Wireless and Underground fences are a great way to keep cats safe in their own space. But with so many options on the market, it’s hard decide which one is the best for your cat’s needs.
That’s why we at Petloverguy have taken an in-depth look at all of the available wireless fence systems for cats, including wireless, in-ground, and indoor models as well as GPS trackers.
We’ve broken down everything you need to know about these systems, from how to choose the best one for your cat’s needs to answer some of the most common questions about them.
So if you’re looking for an effective way to keep your pet safe without confining them indoors or building a physical fence around your property, this guide has got you covered!
Table of Contents
- Petloverguy Review Process
- In a Rush? Top Choices Table
- Our Top Picks For Best Invisible Cat Fences
- Types of E-Fences For Cats
- How to Choose the Best Fence System for Your Cat
- How to Train Your Cat on a Wireless Fence System
Petloverguy Review Process
At Petloverguy, we put each cat’s electric fence to the test. We evaluate them on the following criteria:
- Ease of installation – how quickly and easily can it be set up?
- Range – how large of an area does it cover?
- Durability – is it made with high-quality materials?
- Price – is it a good value for the money?
- Pet safety – will your cat be safe and secure while using it?
We also look at customer reviews to get an accurate picture of how these systems perform in real-world scenarios. This ensures that you’re getting the most reliable information on each model before making your final decision.
At the end of our review process, we’ll recommend the best fence for cat owners that meets all of your needs and budget.
In a Rush? Top Choices Table
Our Top Picks For Best Invisible Cat Fences
Best Outdoor Wireless- PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Pet Fence
The PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Pet Fence is a great option for cats who need an outdoor containment device. It is easy to install and set up in square or circular yards, ranging from 22 ft in diameter to 105 ft in diameter. This wireless system can contain multiple pets at once, making it ideal for multi-cat households.
The system is also ideal for travel and camping, as the boundary can easily be adjusted to fit the desired area.
The only downside is that cats lighter than 7 lbs may find it too bulky or uncomfortable to wear.
All in all, this PetSafe system is a great choice if you’re looking for an outdoor containment solution for your feline friend.
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: Sets up in just 1-2 hours and creates a circular boundary that covers up to a 3/4-acre yard (22-105 ft in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
- NO DIGGING OR WIRE TO BURY: Sets up in just a few hours; a wireless boundary allows you to create a secure barrier around your yard to protect your pets without the time or hassle of burying wires. Waterproof collar adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 in
- MOST ACCURATE WIRELESS FENCE: Other wireless pet fences have unreliable boundaries that could correct your dog in his home
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Unlike traditional in-ground fences, this wireless fence allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- TRUST THE BEST: Our proprietary circular boundary gently guides your dog back to his play area
- Ideal for square or circular yards up to 3/4 of an acre
- Adjustable for different sized yards – smallest is 22 ft in diameter and largest is 105 ft in diameter
- If they do get out they can come back in without a static correction
- Once your pet is trained to the fence we found it works well for RV camping as well set to the smaller diameter boundary of 22 ft
- You can buy extra collars for unlimited pets. You can even use this on guest posts (though the training is required!)
- Very easy to setup and install (5 of out 5 points)
- Tone-only mode
- Too bulky for cats less than 7 lbs
- Not good for rectangular yards, weird-shaped yards, and yards larger than 105 feet in diameter
- Training with this and all systems can be tricky with cats
Watch this full review of the system and see a cat currently using it.
Best Outdoor For Weird Shaped Yards – PetSafe Classic In-Ground Fence for Dogs and Cats
This underground fence for Dogs and Cats is a great option for those with long, L-shaped yards or other outside areas that won’t fit into the spherical shape of an electric fence.
With 500 ft of wire, this system can cover up to 1/3 an acre and additional wire can be added to cover up to 5 acres.
It is also compatible with the Pawz Away Indoor system, allowing for a complete indoor and outdoor containment solution.
While it requires installation and setup can be tricky in certain areas, this fence provides reliable containment and protection for cats of all sizes.
It is important to remember that proper training is essential with any containment system. Your cat must learn boundaries and understand that crossing them will result in a static correction.
With patience and dedication, this system can provide the perfect outdoor containment solution for your feline friend.
- EXPANDABLE UP TO 5 ACRES: Comes with 500 ft of wire to fence in a 1/3-acre yard, but if you purchase more wire you can contain up to a 5-acre play area
- LCD SCREEN: Digital LCD screen shows you what the boundary distance is set to and displays a warning indicator so you will know if there is a wire break
- 8 DIFFERENT COLLAR SETTINGS: Level 1 is tone and vibration which is perfect for training; levels 2-8 are adjustable static correction that you can set based on your dog’s temperament
- COMPATIBLE WITH PAWZ AWAY PET BARRIERS: This in-ground fence system is compatible with all our Pawz Away Pet Barriers so you can protect off-limit areas inside or outside your home
- WATERPROOF, RECHARGEABLE COLLAR: Indicator lights on the receiver collar will let you know when the battery is running low; collar quickly recharges in 2-3 hours
- Ideal for long yards, L-shaped yards, or other yards that won’t neatly fit into the spherical shape of an e-fence
- Comes with 500 ft of wire which we found is just enough for about 1/3 of an acre. You can buy additional wire from any in-ground fence supplier and splice it to this system allowing you to expand up to 5 acres.
