Wireless fences are an excellent option for people who want their dogs to have freedom of motion but don’t want to cordon off their yards completely.
Often they are less expensive than traditional fencing options and offer your dog a surprising amount of mobility. We’ve highlighted the best wireless dog fence options.
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Top Pick: PetSafe Stay & Play Dog and Cat Wireless Fence
- Runner Up: Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence – Safe & Unseen Pet Containment System
- Best For Large Dogs: SportDOG SDF-100A In-Ground Fence System for Dogs
- Best For Small Dogs: PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System
- Best for Budget Shoppers: JUSTPET Wireless Dog Fence Pet Containment System
- Will The Wireless Fence Hurt My Dog?
- How Long Do Wireless Fences Last?
- Will The Wireless Fence Hurt Me?
- What Is A Wireless Dog Fence And How Does It Work?
- Does An Invisible Fence Work For Big Dogs?
- Are Wireless Dog Fences Safe?
This option is a solid choice for people with multiple pets and will work on plenty of different types of terrain.
- The dog fence comes with an adjustable range so you can customize it to your pets.
- You don’t have to bury any wires.
- Your pet it not penalized for coming back into the fenced area.
- The signal can be occasionally erratic.
- This is a more expensive model.
The PetSafe Stay & Play Dog and Cat Wireless Fence has a lot of fantastic perks, like an adjustable range and safe re-entry for your pet. This option is great for people with multiple pets.
This excellent option comes with a warranty and a transmitter that you can set to different levels, giving you total control.
- This model comes with an extended warranty.
- You can customize the settings on the transmitter.
- It has a fairly long range so your dog will be able to run.
- The collar tends to lose charge quickly.
- It’s best for one or two dogs.
The Sit Boo-Boo Hidden Dog Fence – Safe & Unseen Pet Containment System is an excellent wireless fence to train your dog with because it can be set to any number of different levels.
If you have a large or active dog, this option is great for you because it gives your pet tons of mobility.
- This option gives your dog a huge area to run around in.
- The collar is waterproof so you can use it rain or shine.
- It comes with four customizable levels of stimulation.
- This option tends to be more on the expensive side.
- It is not a good option for smaller dogs.
The SportDOG SDF-100A In-Ground Fence System for Dogs is a great option for large, active dogs who need a lot of room to run around.
If you want to give your small dog freedom of mobility, this wireless containment system is a great option.
- You can cover up to half an acre of space with this wireless fence.
- There is no stimulation for pets re-entering the fence.
- It’s specifically designed for smaller dogs and cats.
- The collar might need to be replaced every few years.
- This is a more expensive option.
The PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System is a fantastic option that gives smaller dogs and cats plenty of room to run around and explore.
You don’t need to break the bank to invest in an amazing wireless dog fence. The JUSTPET Wireless Dog Fence Pet Containment System is the best budget option on the market!
- This option is less expensive than standard wireless dog fences, but works just as well.
- The collar is really easy to set up.
- Your pet’s collar is battery charge powered and waterproof.
- The collar needs to be charged often.
- This wireless fence is not suitable for multiple dogs.
The JUSTPET Wireless Dog Fence Pet Containment System is an excellent option for people on a budget with one or two dogs.
Will The Wireless Fence Hurt My Dog?
Wireless fences operate with levels of stimulation, and if programmed appropriately, they will not hurt your dog.
The lowest settings deliver an annoying reminder that the dog has passed his or her boundaries, and the higher settings are enough to surprise your dog, but not actually hurt them.
How Long Do Wireless Fences Last?
Wireless fences are designed to last for twenty years, but you’ll have to change the battery on your transmitter once every couple of months.
Will The Wireless Fence Hurt Me?
A wireless fence won’t hurt anyone who is not wearing a transmitter collar. Humans can pass back and forth through wireless fences with no problems whatsoever.
What Is A Wireless Dog Fence And How Does It Work?
Wireless fences are invisible boundaries that deliver sensations to any animal wearing a transmittal collar. The sensations are not designed to injure or hurt the animal, but simply to remind them that they can’t pass by that barrier.
They are an effective way to keep pets contained over a large portion of land.
Does An Invisible Fence Work For Big Dogs?
Invisible, or wireless fences work for both large and small dogs. There are some varieties and brands that are more suited to smaller or larger animals.
Still, the general rule is that these fences will contain any animal that is wearing a transmission collar that corresponds to the electronic fence.
Are Wireless Dog Fences Safe?
If they are operated and installed correctly, wireless dog fences are perfectly safe and will keep your dog safely contained within their boundaries. Millions of dog owners use these types of fences every day with absolutely no problems at all.