At home, you can’t set up an invisible fence to keep your dog on the property. But what if you could bring that protection with you?
A Portable Invisible Fence is a wireless system that creates a containment zone for pets and other animals in the vicinity of their owner. It’s perfect for those who love traveling with their furry friends or want to take them camping without worrying about them running off into the woods.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
The PetSafe Stay & Play portable fence is a must-have for pet owners that want to give their pets plenty of room to roam. One of the best features of this fence is that it’s completely invisible and offers 3/4 acre coverage.
The transmitter can be placed anywhere that it can reach an outlet. This gives you complete flexibility in where to let your dog roam. Its range can also be manipulated to give your dog either a small space to roam or a large one.
Perhaps one of the most ideal aspects of this invisible fence is that there isn’t a wire to bury. You don’t have to damage your yard. It uses radiofrequency to transmit the signal instead.
This unit also comes with a set of flags. They’re useful in indicating the perimeter of the fence. Your dog will associate the flags with the bounds of their territory. Once they understand how far they can travel, you can remove the flags.
This collar also comes with five different levels of correction. That makes it suitable for small and large dogs.
You can always unplug the transmitter and take it with you camping or anywhere else, provided that you have access to an outlet.
- 3/4 ACRE OF CIRCULAR COVERAGE: The adjustable circular range allows up to 3/4-acre of coverage (22-105 feet in all directions) from the placement of the indoor transmitter
- NO WIRE TO BURY: A wireless boundary allows you to create a safe barrier around your yard to protect your pets without spending time burying wires
- 5 LEVELS OF CORRECTION: The system features 5 levels of static correction plus a tone-only mode
- STATIC-FREE REENTRY: Allows your pet to return home without being corrected if your pet passes the boundary
- STAY & PLAY COLLAR: System comes with 1 waterproof, rechargeable receiver collar that comfortably fits dogs 5 lb and up and adjusts to fit neck sizes 6-28 inches
Best Battery Operated System
The PetSafe YardMax is a great choice for camping or for those that want to give their pets access to certain parts of their yard. It runs on 10 D batteries and can last for several months on a single charge.
Because it uses batteries rather than an outlet, you can place the transmitter virtually anywhere. That makes it an ideal selection for pet owners who want to let their pets roam in an area that doesn’t have an outlet.
Its coverage is quite vast as well. It can cover up to 1/3 of an acre. Those who have several different dogs will also find this unit ideal. You’re able to connect any number of dogs to the transmitter by just purchasing additional collars.
The collars also have 5 different levels of correction. They can warn your dog or give them intense correction if they’re larger breeds and need something more intense.
This invisible fence is a great choice for hiking trips and other outlet-free adventures.
- WATERPROOF, BATTERY POWERED TRANSMITTER: The YardMax Cordless In-Ground Fence Transmitter can be conveniently placed anywhere in your yard; requires 10 D cell batteries (not included)
- MORE PLAY AREA FOR YOUR PETS: The YardMax Cordless In-Ground Fence provides your pets with up to 30% more yard space than other fences; add an unlimited number of pets with additional collar purchases
- RECHARGEABLE AND WATERPROOF COLLAR: The receiver collar quickly charges in just 2-3 hours; charges can last up to 3 months depending on collar use; fits most pets weighing 5 lb. or more
- ADJUSTABLE COLLAR LEVELS: The YardMax Receiver Collar has 5 levels of static and tone correction, plus a tone-only mode for training
- CONVENIENT COVERAGE: The YardMax Cordless In-Ground Fence comes with enough wire to cover up to 1/3 of an acre; expandable up to 1.4 acres with additional wire and flags (sold separately)
Best Portable Fence and Training Collar Combo
If you want to train your dog and give them free access to a certain area, then you may want to consider the KoolKani training collar and fence. This incredible system offers not just an invisible fence, but it also comes with three collars and a remote controller.
The fence covers up to 1/3 of an acre, giving your dogs plenty of room to run around. Although the system, itself, is wireless, it does come with an additional wire that you can bury to extend the length of the fence.
The remote controller has a 1200M range. It has several different settings and switching between each collar is easy. It also comes with a noise and vibration setting.
This kit offers a lot for a great price. It’s a great choice for new pet owners that haven’t bought a training collar or containment system yet.
- REMOTE DOG TRAINER & ELECTRIC FENCE COMBO: Remote dog training Shock collar system combined with underground/in-ground dog containment system in one single package.
- COLLAR COMPATIBLE WITH REMOTE CONTROLLER AND FENCE BASE TRANSMITTER. Train your dog with a remote controller or leave your dog inside the electric containment fence without taking off collar.
- 1200M REMOTE RANGE, RECHARGEABLE & FULLY WATERPROOF DOG TRAINING COLLAR- Collar can withstand tough conditions, great for outdoor sports, field trip, and hunting.
- TRAIN UP TO 3 DOGS & CONTAIN AS MANY DOGS AS YOU WANT- Electronic Fence system is multi-collar compatible—add as many collars as you like. Remote dog training system can train 3 dogs individually.
