When it comes to feeding your feline pet, automatic cat feeders are the new trend! These machines allow you to control when your cat eats and how much food they get.
Automatic cat feeders are a fantastic solution for cat owners who worry about interrupting their pets’ feeding schedule due to full-time jobs or frequent traveling.
Today, we’ll be helping you find the best PetSmart automatic cat feeder to make sure your kitty receives proper nutrition even when you’re not home!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
6 Best PetSmart Automatic Cat Feeders
PetSafe Eatwell 5 Meal Automatic Pet Feeder
- Custom mealtimes: Schedule mealtimes down to the minute to serve your pet up to 5 meals per day
- Feeder capacity: Each compartment in the removable tray holds up to 1 cup of dry or semi-moist food; Use this feeder to give your pet treats throughout the day
- Helps manage pet's weight: Schedule smaller meals throughout the day to help keep your pet healthy; Best for cats and small to medium dogs
- Feed now option: If you’d like to feed your pet an extra meal (or snack) simply press the feed now button to rotate the tray; Pressing this button does not cancel the next scheduled meal
- Suspend feeding option: If you and your pet aren’t home, you can use the suspend feeding option to stop the feeder from feeding the next meal without losing the programmed schedule
First up is the PetSafe 5 Meal Automatic Pet Feeder. This reliable automatic feeder can serve up to 5 meals per day, each section delivering up to 1 cup of dry or semi-moist cat food.
The PetSafe 5 Meal Automatic Cat Feeder is ideal for small and medium-sized pets, so it should work fine for just about any cat. You can also schedule small meal portions to help keep your feline’s weight under control.
The dishwasher safe food tray is made using BPA-free plastic, and the machine itself runs on 4 alkaline batteries that are sold separately.
- 5 separate meals per day
- Helps in weight management
- BPA-free construction
- No power cord option
PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Pet Feeder
- SCHEDULE YOUR PET'S MEALS: Conveniently schedule up to 12 meals per day for your cat or dog; best for cats and small to medium sized dogs
- FLEXIBLE PORTIONS: Schedule 1/8 cup to 4 cups per meal depending on your pet’s unique needs; requires 4 D-cell alkaline batteries (not included) or power adaptor (adaptor sold separately)
- WORKS WITH MOST KIBBLE: Feeder works with dry and semi-moist pet kibble that is up to 3/4 inch in diameter
- SLOW FEED OPTIONS: For pets who tend to eat too quickly, schedule meals larger than 1/8 cup to slowly dispense over 15 minutes
- PET-PROOF: The feeder is designed to keep prying paws from sneaking food before scheduled mealtimes
The PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Pet Feeder is one of the highest-rated candidates in the market for all the right reasons.
It features a simple programmable system that serves up to 12 meals for your cat. The flexible portioning allows you to schedule meal sizes from ⅛ cup to 4 cups depending on your pet’s nutritional needs.
The machine comes with a slow feed option to avoid stomach upset for cats who munch on food too quickly. The plastic components are BPA-free and the feeding bowl is made of stainless steel, both of which are dishwasher safe.
The PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Pet Feeder is battery operated, but you can buy a power adapter if you want the corded operation.
- Flexible portions
- Slow feed option
- Clear lid to know when a refill is due
- On the pricey side
Petmate Le Bistro Portion Control Programmable Pet Feeder
- Portion controlled
- Large LCD screen
- Programming is easy
- Twist-lock lid that keeps food fresh
The Petmate Programmable Pet Feeder helps you maintain your cat’s feeding routine by controlling their feeding time and portion amount.
The machine features an LCD screen with a built-in meal counter so you can simply set up and monitor the cat’s feeding schedule. This process also saves you the daily hassle of scooping and measuring meals.
Moreover, the lid has a twist-lock to make sure the food stays fresh for as long as possible.
The Petmate Programmable Pet Feeder comes with a transparent hopper to let you check the food level at a glance. It’s available in two sizes: 5-pound and 10-pound hopper, so you can pick the size that works best for your needs.
