Table of Contents
- How Do You Get Dog Urine Smell Out of Carpet?
- Can Professional Carpet Cleaning Remove Dog Urine?
- How To Remove Wet Urine Stains From Carpet – Removing Fresh Stains
- How To Get Dried Dog Pee Out Of Carpet – Removing Stains That Have Set
- DIY – How To Clean Dog Urine From Carpet With Vinegar And Baking Soda
- What Neutralizes Dog Urine?
- Machine Washable Items – Small Rugs
- What To Do About Paint And Wood Damage From Urine
- How To Prevent Future Incidents
- What Is The Best Cleaner For Dog Urine In Carpet?
- Top Pick
- Best for Hardwood Flooring
- Best for Puppy Owners
How Do You Get Dog Urine Smell Out of Carpet?
Assuming it doesn’t smell too horrible, you’ll always want to try and blot as much pee as you possible can out with towels. Some pet owners put a few drops of safe and relatively natural dish detergent and water on the area along with a towel so it can absorb as much of the odor as possible.
Opening up the windows can help by diluting the amount of smell currently in the air with some fresh oxygen. While urine soaks into the carpet, even the slightest amount of fresh air can work wonders.
Can Professional Carpet Cleaning Remove Dog Urine?
Yes, though it can be awfully expensive. Usually, you only need to hire a professional if things have started to get really out of hand and you can’t keep the odor down any other way.
Generally, it isn’t too hard to rent professional-grade carpet cleaning equipment yourself either. You might want to consider this if you’re looking to save a bit of cash.
Rental stations are often integrated into grocery stores and other major retail locations.
How To Remove Wet Urine Stains From Carpet – Removing Fresh Stains
Once again, it’s always best to blot up as much urine as possible. While it might seem like a nasty job and you’ll need to clean your hands afterward, it can make things go much more smoothly later on.
Urine has a tendency to sink down into carpeting and get stuck in the pad below. Therefore, drying up as much with towels as you can will help to stop this process.
Sprinkling spots with baking soda and then letting them sitting over night can often help as well, especially if they’re fresh but not too fresh.
How To Get Dried Dog Pee Out Of Carpet – Removing Stains That Have Set
Now we start to get into territory where you’re going to want to see if treatments actually cause any damage to your carpeting before you try them. Always make sure to test them in an inconspicuous area before you go full bore with trying to remove a particularly nasty stain.
A few squirts of a standard concentration of hydrogen peroxide usually only takes around 10-15 minutes to get even a set stain out. You might notice that it fizzes up when you pour it on a urine stain.
This could seem concerning, but it just shows that the compound is working to lift the odor and color out.
DIY – How To Clean Dog Urine From Carpet With Vinegar And Baking Soda
A combination of baking soda and vinegar is probably the most popular option, since it normally won’t damage lighter colored carpets. Mix around a cup of food-grade distilled white vinegar with a couple of heaping tablespoons of baking soda into a cup of water.
Shake it well and it should start to get really fizzy.
Make sure to keep the mixture away from your face, since it could get a little messy. Spray or pour it on the stain and then let it stay on your carpet for at least 5-6 minutes.
You can then blot it dry until the stain gets lifted up.
What Neutralizes Dog Urine?
Clean paper, including standard newsprint and possibly even junk mail, can help to neutralize urine by grabbing hold of it. Baking soda works well too, even if you don’t use it in that special mixture.
A bit of clean water to flush away the stain, followed by blotting it up constantly with towels, might work as well. You have to be really diligent about drying the area, however.
Epsom salts and alum could help as well, but they might start to lift the color on certain types of carpeting.
Machine Washable Items – Small Rugs
When your pet pees on a rug you can throw into the wash, just pick up the whole thing and toss it in.
While you don’t want to push your luck with rugs that aren’t machine washable, you might be surprised to learn that many welcome mats and bath rugs can go in without problems.
What To Do About Paint And Wood Damage From Urine
If there’s any sort of damage to your runners and baseboards, then you can usually fix this with just a bit of touch-up paint. Damage to hardwood flooring is a bit more difficult.
You may need to consider lightly sanding and then adding a bit of extra stain over the afflicted area. The good news is that many of the same cleaning methods that work on carpet will also work with hardwoods, so you might be able to save things before they get too bad.
How To Prevent Future Incidents
Consider the simple way that dog guru Zak George makes sure his dogs are potty trained in this video:
You could break it down into these easy steps:
1) Feed your dog on a schedule, so he or she will get used to going on a schedule.
2) Keep track of when your dog indicates they have to go and see what times of the day it is.
3) Whenever it gets close to one of the times you’ve found, make sure to take your dog out. You’ll want to do the same whenever he or she starts to do that characteristic pawing dance that shows they’re ready to eliminate.
This is one step where you’ll need to have someone around all the time if you can’t be home to take out your dog during the day.
4) Positively reinforce your dog’s behavior each time you get them to go outside or in another appropriate designated area. Wait until your dog is completely finished before you reinforce, though.
You wouldn’t wan to be pestered on the toilet, would you?
5) Do your best to catch your dog in the act if he or she goes anywhere else and then move them to the correct area.
6) Clean up messes you were too late to catch. If you weren’t there right when your dog did it, then you’ve already missed the training opportunity.
Dogs mimic what you teach them, so you want to observe their behaviors and act accordingly.
What Is The Best Cleaner For Dog Urine In Carpet?
- ELIMINATES STAINS, ODORS AND RESIDUE If it’s gross, it’s gone. Not just the stain, but the stink. From stinky yellow pet urine and feces to vomit and other organic spills, our professional strength formula tackles them all.
