If you’re like any dog owner, you must be wishing your dog had a safe, hassle-free way of going in and out. The best way to achieve this is by using electronic dog doors. They’re safe, reliable, and come with several multipurpose designs.
After reviewing dozens of doors, we found the 3 best electronic dog door openers. We’re sure our list has the perfect door for you and your pooch.
So let’s dive in!
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- The 3 Best Electronic Dog Door Openers
- What’s an Electronic Dog Door?
- How Does an Electronic Dog Door Work?
The 3 Best Electronic Dog Door Openers
Choose the best door for your dog from these top picks.
High Tech Pet Power Pet PX-2: Best Rated
High Tech Pet uses a built-in ultrasonic directional sensor to activate the door. It’s designed to operate only when your dog is in the direct path of the signal.
This door comes with 4 access controls (out only, in only, full access, or full lock). They allow you to choose the door’s level of security at any time.
One bonus feature is its automatic deadbolt locking mechanism. It provides a higher level of security, compared with other models.
The door can be installed into any wall or door. Everything you need to install it yourself is included with the package. The shipment also includes a free MS-4 collar, which operates on High Tech’s B3V1A batteries. The PX-2 door can also be used with the RX-10 multifunction collar, which has a rechargeable battery.
The PX-2 electronic dog door is available in both medium (8” x 12”) and large (12” x 16”) sizes. Included with the door is a standard 110V AC adapter. Plug it into a nearby wall outlet, and connect it to either side of the door.
- Motor driven vertically-sliding door is activated by MS-4 ultrasonic collar
- Directional sensing system opens the door only when your pet is on a direct approach, not when he is just wandering by or sleeping next to the door
- 4-way access control lets you select from In Only, Out Only, Full Access or Closed & Locked
- Wind and weatherproof with airtight seal; automatic deadbolt locking adds a level of security higher than any other pet door
- Panel size: 12-1/4 by 16-inch for pets up to 100-pound, Kindly refer user manual and instruction video for reference.
- Simple installation process
- Comes with an MS-4 collar
- Hermetically sealed
- Panel and SmartKey are weatherproof
- Available in 2 sizes
- Comes with 4 access controls
- Batteries are expensive
SureFlap Microchip Pet Door: Best Budget
One of the best features of the SureFlap electronic dog door is its compatibility with many microchip formats worldwide. So if your dog has already been microchipped, you’re set to go.
It can also accommodate up to 32 different microchip signatures. This comes in handy when you have several pets and want to control when each of them comes and goes.
If you prefer, you can use a SmartKey collar. Whether you use the microchip or SmartKey, you can set up the collar with the touch of a button.
Want the door to lock at specific times during the day? SureFlap can do that for you with the built-in Curfew Mode. Plus, there are three other modes to choose from: free access, in only, and out only.
This dog door runs on 4 regular C-sized batteries, which last about a year. There’s a low-battery indicator that tells you when you need replacements. It’s important to note that if you use a SmartKey collar tag, you don’t need any batteries.
SureFlap is great for small dog breeds. Its panel measures 7” x 7”. It can be installed into walls, windows, or doors.
- SELECTIVE ENTRY PET DOOR: Uses RFID to read your pet’s implanted ID microchip, allowing your pet access without letting in stray animals, learns up to 32 identities; programmable collar tags are sold separately for pets without microchips. SIMPLE ONE BUTTON Programming. Helps prevent intruder animals from entering your home.
- MICROCHIP COMPATIBILITY: Works with 9 (Avid Secure), 10 (FDXA) and 15 (FDXB) digit microchip numbers; if unsure of your pet’s microchip number, you can check with your veterinarian, pet shelter or animal rescue.
- DOOR OPENING: The Microchip Pet Door Flap opening is 6 11/16” (H) by 7” (W) and can be installed in doors, windows or walls, accessories are available from SureFlap.
- BATTERY POWERED: Uses 4 C non-rechargeable alkaline batteries (not included); estimated battery life up to 12 months depending on use. LOW BATTERY INDICATOR: Light flashes red when batteries are low and indicates batteries will need to be replaced soon.