- Can be combined with the Pawz away indoor system so that this in-ground system works outside for the entire property boundary then the indoor system can be used to keep your cat away from certain trouble areas.
- Works on smaller 5 lb cats (though still bulky! – 4 out of 5 points)
- Tone-only mode
- Requires in-ground installation. We found that wasn’t too hard and it was well worth it for our L-shaped yard but it’s still not as easy as a wireless setup (3 of 5 points)
- Complicated to set up across a driveway or sidewalk. See our full article on how to do that here.
- If your cat escapes it’ll get a static correction on the way out as well as on the way back in. The other wireless systems don’t have this issue.
Best Indoor System – PetSafe Pawz Away Threshold Indoor Pet Barrier
The PetSafe Pawz Away Threshold Indoor Pet Barrier is a great way to keep your cats indoors, away from furniture and off countertops. This indoor pet barrier works by using an electronic collar that emits a harmless signal when the cat approaches the boundary of the area you want them to stay in.
The micro-adjustable setting allows you to create areas of 6-12 feet in diameter and it will work with cats of any size (as long as their neck is at least 6 inches around).
It’s a great way to keep cats away from plants, off furniture, and out of baby rooms.
Training your cat to stay within the barrier may be tricky however, so it’s important to use a leash and create visual cues to help them understand the boundaries. Once they understand, you can let them roam freely and enjoy the peace of mind that your cats are safe indoors.
- SET INDOOR BOUNDARIES: Keep your cat off the kitchen counter and your dog away from the shoe rack by setting off-limits areas with the wireless, Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier transmitter.For cats and dogs 5 lb and up
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: You’ll receive 1 Pawz Away Indoor Pet Barrier and a receiver collar for your cat or dog to wear
- SAFELY CORRECTS YOUR PET: When your pet enters the boundary area wearing the receiver collar, they will hear a series of beeps and then will receive a safe yet startling static correction
- ADJUSTABLE BARRIER RANGE: Protect specific areas throughout your home by adjusting the boundary up to a 6 feet radius or 12 feet in diameter
- PROTECT MULTIPLE AREAS OF YOUR HOME: If you want to keep your pet away from more than 1 area of your home, simply purchase additional Pawz Away barriers and place them where needed
- Finally – a way to keep your cat off the counter and table!
- Can be used to keep a cat in a room or to keep a cat away from plants or other sensitive areas like a nursery
- Great for all-size cats (fits neck sizes from 6-28 inches around)
- Micro-adjust for small 6-foot diameter barriers up to 12-foot barriers. the larger size is perfect for keeping your cat out of small 10’x10′ rooms.
- Stop cats from knocking things off high shelves and counters – Better safety for you and your kids
- Keep your new furniture clean and keep your cats off them!
- Some cats have learned that once the collar comes off the barriers have no meaning – smart little devils, ha! You may need to keep these on to keep them working.
- Harder to train since the boundary is smaller – The system didn’t come with flags. See the section below on how to train a cat for things like this and use a leash and set up a visual cue for them till they get it.
Best Overall GPS Tracker – Tractive GPS
- Always know what your cat is up to with this GPS tracker that securely attaches to their collar. It’s curved for your kitty’s comfort and there’s no space between the tracker and the collar which means there’s no risk of your cat getting stuck or entangled on their adventures.|Set up a virtual fence and be notified if your cat wanders too far from home. Plus the LIVE mode offers location updates every 2-3 seconds right from the app.|You can monitor activity to see if your cat is getting enough exercise and compare their habits to other cats all over the world.|Plus see where your cat likes to hang out with a heatmap of their favorite places and location history data.|The Tractive GPS app makes worldwide location tracking and activity monitoring simple. The tracker works a bit like a smartphone with a SIM card and ability to connect to networks worldwide for uninterrupted coverage.|It’s lightweight at 1.2 ounces and recommended for cats over 8.8 lbs.|This tracker is 100% waterproof adventure-proof and lasts up to 7 days on a single charge.|Here’s what’s in the box: GPS tracker charging cable and collar attachment.|Monthly subscription plans start at $6.00 per month and include 24/7 coverage in over 175 countries. (Required for use.)|This product is Rover verified. Pet parents love it and we think you will too! Learn more
- Ideal for cats that have flown the coop even using all the wireless options above
- Track where your cat goes and when they return
- ALWAYS use this or something like it when RV camping with your cats and/or setting up the Petsafe system away from the home they learned it on.
