My Dog Ate Mushrooms: What Now? (Solved & Explained!)

It’s safe to say that some dogs will eat just about anything. Our furry friends, like us, enjoy a bit of variety in their diet, but what happens if your dog ate mushroom pieces or whole mushrooms? Is that safe?

According to veterinarians such as Dr. Justine A. Lee, DVM and DACVECC, grocery mushrooms will typically be safe, but with wild mushrooms that is another matter altogether. If your dog happens to eat some while you’re out on a walk, then you’ll need to get the vet involved immediately as they might well be toxic (and try to bring some of that mushroom for identification with you).  

We see mushrooms all of the time when we take out little (or not so little) ones out on walks, so this is a topic that we should definitely expand on. Read on for important information that you need to know when it comes to mushrooms and your dog!

Are grocery mushrooms okay for dogs?

The good news when it comes to mushrooms is that the variety you get in grocery stores should generally be safe for your dog to eat. Wild mushrooms are the wild cards, after all, but as your dog has a very different physiology, we thought it would be prudent to tell you some specific types that we know are safe.

The following types of mushrooms are considered to be safe for dogs:

  • Cremini
  • Maitake
  • Porcini
  • Portobello
  • Shitake
  • White Button mushrooms

If you are eating a meal with these mushrooms as part of the ingredients or enjoying them on their own, then you can certainly share a little with your dog. Just be sure to keep an eye on them during walks, however, as feeding your dog mushrooms at home is going to familiarize them with their scent.

While it’s not guaranteed, this might lead to your dog checking out mushrooms outside, so it might be best to skip the sharing altogether when it comes to mushrooms – just to be on the safe side.

What happens if my dog eats a wild mushroom?

Wild mushrooms are definitely a gamble. For instance, in China, out of 1500 species of mushroom 1020 are edible, but 480 are considered to be quite toxic, but ultimately the types of mushrooms and percentage of toxic varieties are going to vary a lot from state to state if you live in the U.S..

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

 There are at least 100 mushrooms that you can find which will be very toxic for your dog, though if your dog gets in to some outside and you still see a few present, you can look for things like brown or tan gills on the mushrooms and brown, tan, or white caps.

If you see these, then you may have gotten lucky this time, but pick them up to bring with you to the vet to be sure. Your dog should never be allowed to simply gobble up wild mushrooms, as the potential toxicity is simply too high a risk.

How much of a mushroom does a dog have to eat to get sick?

Even 1 or 2 mushrooms can be 1 or 2 too many, and symptoms may occur as early as 15 minutes after consumption, or could even take a couple of days.

Remember, your dog’s physiology is quite a bit different from your own, and ingested toxins are often going to be reabsorbed in the intestines and they’ll ‘get another go’ at circulating through your dog’s body, doing damage the whole way.

It’s best on the side of safety with mushrooms and your dog’s health. If there are some mushrooms still there, go ahead and carefully pick them up with gloves or another medium to prevent you from actually touching the mushroom. Store them in a plastic bag, seal it up, and bring it with you to the vet.

Most poisonous mushrooms will present white gills, red caps, or even red stems, but not all of them are easily identifiable, so if you can bring a sampling in then that’s going to help the vet immensely in treating any potential toxicity from the ingestion of the mushrooms.

Can a dog recover from mushroom poisoning?

With very mild cases, your dog may well recover within 6 hours or they might have symptoms such as dilated pupils and lethargy for up to 24 hours. Even so, it’s still best to get the vet involved, as there is no way of knowing exactly how toxic the mushrooms your dog ingested really are.

Your vet treatment for this condition will depend on how quickly you were able to get your dog to the vet’s office, though an IV drip and a number of different tests will definitely be part of it.

If the ingestion was very recent, induced vomiting may be an option (which you should not do at home without vet recommendation), and often activated charcoal is used in order to bind with the poisons to help them safely pass out of the body. It will really depend on the type of mushroom, when you get down to it.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

Nephrotoxic mushrooms, for instance, can take 3 to 8 days to show that they are still in the system while quietly doing internal damage the whole time that they are present. As such, the important thing is to get the vet involved NOW so that the treatment will be at its most effective.

In closing

In this article we’ve explored what to do if your dog ate mushroom pieces or whole mushrooms. With the grocery variety, your dog should be fine, but wild mushrooms are simply too unpredictable to be trifled with.

If your dog manages to eat some of these while you are out on a walk or if you find evidence in the yard of mushrooms that your dog may have ingested, then you need to get the vet involved right away.

Thankfully, mushrooms are statistically more likely to be edible than the reverse, but you’ll need to see the vet anyway in order to be sure. It’s the most practical and the safest option and the best way to make sure that your furry best friend is going to be okay!