Toy poodles are one of the most popular breeds in America, and it is no surprise why. They’re small enough to fit into your purse but still big enough to be a loyal companion for years.
But with so many different dog foods on the market, what is the best food? What should you look for when buying dog food? This blog post will answer all those questions and more!
Note: If you click some of the links or pictures in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Our Top Choices
- Top Pick Dry Foods
- Top Pick Wet Food
- Best for Puppies
- Best Royal Canin Dog Food
- Toy Poodle Homemade Food Recipe
- Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Dog Food
- Why You Should Trust Petloverguy
- How Much Should a Toy Poodle Eat?
- Is Cesar Dog Food Good?
- Is it Cruel to Feed Them Once a Day?
- What Human Food Can They Eat?
- What Can These Dogs Not Eat?
Our Top Choices
Top Pick Dry Foods
Hill’s Science Diet takes the spot as top pick for dry foods because it’s veterinarian recommended and natural. Pet owners that are worried about the kind of food their dog is eating can have their worries assured with this food.
It’s made in the United States which means it’s fresher than international dog food. The food is made up of prebiotic fiber which helps strengthen your dog’s digestive system. It’s gentle on their stomach which allows them to eat it without throwing it back up.
The food is also rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Vitamin E. That helps keep their coat and skin healthy. If your dog suffers from skin allergies, then this dog food may be a great pick for you.
- This dry dog food uses prebiotic fiber to feed your small dog's microbiome for optimal digestive health
- Vitamin E, omega 6 fatty acids and other nutrients in smaller kibble help nourish skin & promote a lustrous coat
- Dog food formulated with little dogs in mind to provide an optimal balance of nutrients specifically for miniature and toy breed dogs. Calorie content: 3734 kcal/kg (392 kcal/cup)
- Precise balance and highly digestible ingredients for sensitive stomachs and for dogs with sensitive skin
- Made with natural ingredients
Check prices at Petco here.
- Sensitive food built for smaller breeds
- Works well for dogs with diabetes
- The food made my dog less greasy and smelly
- Contains chicken which can cause some allergies in dogs
Top Pick Wet Food
Cesar’s Simply Crafted takes the top pick for wet food for toy poodles.
Keeping ingredients simple is a dog owner’s dream. That’s what Cesar Simply Crafted offers. It contains only five main ingredients and all of them are natural. Along with beef or chicken, your pup will eat plenty of vegetables to get their nutrients.
One of the best aspects of this wet dog food is that it doesn’t contain fillers or additives. Your dog will eat the food and nothing else. This can help reduce allergies, improve their digestive health, and give them plenty of energy.
This particular wet dog food comes with 16 tubs of food. It’s perfect as a meal or to mix in with their regular food.
- Real Ingredients: Real chicken or beef is the #1 ingredient with real veggies
- Delicious Topper: Great-tasting complement you can mix in with your dog’s dry food, add as a topper, or give as a snack
- Great For Adult Dogs: No artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or fillers
- Easy to Use: Individual peel-back trays make mealtime flavorful and full of variety
- Tasty Addition: Made with six ingredients or less for a meal complement your dog will love
Check prices at Cesar’s here.
- Picky dogs love the taste of it
- Fresh and real ingredients
- Great for dogs with dental problems or missing teeth
- Too small as a meal on its own
Best for Puppies
The best puppy food for poodle puppies is the Royal Canin Poodle Caniche.
If you want to feed your puppy food that’s specifically made for its breed, then you need to buy Royal Canin Poodle Caniche. This dry dog food is specially made for purebred Poodle puppies. You know that every kibble has the right amount of nutrients and calories for a Poodle puppy to have and helps ensure they grow healthy and strong. (1)
Because it’s designed for Poodles, even the shape of the kibble is with them in mind. It’s designed to be picked up with ease by the unique shape of a Poodle’s mouth and teeth.
The food is packed full of EPA and DHA from fish oil that gives puppies the healthiest coat possible. It contains high-quality proteins and prebiotics to support digestive health and energy.
- FORMULATED FOR PUREBRED POODLES: Royal Canin Poodle Puppy Dry Dog Food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Poodles 8 weeks to 10 months old
- SPECIALIZED KIBBLE: Unique kibble design helps Poodles easily pick up and chew their food
- HEALTHY DEVELOPMENT: An exclusive complex of antioxidants, including vitamin E, helps support puppy development of the immune system
- SKIN AND COAT: EPA and DHA from fish oil promote healthy skin and coat to help nourish puppy’s developing curly coat
- OPTIMAL STOOL: Supports healthy digestion in puppies and promotes optimal stool quality with high-quality proteins and prebiotics
Check prices at Royal Canin here.
- Poodles love the taste of the food
- Encourages Toy Poodles to chew their food
- Helps Poodles grow strong and healthy
- The bag is rather small
Best Royal Canin Dog Food
For adult dogs, you’ll still love Royal Canin Poodle Caniche. This dog food is specifically designed to encourage standard poodles to chew through their food. This helps prevent them from throwing it back up due to upset stomachs.
It uses the right amount of EPA and DHA to give them healthy coats that shine. There’s also a specific amount of protein in each serving to give them the energy they need and provide plenty of protein to grow. It helps them develop and maintain their muscle tone.
The ingredients contain nutrients that are specifically used for standard poodles to help them grow into adult dogs and elder dogs. However, it will equally support toy versions through every phase of life.
