It’s known pretty far and wide that chocolate is toxic to dogs. It’s no different for your Yorkie. If a Yorkie eats chocolate, it can get very sick, and it can even lead to heart failure, respiratory failure, coma, other major health complications, and even death. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and should be kept away from them at all costs.
There is plenty to know on the subject, and many reasons you should be careful with chocolate around dogs. Read on to find out everything you need to know about what happens if a Yorkie eats chocolate.
Table of Contents
- What happens if a Yorkie eats chocolate?
- Why is chocolate poisonous for dogs?
- What to do if your Yorkie eats chocolate?
- How much chocolate will hurt a Yorkie?
- How long would a Yorkie take to show signs of poisoning?
- Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in Yorkies
- How long will a Yorkie take to recover from chocolate poisoning
- Can chocolate poisoning be fatal?
- What other foods are toxic to dogs?
- Call your vet
What happens if a Yorkie eats chocolate?
As mentioned above, it’s extremely important to keep chocolate away from your dog. Many things can happen in your dog’s body if it eats chocolate. The most serious of which can be fatal complications such as heart failure, respiratory failure, and coma.
Less serious complications include vomiting, diarrhea, panting, restlessness, and excessive urination. These are still not good for your dog and should be treated with the utmost seriousness, as they can be precursors to the more serious issues outlined above.
Why is chocolate poisonous for dogs?
The reason chocolate is poisonous to dogs is that it is high in theobromine. Theobromine is a chemical that is poisonous for dogs because they are unable to metabolize it properly. This leads to the complications listed above, which are extremely serious issues that require immediate intervention.
What to do if your Yorkie eats chocolate?
If you’re certain or suspicious that your Yorkie has eaten chocolate, the first thing you should do is call your vet immediately. You can also call the pet poison helpline at (800)-213-6680 for advice.
It is often recommended to feed some hydrogen peroxide to your dog in order to induce vomiting. This should only be done very soon after your Yorkie has eaten the chocolate, as after it’s been digested it can’t be vomited up. Still, if you can cause your dog to vomit up the chocolate, you can avoid the serious and potentially fatal repercussions that come with chocolate poisoning.
How much chocolate will hurt a Yorkie?
It does not take very much chocolate at all to cause theobromine poisoning. In fact, deaths have been reported at as little as 115 milligrams per kilogram of body weight. This means that even around 0.75 ounces of milk chocolate could potentially be fatal to a dog the size of a Yorkie, which is often around 7 pounds.
Smaller numbers may not be fatal, but will still cause serious medical issues. Because of this, it’s never okay to feed your dog any amount of chocolate under any circumstances, no matter how small the amount.
How long would a Yorkie take to show signs of poisoning?
It can take up to three or four days for signs of chocolate poisoning to show up in dogs. This is one of the reasons that eating chocolate is so dangerous. If you’re unaware of your dog eating the chocolate, the symptoms can show up a few days later without your knowledge of anything happening at all.
This is why the sooner you find out or even suspect your dog got into some chocolate, the better. If you’re even a little unsure, it’s best practice to call the vet and the pet poison helpline. This could save your furry friend’s life.
Symptoms of chocolate poisoning in Yorkies
Some of the most common signs of chocolate poisoning for Yorkies (or any dogs) are vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, panting, and restlessness. These can be signs of many other digestive issues with your dog as well. If you see these, something is certainly wrong, and it’s for the best that you call your vet immediately.
How long will a Yorkie take to recover from chocolate poisoning
If your Yorkie is treated quickly enough, it will, in most cases, be fine. Usually a dog will recover within 72 hours. Most dogs recover from chocolate poisoning (if it’s caught and treated quickly) within two days. However, around 1% of dogs, even with quick and proper treatment, have long-term effects from chocolate poisoning and never recover.
The sooner you’re able to catch the issue, the better chance your Yorkie has of recovering, so make sure to be on top of it and don’t put off handling this very time-sensitive and possibly fatal issue!
Can chocolate poisoning be fatal?
As mentioned quite a few times above, yes. Unfortunately, chocolate poisoning can be fatal for your Yorkie. This most often happens when it goes unnoticed or untreated for multiple days. It can be difficult to differentiate the symptoms of chocolate poisoning from other digestive issues, especially if you don’t notice your dog ate chocolate.
This is why you should bring your dog to the vet or at least call when any digestive issues, vomiting, diarrhea, and other symptoms outlined above begin to occur.
What other foods are toxic to dogs?
There are many foods that are toxic to dogs, not just chocolate. Onions, garlic, chives, avocado, macadamia nuts, corn on the cob, alcohol, xylitol (a common ingredient in artificial sweeteners), and anything with theobromine is harmful to dogs to ingest. If your dog gets into any of these foods, you should call your vet or the pet poison helpline immediately.
This is not a comprehensive list, however. If you’re unsure of food, it’s best not to feed it to your dog until you get the okay from your vet.
Call your vet
As pointed out quite a few times in this article, calling your vet is one of the best steps you can take to both prevent issues like chocolate poisoning from arising and handling them if they do. Your vet is a professional trained to handle these issues, so it’s best to leave it in their hands should anything go wrong!
Remember, good dog owners, keep their vet in the loop and utilize them as the important resource they are.