There’s more than one reason why you might want an alternative for your dog crate tray. The first is that crate trays are usually made of metal or plastic, which can be irritating for your dog.
Another reason is that a metal tray would be cold in winter. Finally, if that tray has sharp edges, it wouldn’t be safe for your dog.
So, if you’re letting go of the tray for any of those reasons, or any other reason of your own, what are your options?
We have 7 dog crate tray alternative ideas that you may choose between.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
Potty pads are used for dogs with incontinence issues or during potty training. Still, there’s no reason you can’t use the reusable ones as a crate tray alternative.
The option we have is the Rocket & Rex dog pads. The pack comes with 4 pads, each measures 30 x 36 inches, and they work for many things. They’re absorbent and contain odors well.
Aside from their main function as potty pads, you can use them as bowl pads to place food and water.
Using them as an alternative for the crate tray is a safe option since they’ll absorb any mess or odors. You can always throw them in the washing machine to re-use them later.
In addition to all that, the pads are not expensive, and they’re eco-friendly.
Crate mats are suitable for different places. You can easily use them on the floor, in the car, or as a crate tray alternative.
- Cat Crate or Dog Crate Bed: Soft pet mat is Sized to fit into crates for all breeds. Look no further than this plush, Durable and high quality crate and nap mat to make your pet happy
- Warm & Cozy: This plush mat is used for comfort during napping or just relaxing. Made of a soft fleece fabric on both sides, with a stitched center in order to keep the stuffing in place
- Versatile Use: A fluffy cat bed or a dog mat for crate. It also helps to keep the surfaces of your home clean. Use it on your couch, on the ground or in the back of your car
- Washer & Dryer Safe: Easy to keep clean, this washable dog mat will make the upkeep a breeze. Dog kennel beds are available in a variety of sizes and colors, just choose your favorite
- Pet Supplies for Furry Friends: We are pet owners first and business owners second, making our own products and standing behind them
What’s great about these mats is the versatility. The company offers different sizes from x-small to x-large, so you know you’ll be able to find the size that fits in the crate. You also get to choose between 5 colors, so it’s aesthetically pleasing too.
The mat is made of fleece. It’s soft and comfy with stitches around the center, to keep the filling still. You can easily place it in the crate and let your dog enjoy their time.
The thickness of this mat is 1.5 inches, which seems to be a lot. However, it’s flat. So if your dog is a chewer, things won’t get messy.
It’s easy to use and maintain since it’s machine washable, and it can be rolled up and taken anywhere.
The smallest size of this mat is 21 x 14 inches, while the biggest is 55 x 39 inches. There are 4 different sizes in between. The variety of sizes can make it a convenient option if you have a big dog, like a mastiff or a german shepherd.
This mat has an anti-slip bottom so you can make sure it stays in place. It’s also machine washable.
Speaking of comfort, the mat is padded with PP cotton and covered in fleece with stitches to keep the cotton in place. It’s soft on your dog’s vertebra. The liner is breathable, and all the material is non-toxic, as it’s baby-skin-protection grade material.
- Size:22*13" Thickness:Approx.1",Easy to Clean,Washing Machine Fine,Very Comfortable
- For use with Crates, or as a stand alone bed, Easy to Clean
- Material: Polyester,Fill material:Polyester,Very Comfortable,Double Sided Available
- Ideal for Use in Crates, Carriers, Dog Houses, Vehicles
This pad is available in 3 sizes; 24 x 18, 30 x 19, and 36 x 23 inches. It’s made of fleece and cotton for your dog’s comfort.
It’s machine washable. It’s padded, up to 1 inch of thickness, so it’s not that thick. After all, it functions as a mat, not a bed.
It’s not chew-proof. However, it’s designed in a way that doesn’t encourage chewing. It’s soft and can be used on both sides.
A dog bed is normally thicker than a mat. It’ll make your dog more comfortable.
- Pet bed fits 18-inch long dog crates & works great as a stand-alone pet bed | Pet bed is ideal for "Tiny" dog breeds weighing up to 6 pounds | *Pet bed is not ideal for excessive chewers
- TURN YOUR DOG'S CRATE INTO THEIR FOREVER HOME! | The elastic corner straps secure the pet bed to the crate pan to prevent sliding and bunch enticing your pet to use their crate.
- Pet bed features ultra-soft fleece top & comfortable padded polyester bolster cushion around the perimeter for dogs to lay their head on
- Ideal pet bed for folding metal dog crates, dog carriers, cat carriers & dog houses | This specific size fits a MidWest 18-inch iCrate dog crate
- EASY MAINTENANCE PET BED | 100 % machine washable & dryer friendly w/ a 1- Year MIDWEST QUALITY GUARENTEE Manufacturer's Warranty
Everything about this bed says comfy. From the cushioned poly/cotton base with detailed stitches to the polyester-filled bolster and the soft sheepskin fleece top. It has thicker edges for extra comfort.
The bolster can work as a cushion, and it can also protect your dog from the bars of the crate. It’s thick, but you can fold it for trips.
It comes in different lengths, from 18 inches to 54 inches. The mat can be washed and dries easily in the machine. It’s durable with a 1-year warranty. It’s pretty affordable too.
However, if your dog is a heavy chewer, then I won’t recommend this one.
- 4" thick dog bed is made of 2" of conforming memory foam and 2" of high density support foam
- Zippered cover can be easily removed and is washer/dryer safe
- Waterproof layer beneath the cover protects memory foam from messes
- Durable from everyday wear and tear, soft fabric and non-slip bottom; Please note this product is not designed to be chew-proof
This bed comes in small, medium, or large. It has a waterproof layer under the cover for more support, and the cover can be removed and washed in the machine.
Furthermore, the bed has a 3-year warranty. It’s a 4-inch thick foam bed for extra durability and comfiness. It’s a bit expensive, though. This might be because of the good quality it offers.
The bed’s material is breathable and designed to relieve pain in your dog’s joints. It’s also tear-resistant, so it’ll last longer than other beds.
No products found.
Last but not least is this fluffy bed. The fabric is cushion-like, and it should keep your dog warm. Sizes vary from small to x-large.
If you want comfort and safety at the same time, then this bed is what you should go for. It’s made of hypoallergenic and soft material. It’s all velvet and PP cotton.
The base has anti-slip dots to keep the bed still, and you can wash and dry it in the machine. In addition to that, it adjusts to your dog’s position, which can give him more comfort while sleeping, resting, or playing.
It has a durable design, yet, it’s not suitable for heavy chewers.
If coziness is the main feature you’re looking for, then you should go for beds, and if you need a hassle-free alternative, then potty pads would do just fine.
If you’re looking for coziness and a material that doesn’t encourage chewing, opt for bed mats.
Your dog makes your life lighter, the least you can offer is a cozy, safe, and soft dog crate alternative for him to curl on.
My name is Ken and I’m one of the staff writers at Petloverguy.com. I’ve cared for pets most of my life starting with hamsters, turtles, and snakes. Then moving up to parakeets, guinea pigs, and even ducks.
I currently live with two yorkies and a chihuahua mix.