- Works on both Android and iOS phones
- Excellent customer service team for non-tech savvy users
- Uses GPS so it remains accurate even when your cat is miles away (other trackers require a connection to a local device)
- Battery – lasts a good 6 days which is both good and bad. It’s great for short trips but bad when used at home as you have to remember to recharge regularly. I set a calendar reminder to recharge every Wednesday and Sunday
- Adds great peace of mind for indoor-outdoor cats that use pet doors
- A $5 monthly subscription required
- No fence system – tracking only for escaped or lost cats
- Will not work on your phone while camping if you don’t have a signal
Types of E-Fences For Cats
The term “invisible fence” has become a catch-all that describes a variety of containment systems for cats.
these systems are the most popular and don’t require any digging or installation. They use radio frequencies to create an invisible barrier around your yard, which your cat will be unable to cross.
This type of fence requires you to install a wire around the perimeter of your yard. Once it is connected to a transmitter, your cat will receive a mild correction if they try to cross the boundary.
These systems are designed specifically to keep cats confined indoors. They use motion sensors and sound alerts to create an invisible barrier that your cat won’t be able to cross.
These systems use GPS technology to track your cat’s location and provide alerts if they wander too far from home.
Now that you know the basics of each type, let’s go over some of the key features to look for when choosing a fence for your cat.
How to Choose the Best Fence System for Your Cat
Knowing what to look for in a cat fence is only half the battle; you also need to take into consideration your cat’s individual needs when choosing a system.
When buying an e-fence, consider your cat’s age and health, as well as its size and behavior. If you have a big yard and a large, active cat that loves to explore, then a larger coverage area will be necessary.
Older or less active cats may not need as much range, but they still need protection from predators and other dangers.
Here’s our quick breakdown of when to use wireless vs in-ground vs indoor vs a GPS-based fence:
Wireless Fences – Good for cats that spend most of their time outdoors, these systems cover a large area and are easy to install.
In-Ground Fences – Great for yards with irregular shapes or slopes, these systems require some digging but provide reliable protection from predators.
Indoor Fences – Perfect for small spaces like apartments, these systems are designed to keep cats away from dangerous areas without limiting their freedom.
GPS Trackers – These devices make it easy to track your cat’s whereabouts in the event they get lost or wander away.
How to Train Your Cat on a Wireless Fence System
Training your cat on a wireless fence system can take some patience and time. Start by keeping them on a leash and introducing your cat to the boundary area slowly and gradually expanding the coverage area until they are comfortable with it.
Use the included boundary flags to create an imaginary line that your cat can see that matches the edge of the wireless fence. You’ll need to line that up using the collar on your wrist to make sure the flags are placed correctly.
Next, introduce the correction signal. Start with the lowest tone setting and take them toward the boundary.
When their tone goes off use the leash to bring them back to you and immediately reward them with a treat.
If needed increase the static correction from tone only to vibration. The trick is not to punish your cat but for them to see the tone, vibration, or static correction as a trigger for the habit you want – for them to go back in the yard.
It’s also important to consistently monitor your cat’s behavior and look for signs of stress or anxiety, as this can indicate that they are uncomfortable with the system.
Finally, be sure to check the batteries regularly and test the system often to make sure it is functioning properly.
Watch this video to see it in action.
Are Wireless Fences Humane?
Yes, these fences are considered humane if used correctly. Many pet owners find that these systems help keep their cats safe and secure without having to confine them indoors or build a physical fence around their property.
Can Cats Wear E-Fence Collars?
Most cats can wear an e-fence collar without any issues. However, it’s important to make sure that the collar fits properly and is adjusted correctly for your cat’s size and weight.
Are Wireless Cat Fences Effective?
Yes, these fences can be highly effective if installed and used properly. When choosing a system, make sure you purchase one with a reliable range and durability to ensure it works as intended in all scenarios.
Do Invisible Fences Work on Cats?
Yes, invisible fences can be used on cats as long as they wear a special collar. However, it’s important to check the manufacturer’s instructions to make sure the system is suitable for your cat’s size and weight.
Our top pick for the best invisible fence for cats is the PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Pet Fence. This reliable system offers plenty of coverage, easy installation, and a warranty that lasts up to three years.
If you’re looking for an in-ground system, then consider the PetSafe Classic In-Ground Fence for Dogs and Cats. It’s designed to fit irregularly shaped yards and is built to last.
For cats that spend most of their time indoors, the PetSafe Pawz Away Threshold Indoor Pet Barrier offers reliable protection without limiting their freedom.
Finally, if you’re looking for a GPS tracker, then consider either the Tractive GPS or Airtag for Cats. Both devices provide peace of mind, allowing you to keep track of your cat’s whereabouts at all times.
Whichever system you choose, make sure it meets your cat’s needs and provides a safe and secure environment for them to enjoy.
My name is Danny Jackson and I’m the CEO and Chief Editor behind Petloverguy.com. After spending a decade working with vets and private clients as an animal behavioral and nutritional specialist I co-founded Pet Lover Guy to help other pet parents learn how to interact with, and make the most of the time that they spend with their adopted and rescued best pet friends.
Working with Ella, our chihuahua rescue, we seek to help all dog and cat lovers have the happiest life possible.