- PERFECT GIFT: The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door is a great gift for small dog breeds and cat lover’s, making safe spaces and homes for their pets. Three Year Warranty.
- Uses dog’s ID microchip signature or SmartKey collar
- Compatible with various microchip signatures
- Can accommodate up to 32 different microchip signatures
- 3-year warranty
- Only suitable for small-sized dogs
- Not airtight
PlexiDor Electronic Dog Door: Best Multipurpose
The PlexiDor is an automatic vertical sliding door. Its panel is operated via the key control on your dog’s collar.
The radio-frequency identification (RFID) collar sends a signal to unlock and slide the door open as your dog approaches. You can adjust how far you want your dog to be before the signal is activated. The distance is adjustable to up to three feet.
There’s an adjustable timer, too. You can set it to control how long the sliding panel stays open.
Included are two RFID collar keys. Do you have more than two dogs? No problem. The PlexiDor can accept up to 10 keys.
The best part is that these collar keys are completely weatherproof. They’re also lightweight, weighing only 0.4 ounces.
Because the collar is based on RFID technology, it doesn’t need batteries. The door, however, can be operated in two ways. You can use a regular AC adapter, or you can hardwire the door to your main circuit.
Not only is this door sturdier than most doors on the market, but it’s also equipped with a heavy steel lock.
You can choose from three colors; white, silver, or bronze. All doors are resistant to scratching, chipping, and fading. The door is available only in a large size of 18” by 55”. The sliding panel measures 13” by 20”.
- Accommodates dogs up to 125 pounds and all cats. Hardened ABS panel slides up and down like a mini electronic garage door. Waterproof collar key weighs less than an ounce, does not require batteries and snaps on your dog's collar.
- Child and dog child safe, will not close if obstructed. Door is always securely locked with a ¼ inch stainless steel deadbolt when inactive.
- Comes with two PDE collar keys. Easy to add or change thousands of codes with one touch programming. Set timing for how long door is open. Will not interfere with underground fences or home security systems.
- Installs into stud, brick, block or cement walls up to 12 inches thick. Available in white or bronze. Hardened aluminum frames have a baked on powder coated finish. Durable and scratch resistant just like the appliances in your home.
- Manufactured in the U.S.A. and comes with a five year limited residential warranty.
- Anti-close timing system
- Comes with 2 RFID collar keys
- Adjustable sensor distance
- Five-year warranty
- Comes with heavy steel lock and steel security plate
- Comes in only one size
What’s an Electronic Dog Door?
A dog door is a small opening that lets your dog go in and out of your house with ease. It’s a pretty basic and straightforward concept, which can be installed either into a wall or door.
Electronic dog doors, however, take it one step further. By providing more options and better features, you get a more convenient way for your dog to come and go as he pleases.
How Does an Electronic Dog Door Work?
Even though all electronic dog doors are based on the same concept, some differences set them apart. For example, you can set a timer, or program some doors to open only for one of your pets and not the other.
This is all done with the help of an ID microchip embedded in your dog or a SmartKey collar. The sensor on the door gets a signal from the transmitter located on the collar or microchip. Then, the opening mechanism is initiated.
Q: How do I know the best size for a dog door?
A: First, you need to measure your dog. Then, check the manufacturer’s website to match your dog’s size with the right door size.
Q: Can I install my electronic dog door myself?
A: This depends on how much time and money you want to save. All dog doors come with user manuals and many come with installation videos. Then there’s YouTube, which has an endless array of DIY videos.
It’s worth mentioning that most dog doors require handiwork. So installation may be too difficult to do on your own.
An electronic dog door opener is a practical way for your dog to let himself in and out. Besides giving him more freedom and independence, it also gives you peace of mind.
These automatic doors have taken the traditional pet door and boosted it to a higher standard. Now, you can have more convenience, added safety, and a greater level of comfort for both you and your dog.
Our top pick is the High Tech Pet Power Pet PX-2. It’s highly versatile and reliable. With several high-quality features and sizes to choose from, this dog door is sure to make your pooch happy with his new-found freedom.