What is a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix? They are a dog bred from a German Shepherd parent and a Border Collie Parent. They are affectionately called a Shollie.
They inherit characteristics of both parents. They are generally about 21 to 27 inches tall and weigh 70 to 80 pounds. They are considered large-sized dogs.
Table of Contents
- Is a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix a Good Mix?
- How Much Does a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Cost?
- How Long Do German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Live?
- Are German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Easy to Train?
- Are German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Aggressive?
- What Is the Best Age to Train a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Puppy?
- How Do You Discipline a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Puppy?
- What Is Bad About a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix?
- Can a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Protect You?
- How Do You Bond With a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix?
- Can German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Be Left Alone?
- Do German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Like to Cuddle?
- Are German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Lazy?
Is a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix a Good Mix?
German Shepherd Border Collies are great dogs for singles, couples, or families with active lifestyles. These dogs are loyal, loving, and high energy.
They need at least 2 hour-long walks every day. They also need plenty of space and time to run around and play. They are not a good fit for anyone who lives in an apartment or does not have a yard.
How Much Does a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Cost?
Pricing will vary depending on where you are, how many are available, and whether you are getting them from a breeder or a shelter. On average they cost between $400 and $900. Puppies will always cost more than an older dog.
Keep in mind it will cost you between $500 and $1000 a year over its lifetime. These costs include grooming, feeding, vet visits, and toys. However, you may spend even more if you buy a lot of toys or your dog develops a severe medical condition.
How Long Do German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Live?
A German Shepherd Border Collie Mix will live up to 15 years. The average is 13-15 years. Some have lived as long as 17 years.
To give your dog the best and longest life you can:
- Make sure to do yearly vet visits (twice yearly when they get past 10 years is recommended).
- Make sure to feed your dog a food that gives them the right balance of nutrients.
- Make sure to meet all their exercise and activity needs.
Are German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Easy to Train?
Most German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes will be easy to train. They are intelligent dogs, so it is easy to train them and teach them tricks. However, it is important to note that the traits that make them easy to train can also make training difficult if they do not respect you. The first step to training is making sure they understand that you are the boss, “the alpha”.
Are German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Aggressive?
German Shepherd Border Collie mixes are not usually aggressive. They may be wary of strangers. If they are improperly trained, they may show some aggression to strangers.
If you decide to adopt a rescue dog, you may also encounter a problem with trauma left over from abuse that can cause aggression in your dog. In most cases, love and proper training can mitigate the problem.
What Is the Best Age to Train a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Puppy?
You can begin training your puppy as young as 7 or 8 weeks old. You should also begin socializing your dog with other dogs at this age.
At age 3 months they will be ready for obedience school and full training. From 2-9 months is the ideal time for socializing and training a puppy.
However, your dog can be retrained at any age if necessary. It may take longer if they are older, but they are intelligent dogs and will learn.
How Do You Discipline a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Puppy?
- Be consistent. Reward consistently for good behavior. “Punish” consistently for bad behavior.
- Be Immediate. Rewards or punishments should immediately follow a behavior. This will allow your dog to associate the behavior with either rewards or punishments.
- Be Calm and Firm. Your dog will get upset if you do. If they are too upset, they may fail to recognize why.
- Special food
- Extra time with you
- Anything else they like
- Take a toy away
- Nose in “doggy mess”
- Spray bottle or mist bottle
- “Time out”
- “The Voice”- If you use a specific tone of voice when they misbehave, they will eventually make the connection.
What Is Bad About a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix?
This list of negatives can also be viewed as a list of positives depending on what you are looking for in a dog.
- They are high energy and need a lot of walks and play time.
- They need lots of grooming and brushing.
- They shed quite a bit. They are not good dogs for people with allergies.
- They need space. Apartments and small houses without a yard are not big enough.
- They do not like being alone for too long.
Can a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix Protect You?
German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes can be territorial and protective. This makes them great guard dogs. It is important to properly train them in their Guard Dog Duties to ensure no mishaps when guests visit.
They are large dogs, so they are not only physically intimidating when they bark and growl but are also capable of physical attacks against humans. Talk to a specialist trainer if you want to train your dog as a guard dog.
How Do You Bond With a German Shepherd Border Collie Mix?
- Provide a safe environment for your dog.
- Make sure they understand that you are the boss, the “alpha”. This will help them feel safe.
- Provide lots of attention and time. As much as you can.
- Play with your dog every day.
- Take your dog for walks every day. (Do not just have the dog walker do the walks.)
- Feed your dog and give them treats.
- Pet your dog and offer physical affection, such as hugs.
- Respect your dog’s wishes. If they want to cuddle and you can, do so. If they want their space, give it to them.
Can German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Be Left Alone?
German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes should not be left home alone for more than 3-4 hours. They are high energy and unless they can run free in your backyard they will need to be walked and played with while you are away.
They can also become anxious if you are gone too long. This anxiety can lead to them acting out when you are home. They are happiest when they are with someone from their family.
Do German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Like to Cuddle?
German Shepherd Border Collie mixes enjoy being with their humans. They also enjoy cuddling with them. They may get too hot if the day is hot. If this happens, they will simply do their best to get their own space.
They are not cuddly with strangers. So do not be surprised if they do not immediately warm up to someone. Give them time to get to know that someone.
Are German Shepherd Border Collie Mixes Lazy?
No, German Shepherd Border Collies are not lazy dogs. They are bred from two energetic dogs. They need an active lifestyle with plenty of walks and playtime.