- INCLUDED 500F/150M BOUNDARY WIRE COVERS 1/3 ACRE(YOU CAN ADD 5 EXTRA WIRE FOR YOUR FENCE SYSTEM);REMOTE DOG TRAINER & ELECTRIC FENCE COMBO: Remote dog training Shock collar system combined with underground/in-ground dog containment system in one single package. Base controller box has large LCD display. It is easy to adjust settings for dog fencing system. Bury wire 3"-6" deep. The invisible wire sends wireless signals to the collars.
Best For 3 Dogs
The problem with many invisible fences is that they’re often suited for just a single dog. If you want your other dogs to be covered, then you need to buy additional collars. That isn’t the case with the PetSafe Stay & Play 3-Dog System. This system covers up to 3 dogs and is made for both small and large breeds.
This transmitter also offers a great deal of coverage at 1/3 of an acre. The collar can last several months on a single charge. It only takes 2-3 hours for the collar to be fully charged again. With this transmitter, you receive 3 collars. They can be adjusted to fit the neck of your dog.
This transmitter also comes with flags and chargers. The flags are useful in helping you understand where the perimeter of your fence is as well as your dog.
The collar has five different correction modes. It also comes with a tonal mode for training. As long as the transmitter has an outlet, it can be used practically anywhere.
- Lightweight, portable wireless transmitter - No Wire to Bury
- Creates an adjustable circular perimeter of up to 3/4 of an acre anywhere you go
- Rechargeable receiver collar charges in 2 to 3-hour and is ergonomically designed for comfort
- Offers 5 levels of static correction plus a tone-only mode for training of dogs over 5-pound with neck sizes 6 to 23-inch
- Includes Chargers, Flags, Transmitter and 3 collars
Best for Long Range
Pet owners that have a large yard will love the WIEZ wireless dog fence. The fence can be set at several different radiuses. They include:
It also has a system that gives your dog a few shocks if they venture past the fence. This is different from other collars that only shock the dog once. It’s more effective at reminding them to get back inside of their territory.
If you just want to train your dog with the collar, then this transmitter enables you to do so. It has a tonal, vibration, and shock mode. You can easily switch between them to train your dog with the fence.
Both the transmitter and collar are able to be recharged and used with batteries. That makes it a great choice for camping trips or other locations that don’t have an outlet.
- [The Smarter Working Mode] With 2.4GHz technology and dual antenna, the new version signal stability is drastically improved, which is more stable and accurate. It's usable in any outdoor terrain(5 different radius:100ft/200ft/300ft/500ft/990ft). Upgraded working modle: when your dog is out of range, the collar will sound first, then vibrate, and finally, use low 3.7V voltage shocks to remind the dog back to the range. The new version is designed to protect your dog as much as possible.
- [Adjustable Level of Vibration and Shock] Innovation combines the outdoor wireless dog fence and dog training function. Click “Mode” to switch mode. The dog training mode provides sound, vibration, and shock functions. The new version has three adjustable levels of vibration and electric shock, which can be adjusted depending on each dog. The remote control is effective for a radius of up to 990 ft. With 2 or 3 extra collars, you can choose to train one dog while the other 2 dogs rest.
- [More Stable Built-in Rechargeable Batteries] 🌟The new version improves the battery design, making the product last longer and the battery more stable.The receiver and the transmitter are rechargeable. With normal use, the battery can last for weeks. If the collar does not work, it will automatically enter the standby mode. The standby mode can be maintained for more than six months, and it can be awakened by the dog's movement or human touch.
- [Eco-friendly,Waterproof,Safe&Adjustable Collar] 🌟 The collar is made of eco-friendly TPU material and will dissolve into powder finally. The outer layer is equipped with a reflective belt to keep your dogs safe at night.The receiver is IP65 dust-proof and IPX7 waterproof and can be used in the rain and wet environments.The collar size ranges from 8 to 28 inches, suitable for all dogs (10 to 110 lbs),and is adjustable.One transmitter can match up to 3 collars and control each dog separately.
- [Thoughtful Design and Service] The receiver operates at a voltage of 3.7V and emits static electricity without harming the dog's hair. There are two sets of conductive columns of different lengths in black silicone covers. You can choose the right conductive column and decide whether to install the silicone cover or not. The silicone covers minimize the stimulation of electric shock to your dog.Your satisfaction is important to us. Please contact us if you have any problems.
Best Using GPS for Fencing, Tracking, or Training
The Garmin Alpha 100 is a powerful GPS transmitter that keeps track of your dog and enables you to keep them in a boundary. Their mapping technology allows you to put in a boundary on the map. When you notice that your dog has left the boundary zone on the map, you can deliver a warning or shock to get them back in the safe area.
The collar also works as a GPS locator. Depending on which model you purchase, the collar can be tracked for anywhere from 4 to 9 miles. This makes it a great choice for pet owners that love to take their dogs hunting or camping.
The battery life of the transmitter is 20-40 hours and can be recharged. It can also track 20 dogs at once. The information you can gather is their location, speed, and distance from you.
- High-Sensitivity GPS with GLONASS. Display size is 1.53 wide x 2.55 high in inches and 3 inch diagonal
- Preloaded TOPO U.S. 100k maps.LED beacon lights and Rescue mode as well as Stimulation levels-Tone and Vibration
- Battery life 20-40 hrs. Display type : transflective, 65-K color TFT touchscreen
- Setup virtual boundaries on your map and receive an alert, automatically sends signal to recall
- 1-inch black collar strap, 5-inches standard and 13-inches extended range antennas