Teacup Yorkies can eat what any other variety of Yorkshire Terrier can consume. Of course, the best source of food will be a quality dry kibble designed specifically for Yorkies or small dogs in general. However, they can also eat things like berries, fresh meats, yogurt, carrots, potatoes and peas, among others.
But every Teacup Yorkie is different and each will have individual dietary requirements, so first check with your vet. Plus, Yorkies tend to be a little picky when it comes to food. So, even though they can eat something, they may not like it on the outset. This means you’ll have to experiment a little.
Table of Contents
- What’s the Best Dry Kibble for a Teacup Yorkie?
- Which Fresh Veggies Can a Teacup Yorkie Eat?
- Which Fresh Fruits Can a Teacup Yorkie Eat?
- Can Teacup Yorkies Eat Fresh Meats & Other Proteins?
- Can Teacup Yorkies Eat Dairy?
- Which Foods Should Teacup Yorkies Avoid?
- What Should You Do if a Teacup Yorkie Eats Something It Shouldn’t?
- Can You Make DIY Doggie Recipes for a Teacup Yorkie?
- How Much Food Should a Teacup Yorkie Eat per Day?
- Do Teacup Yorkies Gain Weight Easily?
What’s the Best Dry Kibble for a Teacup Yorkie?
There are a lot of great dog food brands out there that provide a well-balanced and nutritious diet for your precious Teacup Yorkie. Of course, you should always check with your vet before starting your pooch on a new food. But, consider the following below to see if they’ll suit your canine companion:
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection for Small Breed Seniors: For the mature Yorkie in your life, this dry kibble food offers brown rice, barley, oatmeal, deboned chicken and chicken meal. Its design lends itself to helping your pup manage its weight by being low in fat and calories.
- Diamond Naturals Small Breed: Made with white rice, chicken fat, pearled barley, chicken and chicken meal, this dry kibble is perfect for both Yorkie puppies and adults. There’s no corn, soy or wheat which is good for pups with food intolerances.
- Hills Science Diet Small Paws: This grain-inclusive kibble is perfect for young Yorkies. It has whole wheat grains, sorghum, chicken meal, chicken fat and corn. But it has a low fat-to-protein ratio while giving puppy Yorkshire Terriers everything they need to grow happy and healthy.
- Royal Canin Yorkshire Terrier Puppy Food: Designed just for precious Yorkie puppies of all varieties, it contains brewer’s rice, corn, dried beet pulp, chicken by-product meal and chicken fat. It’s a little high in carbs, but for puppies, that will be necessary.
- Wellness Complete Health Small Breed: This dry kibble has two varieties for Yorkies: puppies and adults. But it has tons of protein, healthy fats and prime carbs. It provides all the nutrients your pup needs to keep up with its daily exuberance. It has things like deboned turkey, oatmeal, salmon meal, brown rice and chicken meal.
Which Fresh Veggies Can a Teacup Yorkie Eat?
Yorkies can eat a variety of vegetables safely and as often as you want to feed it. They have all the vitamins and minerals a Teacup Yorkie needs. So, it’s perfectly acceptable to either feed veggies raw as a treat, chop some up and mix it in with the kibble or prepare it in a doggie recipe.
- Green Beans
- Sweet Potatoes
Which Fresh Fruits Can a Teacup Yorkie Eat?
Just like veggies, Teacup Yorkies can eat a wide variety of fresh fruits. It’s just that if you choose to feed something like a stone fruit or one with lots of seeds, you have to remove them first before feeding them to your dog.
Can Teacup Yorkies Eat Fresh Meats & Other Proteins?
Yorkies should have fresh meat as part of their diet along with other proteins. Not only should they be chock full in the kibble, but you should also provide treats and some DIY recipes for them. Consider the following:
- Any kind of lean beef or lamb
- Any kind of chicken, minus the skin and bones
- Fish like anchovies, mackerel, menhaden, sardines, herring and salmon
- Eggs, cooked well without butter or oil
- Turkey, minus skin and bones
- Pork (not smoked, uncured and nothing processed)
Can Teacup Yorkies Eat Dairy?
Yorkies can have plain yogurt and small bits of cheese. However, these should be sparing and only given on occasion. This is because Yorkies, like most other dogs, are lactose intolerant and will experience severe problems in their gastrointestinal tract.
Which Foods Should Teacup Yorkies Avoid?
Never give a Teacup Yorkie, or any dog for that matter, the following foods below:
- Smoked Salmon
- Coconut Flesh
- Citrus Fruits
- Spicy & Hot Seasonings
- Salt & Pepper
- Garlic & Onions
- Xylitol (type of sweetener)
What Should You Do if a Teacup Yorkie Eats Something It Shouldn’t?
If your Teacup Yorkie ends up eating something it shouldn’t, it’s first important to remember to not get overly worried about it. The only case you should be seriously concerned is if they continually eat something they shouldn’t or they eat a massive amount in one sitting.
In this rare case, pay attention to your dog over the next day or two. If the dog starts vomiting, is nauseous, shows signs of dizziness, has irregular bowel movements or other abnormal behavior, call your vet right away.
Can You Make DIY Doggie Recipes for a Teacup Yorkie?
Yes, you can make DIY dog food recipes for your Teacup Yorkie if you want. But, their dry kibble should provide most of what they need. Just make sure you check the recipes with your vet first and change whatever ingredients you must to suit your Teacup Yorkie’s diet.
How Much Food Should a Teacup Yorkie Eat per Day?
A Teacup Yorkie shouldn’t eat more than ¼ to ½ cup per day, unless otherwise directed to eat more or less by a vet. Puppies shouldn’t eat more than ¼ cup spread out to three or four times each day. Mature Yorkies should eat twice per day.
Do Teacup Yorkies Gain Weight Easily?
Like all Yorkshire Terriers, Teacup Yorkies can gain a lot of weight easy and fast. Therefore, it’s imperative that you keep on top of your dog’s diet and make sure you only limit their intake to the prescribed amount; either the one above or according to your vet’s instructions.