- Removable bowl is dishwasher safe
- 3 button control panel
- Transparent hopper for quick monitoring
- The lid isn’t secure enough
Cat Mate C3000 Automatic Pet Feeder
- Battery operated timer controlled feeder for cats and small dogs
- Large 6.5 pounds dry Food hopper
- Dishwasher safe Bowl, hopper and lid
- Easy to use lcd Display
- Pet-proof Snap lock lid and self-closing feed nozzle
The Cat Mate C3000 Automatic Pet Feeder allows you to schedule up to 3 meals with a minimum size of 10 pounds per feed. The unique mechanism guarantees accurate and consistent dispensing of meals whether in advance according to the programmed times or on-demand.
The C3000 automatic cat feeder features a ‘frequent feed’ mode that provides your cat with several small meals throughout the day, which is very handy if you got feline pets with specific dietary requirements.
Additionally, this automatic feeder has a snap-lock lid for secure fastening, as well as a self-closing feed nozzle to make sure your cat eats only when you allow it. The machine runs on 4 C batteries, with a 6.6-pound hopper that holds enough food for approximately 1 month.
- Large capacity
- Frequent feeding mode
- Self-closing feed nozzle
- 3-year warranty
Cat Mate C20 Automatic Pet Feeder w/ Ice Pack
- Two large food bowls each hold 1 pound (450 grams) wet food
- Easy-clean, removable, dishwasher safe lids and bowls
- Ice pack (included) helps keep food fresh
- 48 hour battery operated timer requires 1 x AA / LR6 battery (not supplied)
- 3 year guarantee
Designed to feed one or two cats while you’re away, the Cat Mate C20 Automatic Pet Feeder consists of two large food bowls with individual timers and a 1-pound capacity each. It’s very simple to operate, you just need to set the timer on each lid to open within a 48-hour window.
The unit features an ice pack to help keep the food fresh for as long as possible. Moreover, the removable food bowls and lids are dishwasher safe to allow for easy cleaning.
The Cat Mate C20 Automatic Pet Feeder requires 1 AA battery to operate, comes with a 3-year warranty in case issues arise.
- Includes ice pack for freshness
- Can be attached to a board for stability
- No low battery indicator
PetSafe Automatic 2 Meal Pet Feeder
- FEED YOUR PET ON TIME: Use the dial timers to schedule 2 pre-portioned meals for your pet up to 48 hours in advance, in 1-hour increments
- FEEDER CAPACITY: Each food tray holds up to 1.5 cups of dry or semi-moist food; best for cats and small to medium sized dogs
- PORTION CONTROL: Use the feeder to schedule pre-portioned meals for your cat or dog; a 48-hour timer allows you to feed your pet 2 smaller meals per day, or 1 larger meal over 2 days
- TREAT YOUR PET: Set one or both trays to deliver snacks or a rewarding treat to your cat while you are away
- TOP-RACK DISHWASHER SAFE: Place the BPA-free plastic food trays in the top-rack of the dishwasher for easy clean-up
Another decent choice from PetSafe is the Automatic 2 Meal Pet Feeder, which runs on 1 AA battery to deliver meals or treats while you’re away from home.
Each tray of this feeder holds up to 1 ½ cups of dry or semi-moist cat food, making it ideal for cats’ feeding. You can set the timer to open the lid of each tray independently for your cat to eat up to 48 hours in advance.
The included plastic food trays are free of BPA and dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. The 2nd generation version of the PetSafe Automatic 2 Meal Pet Feeder is also tamper-resistant to prevent cats from opening the lids before the timer is up.
- The timer is easy to set up
- Holds up to 1.5 cups per tray
- Not very sturdy
How to Choose the Best Automatic Cat Feeder
The following are a couple of tips to help you choose the best PetSmart Automatic Cat Feeder:
- Make sure there’s an accurate digital timer with flexible interval options.
- Check if the feeder has a mode for small portion meals.
- Make sure the materials are durable and non-toxic (for example, BPA-free plastic).
- Check if the feeder works with your cat’s favorite food.
- Check if the feeder saves your settings after you turn it off or change batteries.
- Make sure the lid is secure enough to fight off curious cats.
- Keep an eye out for a warranty to help you in case there’s an issue.
If you’re looking to buy the best PetSmart automatic cat feeder, our list of the top 6 products out there should be able to help you land a great deal.
That being said, we highly recommend the PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Pet Feeder as today’s winner thanks to its durable construction and handy features.
But if you’re in the market for something more affordable, then you should consider the Cat Mate C20 Automatic Pet Feeder w/ Ice Pack.