Are you ready to bring home a Yorkie puppy? Or maybe you’re just curious about one of the smallest dogs in the world. Either way, we’ve got all your questions answered right here! We’ll cover topics like how big they are, their personality, and whether or not they bark.
Table of Contents
- What Should I Do When I First Get a Yorkie Puppy?
- How Do You Take Care of a Yorkie Puppy?
- What Should Yorkie Puppies Not Do?
- What Do I Need to Know About My Yorkie Puppy?
- What Is the Best Age to Get a Yorkie Puppy?
- How Often Should I Bathe My Yorkie Puppy?
- How Can I Tell If My Yorkie Puppy Is Purebred?
- How Do You Discipline a Yorkie for Biting?
- What Is the Best Way to Pick a Yorkie Puppy from a Litter?
- Do Yorkie Puppies Cry a Lot?
- Should I Let My Yorkie Puppy Sleep With Me?
- What Is the First Thing You Should Train Your Puppy?
- How Much Do Purebred Yorkie Puppies Cost?
- Why Does My Yorkie Puppy Bite Me All the Time?
- At What Age Do Yorkie Puppies Stop Biting?
- What Color Are Yorkie Puppies When They Are Born?
- Can Yorkie Puppies Be Left Alone?
- Are Yorkie Puppies Easy to Train?
What Should I Do When I First Get a Yorkie Puppy?
Here are the most important things that you should keep in mind when you first bring home your Yorkie puppy:
- Make sure they are properly weaned
- Make sure they have had their shots
- Get them a comfortable dog bed
- Get them plenty of chew toys for teething
- Begin their potty training
- Socialize them with other people and animals
How Do You Take Care of a Yorkie Puppy?
These are the most important tips to keep in mind when taking care of a Yorkie puppy:
- Give them plenty of love, affection, positive reinforcement, and chew toys
- Give them a comfy crate or dog bed to sleep in
- Don’t leave them alone for too long
- Socialize them with other people and other animals
- Begin their potty training as soon as possible
What Should Yorkie Puppies Not Do?
Yorkie puppies should never be fed the following foods:
- Macadamia nuts
- Chicken bones
- Fruit pits
What Do I Need to Know About My Yorkie Puppy?
You need to know that they are babies and require a great deal of attention, care, and love. It will be up to you to take on the role of parent and teacher. You’ll need to get them house trained. You’ll need to teach them how to act around other people as well as other animals. They have a lot to learn.
What Is the Best Age to Get a Yorkie Puppy?
The Yorkie puppy that you choose should be over 10 to 12 weeks old. At this time, they will be properly weaned and ready to start learning and exploring the world on their own.
How Often Should I Bathe My Yorkie Puppy?
Yorkie puppies should be bathed once every 2 to 4 weeks. This will keep their skin healthy while not causing them to lose their natural defensive skin oil.
How Can I Tell If My Yorkie Puppy Is Purebred?
You need to have papers from a reputable breeder that certify that the puppy you have bought is purebred. A purebred Yorkie puppy will be born with black and tan colors, which will then change over time. Also, a purebred Yorkie has a gene that makes its black hair turn blue as it gets older.
How Do You Discipline a Yorkie for Biting?
The best thing to do is exaggerate your response like a puppy would. Pull back your hand and yell, “No!” or “Ouch!” This will show your Yorkie that they have gone too far. They will eventually learn not to repeat this mistake.
What Is the Best Way to Pick a Yorkie Puppy from a Litter?
- Choose the one that is most active and most confident
- Choose the one that stands up straight and holds it tail up straight while wagging
- Choose the one with the healthiest fur, teeth, and eyes
- Choose the one that doesn’t display dominant behavior
- Choose only puppies that are over 12 weeks old and properly weaned
Do Yorkie Puppies Cry a Lot?
A Yorkie puppy may cry a lot during the first few weeks due to missing its Mama or its former home. This will abate after a while as they get used to their new home and surroundings.
Should I Let My Yorkie Puppy Sleep With Me?
You can let your Yorkie sleep with you as long as you take care to keep them safe. You can also give them a nice dog bed so that they can sleep alongside you at night.
What Is the First Thing You Should Train Your Puppy?
The first things that you should train your puppy to do are potty in the right place and don’t bite the hand that feeds. These are training essentials that will take some time for them to absorb, so be patient.
How Much Do Purebred Yorkie Puppies Cost?
Purebred puppies usually cost between $1,200 and $2,500. There may also be a non-refundable charge of $200 to $500 to place a “hold” on a puppy.
Why Does My Yorkie Puppy Bite Me All the Time?
Puppies are in the process of teething and are also very excitable. You will need to be very patient and loving as you train them not to bite.
At What Age Do Yorkie Puppies Stop Biting?
They will usually stop biting at about six to eight months of age. This is when they are in the full throes of teething. Make sure they have plenty of safe toys to chew on instead of your hands and feet.
What Color Are Yorkie Puppies When They Are Born?
Yorkie puppies are usually black and tan when born. These colors will change as they reach maturity.
Can Yorkie Puppies Be Left Alone?
You should not leave a Yorkie puppy alone for more than 2 or 3 hours. If you have to leave, make sure they are in a kennel with plenty of food, water, and toys. Exercise them a bit before you leave so they are tired and will sleep most of that time.
Are Yorkie Puppies Easy to Train?
Yorkies are very smart. They love to learn new things and are thus very easy to train. It helps to get them as young as possible so that you can begin right from the start.