- ENZYME ACTIVATED The key is getting to the problem deep-down. This spray contains natural enzymatic bacteria that are activated on contact with odors and stains, feeding on ammonia crystals and organic matter until they are completely eliminated.
- CERTIFIED GENTLE AND SAFE Chlorine free and color safe. Safe to use around pets and children. No hazardous propellants, no residue left behind. So gentle it’s been Certified Safe for all carpets, earning the Seal of Approval by the trusted Carpet and Rug Institute (CRI)
- EVERY SURFACE, EVERY TIME For use on carpets, floors, furniture, clothing, litter boxes, kennels, carriers, all pet living and sleeping areas -- anywhere stains happen.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED An Amazon best seller for a reason. If your stains and odors aren’t gone, neither is your money. We’ll refund it in full
Rocco & Roxie Professional Strength Stain Eliminator
This cleaner uses natural enzymes, which are gentle on your carpets and relatively safe for your dog to be around. Best of all, it gets deep down to the problem areas that tend to hold odors for a long time after they’ve dried.
That gives it the power to work where other products fail.
Best for Hardwood Flooring
- WHILE OTHER PET URINE ODOR ELIMINATORS have an overwhelming scent and never fully remove pet urine odor or may even ruin your carpet, Amaziing Solutions pet urine odor eliminator spray and pet stain remover is more effective and has a discreet and pleasant smell that will remove any dog or cat urine odor and pet stains without damaging your carpet! This means a deeper more natural clean for your carpet and a more beautiful, cleaner smelling home for you!
- YOU’LL NEVER HAVE TO PUT UP WITH THAT HORRIBLE ODOR AGAIN by choosing Amaziing Solutions pet odor remover! You work really hard to keep your beautiful home clean and you deserve a powerful, refreshing and above all, effective pet urine odor remover! Never feel embarrassed when welcoming guests or hosting a dinner party! Your lovely living room will not smell of dogs or cats again!
- DON’T WASTE YOUR TIME SCRUBBING YOUR CARPET OR UPHOLSTERY to eliminate that lingering dog or cat pee smell! Our versatile, made in the USA, formula contains powerful natural enzymes that neutralize pet urine odor and dissolves stains on carpet, upholstery, clothing, draperies, car interiors, dog and cat beds, bird cages and cat litter boxes! Plus, it comes with a LIFETIME SATISFACTION GUARANTEE, so you can rest assured that your investment is 100 risk-free!
- THE MOST ESSENTIAL ACCESSORY OF EVERY PET OWNER is finally here! Designed and produced by pet owners for pet owners, the Amaziing Solutions pet stain remover will not only save your precious time but also help you save your hard-earned money on multiple cleaning products! We know exactly how stressful it can be to have a loving pet and maintain a clean fresh home at the same time! That’s why our goal is to make your life easier and odor-free!
- FOR HAPPY PETS & EVEN HAPPIER PET OWNERS, all you have to do is simply choose Amaziing Solutions! It will instantly become your most trustworthy weapon in your cleaning arsenal, especially if you’re training your puppy or kitten! And the best part? You can rest assured that our mom-approved pet stain and odor remover is healthy and safe for both pets and your family, since it’s certified by the Carpet & Rug Institute! Why hesitate?
Amaziing Solutions Pet Odor Spray
Pet owners with carpeting throughout their entire homes have plenty of options when it comes to cleaning solutions, but those who have a mixture of carpeting and hardwoods have it tough when it comes to cleaning up pet messes.
Fortunately, Amaziing Solutions offers this compound that can tackle stinky problems on both types of surfaces.
Best for Puppy Owners
- ❤️ EASY CLEANUP - Pet Stain & Odor Miracle makes clean up fast and easy, so you can quickly return to having fun with your fur-baby. Only an enzyme-based cleaning solution can completely remove 100% of organic matter, such as urine, feces, vomit, blood, and drool (chemical based cleaners cannot do that). All of our products smell incredible!
- 😊 INCREDIBLE VALUE - Pet Stain & Odor Miracle makes it very easy for you to clean every surface in your home - carpet, rug, hardwood, laminate, tile, concrete floor, furniture, mattress, leather, couch, pet beds, crates, litter box, car upholstery and mats. You can even use this amazing enzymatic solution outside, in artificial grass and turf, patio, deck and virtually any other surface.
- ⭐ HIGHEST QUALITY - All of Sunny & Honey’s products are made with the highest quality ingredients available, right here - in the beautiful USA. As a hardworking family-run small business, we wholeheartedly believe in providing you with the absolute best products and value. We take this responsibility seriously!
- 🌱 NATURAL CLEANING POWER - Pet Stain & Odor Miracle was created with your furry kids in mind! This bio-enzymatic formula is biodegradable, non-toxic, and is scented with essential oils. This spray solution is also Leaping Bunny Certified. We love animals and nature - let’s protect them together!
- ✔ OUR PROMISE - If you are not 100% in LOVE with Pet Stain & Odor Miracle, send it back for a full refund. You have absolutely nothing to lose (except a stain or two) . Click “Add To Cart” Right Now!
Pet Stain & Odor Miracle Enzyme Cleaner
Chances are if you’re training a puppy you’re going to have to deal with smells other than merely urine. This cleaner gives you a chance to reduce the smell of feces, vomit, drool and other nasty things as well.
Some pet owners have even said that it works well to get smells out of their carpet that their dogs have tracked in from outside. That’s especially good news for anyone who has a pet that has a tendency to go digging and exploring in the great outdoors.