The best animals to breed for profit are dogs, cats, chickens, turkeys and bees. While there are many others, these are some of the easiest to handle. But, understand you will not get rich by breeding animals unless you do it irresponsibly. Therefore, breeding animals is best for those who love animals more than money.
Whichever animal you choose to start with, make sure it’s something you have experience caring for. This includes having enough room and space along with food, water and bedding. Also, before you begin, make sure you understand what the best and healthiest practices are for breeders of your preferred animal.
Overview of Animals to Breed
- Dogs – earn from as little as $250 to more than $5,000 depending on the pedigree
- Cats – sell for $25 to as much as $125,000
- Chickens – dozen eggs start around $2.50 to $6 per pound of meat
- Turkeys – eggs and meat range between $2.50 to $15
- Bees – selling honey and honeycombs along with renting hives can range between $5 and $25.
Dogs are a popular and common animal for people to breed since there is always a family or single adult in search of canine companions for hunting, security, guardianship, companionship, racing, weightlifting or escorting the disabled.
It’s imperative to have space separate from the regular household. The size and scope of it will impinge on your breeding program and how big you want to do things. Newcomers should start small until they get a feel for their process. Also, develop a good relationship with a vet to help your operation.
The earning potential will largely depend on the dog’s pedigree. Some states may require you to have a kennel license too. Remember, there will be some expenses to deduct from whatever you end up charging.
- Boston Terrier: You can make about $1,200 on average per dog but it can range between $350 and $3,000 or more.
- Chihuahua: Chihuahua fetch around $800 per dog but this can vary greatly. Breeders earn anywhere in the ballpark of $250 to as much as $2,500 per dog.
- Labrador Retriever: Because Labs are such a sought after family dog, you can earn anywhere from $300 to $1,000 per dog.
- English Bulldog: These adorable little canines can cost anywhere from $2,000 to $4,000 each.
- German Shepherd: A very desirable dog for many jobs, tasks and duties, you can sell a German Shepherd for $1,500 to $7,500.
- Samoyed: A top-dollar and highly desired canine, Samoyeds earn anywhere from $4,000 to $11,000 per dog.
- Pitbull: The average American or English pitbull will earn about $1,500 per dog. But, as with all pedigrees, it can range between $750 and $3,000.
- Siberian Husky: Typically, you can make around $1,300 per dog. But, this can range from as little as $800 to $3,000.
- Rottweiler: A classic dog for guardianship detail and companionship, Rottweilers can sell for anywhere from $2,000 to $8,000.
- Yorkshire Terrier: Yorkie puppies can sell for anywhere from $400 to $500.
Cats are one of the easier animals to breed. They don’t require a lot of space and sell easily while they’re kittens. The great thing is most people are suckers for cats. So, when they see that sweet little furry face and heartbreaking mew, they’ll get the cat (most times, even if they don’t want to).
However, there are certain feline breeds and types that are more desirable than others. For instance, some people intentionally want a calico or tortoiseshell. These are happenstance accidents due to genetics and can sell them for as much as $1,000.
Breeds like Persians, Russian Blues or Sphinxes can earn you $3,000 or more. There are even pricier breeds than that, with the snow-leopard looking Ashera, which can sell for more than $125,000 each.
Another animal that’s easy to care for is turkeys. They’re highly desirable when organic and free range. Turkeys are ideal because they don’t need a lot of land and they don’t necessarily require you to feed them. They earn a lot of money, especially around the holidays.
FREE Training… Is your dog easily distracted? Do they sometimes ignore your commands? If so you need to try the Airplane Game to quickly get their attention no matter what’s distracting them. Click to get this FREE 5-min training NOW!
You can earn $3 to $15 per pound of a whole bird while their eggs fetch about $2.50 to $5.00 per egg.
Chickens are easy and some of the most popular to raise since they can serve many purposes. They provide eggs, meat, feathers and a means of pest control. You’ll need about four square feet per chicken for a coup with some extra outdoor grazing space with shelter. There should also be an area for laying eggs.
What’s good about raising chickens is that their food needs are low; you don’t have to go out of your way to buy feed. They’ll eat just about anything like grass, weeds and bugs. However, a nice mix of corn and grain will be good for nutritional balance.
On average, you can make up to $5 per dozen eggs and around $3 to $6 per pound of meat. This is on the higher end of the spectrum for organic and free range. The average amount you can earn will be less if you don’t go that route.
Believe it or not, of all the animals you can raise, bees are the easiest. Honeybees are king in this regard since they don’t need daily attention, maintenance, care, feeding or anything like that. The only thing that’s expensive at first is getting the equipment for them to build their honeycomb.
Then, you also want to invest in a beekeeper suit so they don’t sting you when you do handle their honey. But, honey is always in demand. Once you setup your their potential hive, put in some sugar water and they’ll stay there for years. One gallon of pure honey can earn $5.00. Honeycombs themselves can sell for $20 per pound.
But, farmers, homesteaders and gardeners need help pollinating their crops and will rent hives for this purpose. You can charge as much as $25 per hive.