- Royal Canin Poodle Adult dry dog food is designed to meet the nutritional needs of purebred Poodles 10 months and older
- Exclusive kibble design helps Poodles easily pick up and chew their food
- Helps maintain a Poodle’s coat health with EPA and DHA fatty acids from fish oil and precise protein levels to support continuously growing hair
- Supports a Poodle’s strong build with precise protein content to maintain muscle tone
- An exclusive blend of nutrients supports vitality and healthy aging during their long life span
- Rarely do they get sick eating this food
- Poodle coats feel incredible after eating this dog food
- Picky eaters love it
- Caused allergies in some dogs
Toy Poodle Homemade Food Recipe
This homemade food recipe will give your pup plenty of energy and digestive health.
You’ll need the following ingredients:
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 large apple that’s cored
- 2 carrots
- 1 cup of kale
- 1/2 cup of blueberries
- 1 cup rice
- 1.5 cups of water
To make the dish, you’ll want to start by putting the ground meats in a crockpot. Then peel and chop the potatoes, carrots, and apples into small enough pieces for your dog to chew.
Add the fruits and vegetables into the crockpot. Mix it.
Then cook the mixture on high for 5-7 hours. You know you’re done cooking when the meat is brown.
Before the meat is finished, cook the rice. You can cook it with water and place it on a stovetop for 20 minutes. The stovetop should be set on low. Once the rice is finished, you can pour it into the mixture in the crockpot.
Once the meat is done, you can portion it out into dishes or bags. Your pup is ready to eat.
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Dog Food
When it comes to choosing the best dog food for this breed, there are several factors to consider. First, you will want to look at the ingredients in your chosen kibble or wet food. Look for foods that contain high-quality proteins and healthy fats such as chicken, fish, turkey, lamb, or beef. Avoid foods that contain high amounts of grains, fillers, and by-products.
Secondly, you should make sure the food has an appropriate nutrient balance. This breed has higher energy needs than other breeds due to their small size, so look for a formula that contains more calories per cup than other breeds. Additionally, ensure the food contains enough calcium to support healthy bone and joint development.
Finally, you should ensure that your chosen dog food is formulated specifically for them. Some brands offer “all life stages” formulas which are not appropriate for this breed as they may contain too much fat and calories.
Why You Should Trust Petloverguy
At Petloverguy, we understand the importance of choosing the right dog food for your toy poodle. We have done extensive research on the best dog foods for this breed and can confidently recommend products that are both nutritious and delicious. Our team is committed to providing only high-quality information and resources, so you can trust us to give you the right advice. By utilizing our knowledge and expertise, you can make sure your dog is getting all the nutrition they need to stay healthy and happy. We are always available to answer any questions or provide further information. So if you have any concerns at all about feeding your dog, please do not hesitate to reach out here.
Are grain-free dog foods suitable for this breed?
Grain-free dog foods can be suitable as long as they contain high-quality proteins and healthy fats. However, you should read the ingredients label carefully to ensure it does not contain too much fat or calories.
How often should I feed my dog?
It is recommended to feed your dog two meals a day, of the appropriate portion size for their age and activity level. You should always follow the instructions on the label or seek advice from your veterinarian if you have any questions.
How can I tell if my dog is getting enough nutrients?
The best way to ensure your dog is getting enough nutrients from their food is to consult with your veterinarian and have regular check-ups. Additionally, you should look for signs of health such as a shiny coat, healthy skin, and bright eyes. If you notice any changes in your pet’s health or behavior, it is best to consult with your veterinarian.
What health issues are common?
They can be prone to certain health issues such as allergies, eye problems, and joint dysplasia. It is important to provide your pet with a balanced diet that contains the right nutrients to help support their overall health. Additionally, it is important to ensure they get regular exercise and check-ups with their veterinarian.
What Ingredients Can Be Harmful?
They should avoid foods that contain high amounts of grains, fillers, and by-products. Additionally, look for foods that are low in fat and calories as this can be harmful to small breeds. If you have any questions about the ingredients in a particular food, it is best to consult with your veterinarian.
How Much Should a Toy Poodle Eat?
Toy Poodles should eat two 1/2 cups of food a day. A little less is fine.
Is Cesar Dog Food Good?
Cesar dog food is ideal because it comes in small sizes. For many small dogs, Cesar is a meal or two meals in itself. You can also get it in a wet form which may make it easier for them to eat.
Is it Cruel to Feed Them Once a Day?
It isn’t cruel to feed your dog once a day if they can receive all of their nutrition in the meal. However, if they often whine because they’re hungry, then it may make them happier if you split their meals into two different meals.
It may also help with their digestion.
What Human Food Can They Eat?
They can eat carrots, white rice, apples, fish, chicken, certain dairy products in a small amounts, and popcorn in a small amounts.
You just need to make sure the portions are small enough for them to chew safely.
What Can These Dogs Not Eat?
They cannot eat chocolate, xylitol, grapes, macadamia nuts, or raisins, or drink alcohol. They’re all toxic and can seriously damage a dog’s body.
My name is Danny Jackson and I’m the CEO and Chief Editor behind Petloverguy.com. After spending a decade working with vets and private clients as an animal behavioral and nutritional specialist I co-founded Pet Lover Guy to help other pet parents learn how to interact with, and make the most of the time that they spend with their adopted and rescued best pet friends.
Working with Ella, our chihuahua rescue, we seek to help all dog and cat lovers have the happiest life possible.