Is My Dog’s Bread Binge Cause for Concern?

What If My Dog Ate A Loaf Of Bread?

Despite their innocent and curious appearance, dogs can get into some troublesome situations. A common issue for pet owners is finding out that their beloved pup has eaten something it shouldn’t have.

Sure, the occasional edible item won’t cause much harm, but when your canine pal digs its way through a full loaf of bread, there could be serious consequences! Knowing what to do in such an emergency can ensure you and your pooch are safe and healthy.

This blog post will explore all the possibilities of what could happen if your dog ate a loaf of bread – from the best-case scenarios to more severe outcomes – so keep reading!

bread gac8843613 640

Check For These Signs

Most dogs won’t show any symptoms at all besides possibly bloating. Bread isn’t exactly something you want to feed your dog regularly, but a dog who accidentally eats a loaf of white, wheat, or rye bread might be able to digest it naturally.

Dogs aren’t supposed to have too many carbohydrates, which bread is rich in. That’s why they’ll usually get bloated or experience strong gas after eating a whole loaf of bread.

After some time, your dog should be able to pass their gas and be done with any problems related to the bread. However, you’ll want to watch out for any more serious symptoms, especially if you have a smaller dog.

If you know the type of bread your dog ate, check the ingredients list. Onions, raisins, xylitol, and several artificial bread dough conditioners may be toxic to most dogs. These are commonly found in specialty bread, and they potentially kill a dog if they’re eaten in a large enough amount.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

Potential Problems

In most cases, won’t develop any major problems and shouldn’t show symptoms for more than a day. Any of the following signs, however, should be treated as a serious issue:

  • Purging: Dogs who’ve eaten bread with raisins or onions in it might start to vomit uncontrollably

  • Heavy breathing: Garlic bread can cause shock in some dog breeds, which usually starts with labored breathing

  • Abdominal pain: Some dogs might be so sore that you can’t touch them or they might retreat to a corner and whine

  • Intoxication: Yeasty bread can turn to alcohol in dog’s digestive track and make them tipsy

  • Shaking: Xylitol is poisonous to dogs, and it can make them shake or shiver

  • Fever: A dry, warm nose is the first sign of fever in dogs

  • Brightly Colored Stool: This is a sign that your dog may have ingested bread or cake that has artificial dye in it

You’ll also want to pay close attention to your dog’s stool to see if it has any bits of plastic or other inorganic material. This may suggest that your dog also ate part of the bread’s wrapper.

What to Do?

Observe your dog for a while and give him or her extra water. Sometimes dogs might not want to drink too much until they pass gas, while others might drink a lot of water to try and help things along.

Give your dog some extra attention if they seem uncomfortable, but don’t touch them if they’re bloated. In most cases, any negative symptoms shouldn’t last very long. Your dog might not have any ill effects from eating bread, especially if it is plain. Some dogs tolerate it remarkably well.

If you already know what kind of bread they ate, then you can figure out what was in it and whether any ingredients there could prove harmful to a dog. Otherwise, you’ll want to take the time to track down the rest of the loaf your dog was eating and find out if there was anything harmful in it.

Do I Need to See the Vet or Go to the Emergency Animal Hospital?

Dogs who ate plain bread may not have to be taken anywhere, but you’ll certainly want to take your dog to the vet’s office if he or she consumed bread with onions. The same goes for any dog that consumes bread with raisins or other foreign material.

Watch your dog for any sign of shakes, shivers, or even behavior that seems like they might be intoxicated. This could signify your dog going into shock, which might mean you’ll want to take them to an emergency animal hospital if you live in an area where there is one.

Strange behaviors could also signify having consumed yeast-laden bread, an emergency. This kind of bread can produce alcohol in a dog’s intestines, which has the effect of getting them drunk to a certain degree.

Safe Alternatives to Eat

While you shouldn’t give it to them often, plain bread usually doesn’t cause many problems for dogs. If your dog wants something like this, you might want to consider doggie treats that are bread-like in texture.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

Consider giving your dog some homemade-style dog treats, which should help to satisfy their taste for this kind of food. There are several businesses that you could get these kinds of treats from that are licensed and inspected, so their products are at least generally safe.

Meat-based treats meant for dogs are another good alternative, especially if you have a dog that’s sensitive to any grain and doesn’t feel right after eating it. Certain dog food types have grains, so you’ll want to be cautious when shopping for this animal.

Pet owners with very sensitive dogs may consider switching to natural dog food and eliminating all types of human food from their diet.

Can Dogs Eat Bread?

While dogs shouldn’t be given bread regularly, it usually doesn’t do much harm if they accidentally sneak a loaf or eat something you dropped on the floor. However, they shouldn’t eat any style of bread that contains onions or an added sweetener. If the dog eats raisin bread, it might be toxic.

There are a few situations where giving your plain dog bread might be a good idea. Veterinarian Jennifer Coates opined that a piece of natural bread with nothing on it could help to settle a dog’s stomach and even help them pass objects like string or yarn.

Breeders from the AKC and several veterinary organizations have recommended giving dogs plain white or wheat bread if they accidentally swallow something sharp. A piece of bread could encase the foreign material so that they don’t develop an ulcer from one.

Nevertheless, you’ll want to talk to a veterinary expert in these cases. Avoid giving your dog bread in any quantity otherwise since there is a high risk of them getting gas from it. If the dog ate a loaf, you don’t have to worry.


In conclusion, eating bread isn’t a serious health concern for pets. If your dog ate bread, the most likely result is an upset stomach, which should pass without further complication.

There’s no need to worry that your pet will suffer any long-term harm from eating bread – unless they’ve ingested something else along with it that could be toxic.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

A small indulgence like bread can be perfectly fine in moderation and even have benefits if given occasionally as a treat. Just ensure that you give it to your pet safely and in an appropriate amount so they can enjoy their snack without any consequence.

And remember, if you have any doubts or questions about what food is safe for your pet, do not hesitate to contact your veterinarian – they are always the best source for expert advice!