Vet Said to Monitor my Cat at Home. Now What?
If your vet feels it is best for you to monitor your cat from home, ask the following questions and write down the answers:
- How long should I watch my cat for symptoms? How soon may symptoms begin to appear?
- Which symptoms mean I should bring my cat in immediately?
- Which symptoms should I watch for and call if they appear?
- Is it important for my cat to be continuously supervised, or is ok to go to bed and check my cat in the morning?
- Are there any interventions I should take at home?
Feel free to ask your vet any other questions you may have. Your vet is your partner in your cat’s health and is willing to go the extra mile to make sure your cat stays healthy.
My Vet said to Bring my Cat in After Eating a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper
If your vet told you to bring your cat in to be seen, they might suspect your cat has eaten a substantial amount of a toxic substance or is at risk of an intestinal blockage.
What can I Expect to Happen at the Vet?
Your vet will determine the best course of action after a thorough examination of your cat and interview with you about your observations.
The first step may be to make your cat vomit. This will reduce the amount of the toxic substance your cat absorbs by removing any remaining muffin wrapper in your cat’s stomach.
Whatever you do, do not attempt to induce vomiting yourself. Cats are extremely susceptible to aspiration, which may lead to serious illness. In addition to this risk, common practices to induce vomiting, such as ingesting hydrogen peroxide, can cause serious ulcers in cats.
Other Ways to Treat a Cat After Ingesting a Chocolate Muffin Wrapper
If your vet thinks your cat is at risk of poisoning, they may choose to pump activated charcoal into your cat’s stomach. This will bind to any of the toxins still present and allow them to pass safely through your cat without risk of more being absorbed into your cat’s system.
If your cat has vomited a large amount or has experienced diarrhea, your vet may recommend IV fluids to replace the liquid that was lost. This will prevent complications that could result from dehydration.
Of course we do the best we can with our pets to keep them happy and healthy, but accidents may happen. The best way to avoid potential complications from your cat eating a chocolate muffin wrapper is to make sure she doesn’t have access to it in the first place.
Make sure any trash that may be toxic to your cat is not set down anywhere other than in the trash and keep the trash where your cat cannot get it.
Another precaution is to obtain pet insurance before your cat has an emergency. Having pet insurance will protect both you and feline companion from the high costs of emergency care.
My name is Ken and I’m one of the staff writers at Petloverguy.com. I’ve cared for pets most of my life starting with hamsters, turtles, and snakes. Then moving up to parakeets, guinea pigs, and even ducks.
I currently live with two yorkies and a chihuahua mix.