Water bottles for a dog crate? Believe it or not, there are a ton of great options. Many are much easier to refill or change out than by reaching inside the crate to change a bowl. In this article, we’ll cover some of the best dog crate water bottles available today.
Table of Contents
- The Best Dog Crate Water Bottles
- Best For Small Sized Dogs
- Best For Large Dogs
- Best for Rambunctious Dogs
- Best For Puppies and Dogs That Can’t Figure Out Ball Dispensers
- Best Outdoor and No Refill Model
- Best Hanging Food and Water Bowls for Puppies
- Dog Water Bottle Benefits
- Dog Water Bottle Cons
- Can Dogs Drink From Water Bottles?
- Will Cats Drink From a Hamster Type Bottle?
- How Do I Crate Train My Dog or Cat to Use Crate Water Bottles?
- How Do I Get My Crate Water Bottle to Stop Dripping?
- How Do I Stop My Dog From Chewing On the Bottle Tip?
The Best Dog Crate Water Bottles
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Best For Small Sized Dogs
First off we have Choco Nose’s patented water bottle for dog crates. It’s sturdy, comes in a variety of cute colors, and is easy to attach and refill.
While it works great it is a bit small. This is a problem we found with a lot of water bottles.
Originally we were going to recommend this for medium-sized dogs. Instead, we recommend it only for small dogs less than 15 lbs.
We’ll review a few larger models but be warned. There aren’t a ton of huge water bottles out there. Most are really medium-sized. If you have a large dog we recommend getting two bottles of one of the larger models below.
- Why Choco Nose Water Bottle? Are You Tired of Changing the Wet Bedding for Your Pet Cage? This Is The Best Small Pet Water Bottle For Your Beloved Pets. Providing A Wet-Free and Mess-Free Living Area For Your Furry Kids Is Very Essential. Choco Nose U.S. Patented Leakproof Nozzle Can Prevent Water Leakage Effectively. Our Innovative Design Allows Your Pets to Enjoy Clean and Fresh Water While Keeping Your Home Clean and Dry.
- U.S Patented Leak-proof nozzle/ No Drip Dog Water Bottle/ BPA Free/ Mess Free/ 11.2 oz Capacity. Regular-sized nozzle (16mm) is recommended for Small-Medium Sized Dog (15-30 lb): Beagle, Corgi, Dachshund, French Bulldog, Mini Poodle, Shiba Inu, Schnauzer, etc；Large-sized Rabbit; Cat.
- This Pet Water Bottle is NOT recommended for Small Animal, such as Hamster, Ferret, Guinea Pig, Small-sized Bunny, Chinchilla, etc.
- User Friendly Screw-on bracket: Simple and easy installation. You can easily snap the water Bottle on or off for cleaning and refilling water. Nail-on bracket: It may also be nailed to the wall or wooden furniture with screws.
- Eco-Idea: Pet owner can switch our bottle to most regular sized PET bottles (Soda Bottle).
What We Like
- Easy to attach
- Easy to pop off and refill
- Cute Colors
What We Don’t Like
- Smaller than expected
- Best for puppies and very small dogs
Best For Large Dogs
The Lixit it (“Licks It”) water bottle is a full 32 ounces. That’s the same size as your standard Nalgene you’d take hiking. It’s bigger than a lot of other models but still not huge. For 50 pound and up dogs you’ll find yourself wanted a massive 44 ouncer style 7/11 Super Gulp.
Sadly such things don’t commonly exist. For super big dogs, we recommend just getting two bottles. That way you’re not refilling them too often.
- MADE FOR LARGE DOGS: Unlike other water bottles marketed for dogs, the Lixit Wide Mouth water bottle is made using an extra-large tube to meet the watering needs of large pets.
- QUALITY STAINLESS STEEL: The tube is made from 304 American stainless steel that is commonly found in food preparation. We finish our tubes till they have a satin finish like quality silverware.
- VACUUM SEAL: Lixit bottles work by forming a vacuum to hold the water inside. It is important to fill the bottle all the way to the top and ensure the cap is on tight to prevent leaking. Some dripping when the bottle is first turned over is normal.
- EASY TO CLEAN: The Lixit 32oz Dog bottle features a large opening that allows you to easily clean inside with a bottle brush. The bottle is BPA free
- SECURE MOUNTING: This water bottle features a heavy-duty spring that securely mounts to your dog's crate or Kennel.
What We Like
- Easy to refill
- Less drooling from dogs with cheek jowls (e.g. bulldogs) – This is true though of all water bottles. They drink more slowly and less sloppily so there’s less to fall out the sides of their cheeks.
- Short dog noses don’t get wet and dirty as when drinking from a bowl
What We Don’t Like
- Drips if you don’t fill it during refills (read directions carefully)
- Not as easy to attach as other models
Best for Rambunctious Dogs
This sturdy model is great for puppies and chewers. You can easily adjust its location and height.
