One of the best ways that you can cook chicken for your dog is by boiling it. While that may seem bland to humans, dogs absolutely love the taste of meat on its own.
Boiled chicken also contains all of the protein and nutrients that a healthy dog needs. Here are a few steps on how to properly boil your chicken for your dog.
1. Get 3 boneless and skinless chicken breasts.
First, you’ll need three chicken breasts. They should be boneless and skinless.
Place those chicken breasts in a medium-sized pot. You want to make sure that the meat doesn’t lay on top of one another, and instead, they all lay across the bottom of the pot.
You can also use a covered skillet that’s deep.
Take the time to ensure that the chicken is thoroughly defrosted. Having chicken that is only semi-defrosted could affect the cooking time.
It might also cause the chicken to not cook thoroughly throughout it. The last thing you want is to give your dog raw chicken.
2. Add the chicken breasts to a pot and cover with water. Leave 2 inches of space at the top so the water doesn’t boil over.
With your chicken breasts put into place, you’ll need to fill the pot with water. The amount may vary depending on what kind of pot you’re using, but the goal is to have the chicken breasts completely submerged in water.
To keep your water from boiling over the pot, you should give about two inches of headspace from the surface of the water to the top of the pot.
At this stage, you may feel an urge to add some seasonings to the pot. This should be avoided.
Certain seasonings can actually upset your dog’s stomach. Instead, just keep the chicken bland.
3. Bring the water to a rolling boil and boil the breasts for 12 minutes.
With your chicken submerged, it’s time to cook it. Place a cover over the pot and let it boil for 12 minutes.
You’ll want to make sure that the stove is at high heat. The 12-minute mark shouldn’t begin until the water has started boiling.
Only then should you start the timer for 12 minutes for your chicken to cook.
After those 12 minutes are over, you can inspect the chicken. Take out a breast and split it apart to check the inside.
How Long Should You Boil Chicken For Dogs? About 12 minutes. At that point pull out one of the chicken breasts and cut through to the center. If it’s white and firm all the way through it’s done. If it’s pink and soft boil 2 minutes more and recheck.
If it’s pink or gummy, then it isn’t cooked yet. Put it back in the pot and allow it to cook for another few minutes.
4. Pull out the chicken breasts, let them cool, then shred them (save the broth!).
To keep your dog from burning their mouths, it’s a good idea to let the chicken cool off for 10 or 15 minutes. You might have enough sense to let hot chicken cool off before eating it, but you can be sure that your dog will stick its nose right into the dish regardless.
If you want to speed up the process, you can place it in the fridge for a few minutes.
Once the chicken is cooked, you can place it on a plate. While you may be tempted to just drop it into your dog’s bowl then and there, this isn’t the best practice.
You’ll want to help your dog eat it in small bites. Otherwise, they could have digestive problems.
You can use two forks to start shredding the meat into smaller pieces. The pieces should be small enough that your dog can easily chew and swallow them without the risk of choking.
The size of your dog is also important. Larger dogs can handle larger pieces while smaller dogs may need it to be shredded twice-over.
5. Optional – Use the broth to make rice. Bring the broth to a boil again. Mix in white rice (one part rice to two parts water). Turn down to a simmer. Cover tightly and let simmer for 12 minutes.
I almost always use the leftover broth to make rice. A meal of just chicken for a sick dog can get expensive. Mixing it with plain rice was both recommended by my vet plus it makes the food last longer!
To make boiled rice for your sick dog do the following:
- Measure how much broth you have. You want to mix 1 part rice to 2 parts water. You’ll likely have 4 cups or more of water. Let’s assume 4 cups for these instructions but measure to be sure.
- Bring the broth back to a boil.
- Assuming you had 4 cups of broth, add 2 cups of white rice.
- Bring it back to a boil then turn it down to a simmer.
- Cover tightly and let simmer for 12 minutes.
- Open it and check it. When done the rice grains will turn from white and opaque to almost see through. You can always tell it’s not done yet if you can still see some brighter opaque white color in the center of the rice grains.
6. Mix the chicken with their dry food or some rice then feed it to your dog
Some dogs may not find three chicken breasts filling enough. In that case, you could add the chicken to their dog food.
The mixture creates a yummy treat for the dog while also ensuring that it receives a wholesome and filling meal.
Otherwise, you could use the shredded chicken as a snack or with rice.
For dogs with upset stomachs, you could also add the shredded chicken in with some white rice. This helps your dog’s digestive system and can offer some additional nutrition as well.