Dog Ate Halloween Candy: Vet Time? (Solved & Explained!)

Halloween is a great season of fun for the whole family: unfortunately, if your dog believes that this includes them and swallows a few treats, you may be wondering what to do if your dog ate Halloween candy?

Since most sweets and candy are toxic to dogs, you should call your vet immediately. Steps may need to be taken by veterinary professionals to remove the candy from your dog’s digestive system.

It sounds like your dog’s choice to snack on Halloween candy may be the scariest thing to happen to your family during the holiday! However, there’s no reason to panic: in this article, we’ll cover what to do if your dog ate Halloween candy, why it is dangerous for your pooch, and how long it may take to remove the toxic material from their system.

What To Do If Your Dog Ate Halloween Candy

Dogs have a refined sense of smell and an impulsive drive to eat anything that smells like it might be tasty…or interesting! Because of this, candy that you’ve brought home, whether it’s from a neighbor’s porch or a grocery store, is a big temptation for your furry friend.

With that being said, if your dog does eat Halloween candy, here are some steps you should follow:

  1. Call Your Local Vet 
  2. Find Out What Kind of Candy Was Eaten 
  3. Make Your Dog Vomit 

Let’s take a closer look at these steps to help your pooch get over their bad Halloween snack decision!

1.   Call Your Local Vet

If your dog has eaten anything that may be harmful or out of their ordinary diet, including candy, call your veterinary practitioner! It’s better to be safe than sorry, and if your pup has a doctor they see regularly, you might be able to get personal advice on whether or not the situation is an emergency.

2.   Find Out What Kind of Candy Was Eaten

If your dog ate anything containing the artificial sweetener “xylitol,” they are in danger of extreme health decline. It’s also a good idea to grab the wrapper of whatever kind of candy you believe they ate and bring it to your vet. This way, the vet can help you see how serious the situation may be.

3.   Make Your Dog Vomit

It may sound gross and not very nice, but one of the fastest ways to help your dog is to make them throw it back up! Check with your vet first, even if it’s just over the phone, to be sure your pooch can handle being forced to throw up.

VIDEO Reveals… Does Your Dog Have Bad Breath? If so they could be on the path to other problems. Find out if your dog has a problem and see a 5 second daily ritual you can do to stop it. Click to watch this FREE video NOW!

Hydrogen peroxide 3-percent solution will make a dog vomit. The process of emptying their stomach can take a dog up to 45 minutes, so patience and lots of cleaning supplies are the key! Give your dog one teaspoon of the hydrogen solution per five pounds of their body weight. 

Here are a few things you should be aware of if you’re considering causing your pup to throw up:

  • Do not make your dog vomit if they are a Pug, Pekingese, English Bulldog, or have any difficulty breathing.
  • Do not make your dog vomit if they’re already vomiting.
  • Do not make your dog vomit if they have seizures, are hyperactive, or have recently had any surgery.
  • Do not try to make your dog vomit up anything metal, corrosive, sharp, or medical.
  • Don’t leave your pooch alone while they are vomiting; some dogs have no problem eating things they’ve thrown up! 
  • Do not bother making your dog vomit if they hate the candy more than two hours ago.

If this method fails, go back to step one and call your vet!

Why Halloween Candy Is Dangerous For Dogs

Maybe your dog swallowed a piece of candy that was so small, and they seem to be acting fine. You may be wondering, why is Halloween candy dangerous for dogs?

The main villain in Halloween candy that can harm your canine is that artificial sweetener, xylitol. Xylitol is used in both sugar-free and sugary candies, including Airheads, Juicy Fruit, and many types of chewing gum and breath mints.

Xylitol is extremely toxic to our furry friends. It tends to wreak havoc on a dog’s liver, even leading to liver disease. Essentially, the amount of xylitol in one Halloween candy can act as a poison which leads to a dog collapsing or experiencing seizures, or in extreme cases, death.

Usually, a dog who survives ingesting xylitol is affected by hypoglycemia or an irregular blood sugar level. Only therapy, usually provided by your friendly neighborhood vet, can help.

Another danger of dogs eating Halloween candy comes from hard candy brands. Jawbreakers, Jolly Ranchers, and even Nerds can clog a dog’s digestive tract and make it difficult for them to poop.

Wrappers are the last dangerous element of eating Halloween candy for canines. The dog’s digestive system is not equipped to break down the material that candy wrappers are made from. Therefore, the wrappers can get stuck in the pet’s stomach if not their throat, and result in surgical removal. Not only that, but wrappers made from foil can irritate your pup’s bowels.

VIDEO Reveals… Does Your Dog Have Bad Breath? If so they could be on the path to other problems. Find out if your dog has a problem and see a 5 second daily ritual you can do to stop it. Click to watch this FREE video NOW!

These are a few of the reasons why you should take action immediately if you suspect that your dog decided to join in on the Halloween festivities by eating forbidden candy!

How Long Does It Take For A Dog To Pass A Candy Wrapper?

If your dog has swallowed a candy wrapper, you may be anxious to know whether or not your dog can pass it through their body safely, or if they need it surgically removed.

A dog with a healthy digestive system will process what they’ve eaten after three to five days. If your furry friend has eaten a large wrapper, however, it can become stuck inside the pet and result in a lot of discomfort and harm. For example, your pooch might wind up being unable to poop, or they may spend a lot of time vomiting and nauseous thanks to the stuck wrapper’s effects. If this is the case, take your dog to the vet and see what the professionals have to say.

Final Thoughts

If your dog eats Halloween candy, call your vet right away! If you aren’t able to go to the vet, consider your dog’s health and a phone call from the vet before trying to make the dog vomit on your own. 

Between the chemicals in candy, the difficulty your dog may have digesting food it wasn’t made to process, and the dangers of candy wrappers, it is always a good idea to take action if your pup eats Halloween candy!