If your dog has a tendency to chew on the dog crate mat, you need to replace it with a tougher one that can handle this destructive behavior.
In the following article, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know regarding this topic, so you can pick the ideal heavy duty dog crate mat for your doggie. So without further ado, let’s head in!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Top 4 Heavy Duty Door Crate Mats Available on the Market
- Do Virtually Indestructible Dog Crate Mats Exist?
- How to Lengthen the Lifespan of a Dog Crate Mat
- Things to Look for in a Heavy Duty Dog Crate Mat
- Wrap Up
Top 4 Heavy Duty Door Crate Mats Available on the Market
1. Maxx Dog Bed
Maxx Dog crate mat is one of the best options to go for if you want a durable dog mat that resists minor destructive behaviors.
It’s made of high-grade polyester, which is significantly more durable than other polyester options available out there.
The mat is machine washable and easy to carry. It also has sizes that fit in most cage sizes without any problems.
- MEDIUM / LARGE DOG BED in black is ideal for dogs w/ an adult weight of 41 - 70 pounds | Dog bed measures 35L x 24W x 3H inches & fits a 36-inch long metal dog crate
- ADD COMFORT TO YOUR DOG'S CRATE | Use pet bed in conjunction with their dog crate to entice your pet to use their crate
- COMFORTABLE POLY-FIBER FILLED BOLSTER creates a nice head rest for your dog | Cushioned base w/ "no-slip" grip on bottom of dog bed prevents dog bed sliding on hardwood & tile floors
- EASY MAINTENANCE DOG BED | Maxx's extra tough water repellent fabric allows you to spot clean for minor accidents & use the washing machine / dryer for larger accidents
- Comes with a one-year warranty
- Available in multiple colors and sizes
- Not comfortable
If you’re looking for a durable bed mat without breaking the bank consider this one from gorilla grip.
The crate mat is surprisingly durable and tough despite being made from cotton. The good thing here is that cotton makes it extremely comfortable compared to other options.
It’s also good for resisting wetting the bed, as it absorbs moisture efficiently. The most impressive feature of the mat is that it comes with a 10-year guarantee.
- Resists water perfectly
- Highly affordable
- BPA and lead-free
- Not suitable for super-heavy chewers
The Midwest Deluxe is another heavy duty dog crate that can handle messy and excessively active dogs.
A lot of dog owners claim that it prevented their dogs from chewing into the mat, thanks to its durable cotton polyester blend.
This blend also feels pretty nice on the dog’s paws and make it fully machine washable. The dog mat is available in 8 different sizes and fits in crates perfectly.
- Ideal dog bed / crate pad for use in 36-Inch metal dog crates, for dogs 41-70 pounds
- Plush, ultra-soft & durable dog bed crate pad, luxurious micro terry cushioned pet bed w/ poly/cotton base
- Dog bed measures 35L x 23W x 1.2H inches & works great inside a 36”L metal dog crate or as a stand-alone pet bed
- Easy maintenance pet bed / dog crate pad, completely machine washable / dryer friendly
- Resists moderate chewing
- Good value for its price
- Machine washable
- The mat slips easily
Lastly, if you’re suffering from an excessively chewing dog, you need to consider this elevated chew proof bed from K9 Ballistics.
Unlike all the products that are marketed as chew-proof, elevated beds are the ones that have the properties needed for such a title.
It’s made of ripstop fabric and aluminum legs that gives it some elevation to make up for the lack of plushness.
I wouldn’t recommend that you go for this pricey option unless your dog simply manages to tear the toughest dog crate mat apart.
- Chew Proof Dog Bed: For dogs who persistently chew their beds, and who've turned lesser dog beds into a pile of rags. Not just chew resistant, this dog bed is an indestructible dog bed.
- Chew Resistant Dog Bed: This elevated dog bed resists all destructive dog habits such as chewing, biting, scratching, digging, and nesting. This is due in part to the full aluminum dog bed design, and also to the ripstop ballistic fabric used for the bed.
- Crate Dog Bed: Designed to fit in all standard size dog crates. This crate dog bed fits snuggly (not tight) without any gaps. This helps keep your dog safe in his crate, and also helps prevent damage a dog's attempts to damage the crate dog bed.
- 120 Day Chew Proof Armored Warranty - If your dog chews through or damages any part of their bed within 120 days of receiving it, we will replace the damaged component(s) once free of charge.
- Handles the most destructive and heavily chewing dogs
- 120 days chew-proof replacement guarantee
- Fits all standard dog crates
- Premium price tag.
Do Virtually Indestructible Dog Crate Mats Exist?
The market has some pretty durable and heavy-duty options, such as the dog crate mats that are mentioned above.
However, using the term “indestructible” or “chew-proof” literally is unfortunately far from realistic, as even the most durable dog crate mat is susci[tbble to some forms of damage.
Some manufacturers use this term to promote the durability and toughness of their products against the consistent attacks of dogs who have an affinity to chew on things.
Ideally, the term “heavy duty” would best describe these products, which are designed and built at higher standards to resist damage much longer than any mediocre option.
Such dog crate beds are made from higher quality materials that are much hard to break through, and therefore, stand the test of time much better.
The idea here is that when a destructive dog realizes that it isn’t able to chew through the mat to its padding as easily, it might give up trying altogether. As a result, you can put an end to this behavior along with some reinforcement training.
How to Lengthen the Lifespan of a Dog Crate Mat
To lengthen the lifespan of your dog crate mat, you have to consider all the means of making it a secondary option to chew for your dog.
Ideally, for a heavy-duty dog crate mat, adding a chew toy along with some training on not to chew the mat would give the dog a chance to deplete its chewing energy before it starts chewing on the mat.
Chewing is usually a way for the dog to reflect on some issues. These issues might be as simple as boredom and wanting to go out more, all the way to being anxious and scared of something.
Also, if you want to strengthen the crate mat even further, you can consider wrapping the mat into a custom-designed pillowcase of a similar size.
Some dog owners also use sprays that make the mat taste unappealing to the dog, such as bitter apple spray. Consider only chewing the spots where the dog tries to chew on, as they might stop using the bed if you spray it in the middle.
Things to Look for in a Heavy Duty Dog Crate Mat
While shopping for a heavy-duty dog crate mat, there are some aspects that you need to consider for your investment to be worthwhile. Let’s have a brief overview of them.
The golden standard that separates a heavy-duty dog crate mat from a basic one is the materials that are used in them.
Crate mats are made from various materials, such as cotton, polyester, and nylon. The first two are much more affordable but they’re generally weaker, especially the polyester ones despite being water repellant.
However, if you want the maximum level of resistance against chewing in a dog crate mat, you should go for ballistic nylon. It’s also water repelling along with polyester.
Being durable doesn’t mean that the crate mat has to be uncomfortable for your dog. In fact, adding layers of stuffing into the bedding doubles as more barriers to prevent your pooch from reaching into the mat.
A comfortable mat is crucial, especially for senior dogs who are suffering from orthopedic problems.
It’s essential that you make sure that you’re able to toss the mat sheet into the washing machine for a quick wash. This way, you can keep it clean and healthy for your dog.
A heavy-duty dog crate mat should be durable, comfortable, and easy to maintain and move around. That’s why Maxx Dog Bed for Metal Dog Crates is the best overall dog crate mats.
It’s easy to wash and comfortable for your dog all the while being highly resistant to wear and tear.
However, if you want the maximum level of chewing resistance, consider the advanced elevated by bed from K9 Ballistics. This one is specifically designed to withstand chewing no matter how destructive your dog is.