It comes with all the perks of water bottles – no more spilled bowls of water in the crate; no more cat litter in the water bowl.
The only downside is you can’t easily screw off the top to quickly refill it.
- NO DRIP DESIGN: Made in dripless design with 3 stainless steel balls construction, effectively prevents water leakage, not only does the water feeder save water, but it saves the cage from a drippy mess, keep the floor clean and tidy. Tips: You can buy this one as alternate water bottle for your pets, easy and convenient
- EASY INSTALATION: Dog Water bottles are easily fixed on to kennels or cages (outside or inside) by clamp, mounted on two positions on the bottle, meanwhile for greater height adjustment ability. It can be also removed easily
- SAFE MATERIAL: Made from high quality, nontoxic environmental friendly ABS, BPA-free, safe and harmless to your pet, ensure the finest and safest quality for your four-legged members of the family
- SPECIAL FOR SMALL PETS: Specially designed for smaller mouths. 450ml Pets water bottle is suitable for different pets, small and medium dogs, cats, rabbits, etc. Independent dog water dispenser can keep the water clean, avoid mosquitoes, dust and other contamination, ensure water quality
- PORTABLE BOTTLE: Automatic Water dispenser (5.5inch *2.1inch) can also be portable water bottle when walking dogs. Your pet has access to cool, clear, fresh water at all times to keep him hydrated and healthy
What We Like
- Super Sturdy
- Like all water bottles – no more puppies tipping over the water bowl
- Fun to play and chew
- works with cats and dogs
- 450 ml (15 ounces)
- No more cat litter in the water bowl (from cat pawing)
- Adjustable for small dogs
What We Don’t Like
- Can’t refill from the top – need to take the bottle off to refill
Best For Puppies and Dogs That Can’t Figure Out Ball Dispensers
- EASY TO MOUNT WATER FEEDER: Designed to quickly & easily mount onto the side of your pet cage or dog kennel using a turnable “fixer “ wheel, this water feeder makes it easy to care for your precious pooch or kitty.
- QUICK, EASY TO REFILL BOTTLE: Unlike the average water feeder for dogs & cats, this one comes with a bottle that couldn't be easier to fill. All you have to do is turn it over, unscrew the top, fill with water & then re-screw.
- KEEPS PETS HAPPY & HYDRATED: Make sure your pet is happy & hydrated while you're away with the reusable Poodle Pet kennel water feeder! It allows you to provide water for your kenneled dog without the wet messes.
- GREAT CHOICE FOR DOG KENNEL: Since it never drips unless your pet taps the tip with his or her tongue, this unique gravity kennel water dispenser ensures your pal can safely drink whenever he or she is thirsty.
- BEST AFFORDABLE PET SUPPLIES: We here at Poodle Pet make it our top priority to provide high quality cat & dog supplies pet owners can depend on. This dog water gravity dispenser is one of our bestsellers!
What We Like
- No ball dispenser – easier for dogs to understand
- Keeps water bowl filled automatically
- Smaller, fixed water container so there’s somewhat less spilling compared to a normal dog bowl
- Better leak protection than a hanging ball bearing based water bottle
- 17-ounce capacity (larger than most water bottle hangers).
- Use your own water bottle that’s larger – 20 ounce Mountain Dew bottles, anyone! Note, if you use a soda bottle change it often. These aren’t meant to be reused.
What We Don’t Like
- Be careful when ordering this model. They have changed the design but didn’t change the listing. If you intend to get the bottle with the cup double check before ordering. The old version was a standard upside-down ball-bearing bottle where the end was easily chewed and dented.
Beyond the few bottles mentioned above the other options seem to feel very much like copycats.
Rather than display two more bottles that are really no different than the others we want to show you two other options.
One is a no refill outdoor dog water bowl that attaches to a hose bib. The other is a set of hanging food and water bowls for crates.
Best Outdoor and No Refill Model
Please note that this model will not work in small dog crates. It’s better intended for outdoor larger crates and kennels or just for outdoor setups.
We included it because like water bottles it gives you an easy low-mess method to give water access to your dogs all day.
Plus you never need to refill it. Simply clean it out every once in a while.
- 100% Brand new and high quality. Heavy Gauge Stainless For Long Life.（Notice:we will send the hose that showed in the first picture,other scene pictures for reference only）
- 304 stainless steel, durable, no rust, no deformation, clean and sanitary.
- Smooth edge polished , to avoid traumatic infection the caused by scratching.
- The use of float water level floating principle control the inlet and outlet water switch, to achieve a constant water level effect, keeps enough water and always clean water.
