Monitoring your pet’s feeding habits is essential for their health. However, when you’re at work or spending time with your friends over the weekend, things can get a little tricky. This is why we’ve prepared this microchip pet feeder guide to help you keep your furry baby well-nourished.
Pets can get enthusiastic and eat more than they should. Even when you’re around, the right pet feeder will prevent competition for food, reduce stress, and allow you to manage your pet’s weight. Keep on reading to find out more about microchip pet feeders.
Table of Contents
What is a Pet Microchip?
A microchip is a permanent method of electronic identification. Each chip has a unique number that refers to information about the animal and its owner, and it’s tiny so it won’t hurt your furry baby.
It’s about the size of a rice grain and is placed between the shoulder blades at the back of the neck. Little puppies and kittens might yelp when the chip is being implanted, but generally speaking, there is no to little discomfort involved.
Why Should You Get Your Pet Microchipped?
Microchips are different from collars and tags. Here are some of their benefits.
- Unlike the collars, your name, phone number, address, and pet’s name won’t get erased, worn off, or accidentally scratched. Pets are playful, and the collar or the name tag can get broken. The microchip is protected under the skin of your dog or cat, so all the data will be saved.
- If your pet is lost or stolen, the microchip is a solid proof of ownership. Anyone who finds your pet will be able to contact you. This is quite impressive, knowing that millions of pets get lost every year, and people can’t return them to their owners because they don’t know who they are.
- A microchip can be used to make your pet’s life easier. Nowadays, people are investing in smart homes, and buying smart products for your pet is the right choice.
Some doors open when your pet approaches, so it’s an excellent idea, especially if you have a senior pet or one that suffers from severe medical problems. Moreover, the microchip is the idea behind smart feeders that regulate your pet’s eating habits, even when you’re not around to monitor.
What are the Benefits of Microchip Pet Feeders?
Microchip pet feeders are smart tools that allow you to keep track of your pet’s eating habits without being physically close to them. The idea is simple because you fill the feeder with food and adjust feeding times and amounts based on your pet’s needs. Here are some of their benefits.
- A microchip pet feeder allows the right pet to eat at the right time. This is why they’re considered extremely helpful in a multi-pet household where pets are likely to fight for food. This feeder will reduce competition, distress, and teach your furry babies to share.
- Using this feeder will prevent overfeeding, which can lead to obesity and other health issues. Once the pet approaches, the feeder will grant them access to the amount of food you’ve already specified. Only the permitted pet will eat, so you can adjust every pet’s diet according to the vet’s orders.
- Feeding your pet can be controlled, whether you’re inside or outside the house. You can still spend time away from home, knowing that your pets will eat the way they should.
How to Choose the Best Microchip Pet Feeder
Here are some things to take into consideration.
You need to buy a well-made pet feeder that will last for long. Make sure that the materials are food-grade and BPA-free for the safety of your furry babies.
Good pet feeders are pet-proof, and this means that your enthusiastic pet won’t be able to change the adjustments or eat when they’re not allowed to. Sealed containers guarantee that the food will be fresh for long. This is critical, especially if you’re using wet and dry food.
Think about the overall capacity of the feeder. The more pets you have, the bigger the capacity you’ll need. You can also use the same feeder without refilling if you’re spending time away from home.
Lots of feeders are designed to provide food for your pet for a whole day. However, there are special models that can be used for a couple of days, so you can rest assured that your furry baby is eating even if you’re spending time away from home.
You need to make sure that you’re able to set the time and quantity of each meal to monitor your pet’s eating habits. Pets are likely to overfeed if you’re leaving the food around.
Too much eating can lead to health issues like an upset stomach and can cause your pet to become severely obese. Obese pets are prone to a lot of health issues that can subject their lives to danger.
Moreover, a microchip pet feeder allows you to set the right time for the meal. Your pet will only eat when it’s feeding time, so it’s practical to use if you’re trying to monitor your pet’s diet or want to give them supplements at specific hours.
Cleaning your pet feeder guarantees that it will always be ready for use. Most pet feeders are made of plastic and metal. It’s a big plus if the feeding tray is dishwasher-safe to make sure that your pet’s food will always be free of germs. If you have multiple pets in the house or if your furry baby is recovering from a severe health condition, you’ll guarantee their safety.
You can contact your vet and give your pet a microchip. While it’s being implanted, your pet might feel a little discomfort, but it doesn’t compare to the fantastic benefits of having this smart tool.
A microchip pet feeder helps you regulate the time and amount of every meal, even when you’re not around. It reduces distress and competition for food, especially if you live in a multi-pet household.