- Package: 1 * Automatic Stainless Water Bowl & 1 * 1/2 Thread Diameter Pipe.(Don't include installation hardware)
What We Like
- This one attaches to a pressurized water line – no refilling ever
- Great for outdoor water bottles
- Great for large dogs or lots of dogs
- Keeps the water cool in the summer (by refilling often)
- No issues with rust, stains, mold, or algae (do remember to clean it though!)
- Attaches to a standard outdoor hose bib
What We Don’t Like
- Still need to remember to clean the bowl. Can’t get away from this. In a way, it’s harder since it refills automatically!
- Not for small crate use
- Needs to be bolted to a wall – setup is harder than other options
Best Hanging Food and Water Bowls for Puppies
- EASILY ATTACHES TO CAGE- Featuring a base around the rim of the bowl and wire hook brackets, these dishes can securely attach to pet crates, cages, or even chain link fences. Hanging feeders help to eliminate more food and water spills from bowls tipping and sliding compared to a standard dish on the ground of the pet kennel.
- HIGH QUALITY AND EASY TO CLEAN- Our bowls are made using high quality stainless steel- an excellent and safe choice for feeding your pet. Additionally, each dish can be removed from the tray for easy cleaning after use and, for added convenience, is also dishwasher safe.
- SAFE FEEDING OPTION- Stainless steel cannot be chewed, cracked, or broken and tends to be the safest feeding choice for your pet. Stainless steel also prevents odor buildup unlike plastic or ceramic alternatives.
- PRODUCT DETAILS – Set of 2 Dishwasher Safe Feeders. Dimensions: 6.5 inches (Diameter) x 2.25 inches (Height). Individual Bowl Capacity: 20 Fluid Ounces. Material: Stainless Steel
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – PETMAKER is committed to providing consumers with the absolute best price and value on our entire line of products. NOTE: This is an exclusive product of PETMAKER and ONLY Hanging Stainless Steel Food and Water Bowls by PETMAKER are GUARANTEED to be genuine
What We Like
- Great for puppies
- Easily attaches to wire crates
- Easy to clean (stainless steel)
- Comes in 8 oz or 20 oz size
- Works just as well for cats or even ferrets
What We Don’t Like
- Water still splashes but at least it’s elevated.
- Bowls can pop out of the rings – use a C -clamp for each one to hold them down
Dog Water Bottle Benefits
- Keeps short dog noses clean (they don’t get dunked and wet)
- Less drooling right after drinking (for dogs with big cheek jaws that leak water)
- Less water on the floor
- Keeps water fresher (food, flies, and other things drifting in the air don’t settle as they do in open dog bowls)
- Less evaporation (good for outdoor use or in arid western states)
Dog Water Bottle Cons
- Many drips either from the type of bottle, the angle of install, or how it’s filled
- Most are smaller than you’d want
- Need to refill more often than dog bowls
- Training required but relatively easy (see FAQ below)
Can Dogs Drink From Water Bottles?
Definitely. Dogs can easily learn and even love to drink from water bottles. Plus you’ll enjoy some of the benefits like less water on the floor from water bowl splashing, easier to clean, and they keep short-nosed dog noses cleaner since they don’t get wet and dirty.
Will Cats Drink From a Hamster Type Bottle?
Yep. Just like dogs cats can also be trained to drink and like hamster-type bottles in their crate or carrier. You can even set these up around the house or outside.
Training with cats can be a bit difficult. Follow our steps in the training below. If all else fails keep putting peanut butter or a similar treat on the bottle tip to get your cat to understand that if they lick it water will come out.
How Do I Crate Train My Dog or Cat to Use Crate Water Bottles?
Training a dog or cat to use a new water bottle is simple. The trick is getting them to feel the water at the tip of the ball. Follow these steps to get the job done:
- Put your pet in the crate
- Fill the water bottle and attach
- Get their attention
- Tap the end of the ball on the bottle so water drips
- If possible get them to touch the water coming out
- Repeat till they get their ah-ha moment (“Oh this is water!)
- Still not getting it? Put peanut butter or similar paste treat on the end so they start licking it.
- Lick, lick, lick
How Do I Get My Crate Water Bottle to Stop Dripping?
Dripping is a common problem for all cage water bottles. Use these simple tips to stop the drip:
- Skim the instructions again. Different bottles require different filling strategies
- Fill the bottle fully to the brim with water. Carefully screw on the top. Then invert and put on the cage. Less initial airspace can help prevent drips.
- Tilt the water bottle at different angles till the dripping stops. Use wire or string to hold it in place at that angle.
How Do I Stop My Dog From Chewing On the Bottle Tip?
If your dog is chewing on the metal spigot at the end it may not be getting enough water. Check the instructions and see if you can remove one of the ball bearings inside the spout.
Some models have multiple balls to help prevent dripping. This can really slow down the flow.
Also, perhaps they haven’t learned to lick it to get water out. Try adding peanut butter to the end so they lick it. Repeat that for a few training sessions.