Dog monitor collars are the perfect device for pet owners who want to keep track of their dogs location and fitness. The collar can be used on a variety of breeds and it will allow owners to know where their dog is at all times.
These collars come with a variety of features like alarm you when your dog leaves a defined safe area, find them when they are lost, and track total exercise and distance covered.
Note: If you click some of the links or pictures in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Table of Contents
- Top Pick GPS Tracker
- Small and Lightweight GPS Tracker
- Best High End GPS Tracker
- Best Virtual GPS Fence with Alerts
- Best Fitness Tracker (With GPS)
- Best Budget Fitness Tracker (No GPS)
- Best Fashionable GPS and Activity Tracker
- Best Fitness and GPS Tracker With On-Demand Vet
- Is There Such a Thing as a Dog Fitbit?
- Can I Track My Dog With My Phone?
Top Pick GPS Tracker
The Tracki 2021 takes the spot for top pick due to its many features and durability. It comes with a waterproof tracker that is attached to a waterproof dog collar.
The battery lasts for a few days even when using it heavily. Without using its 1-5 minute tracking mode, the battery can extend over two months without needing to be recharged. The battery is rechargeable.
This GPS tracks locations in both the US and across the world.
- Unlimited distance real time tracking. Monthly fee is required. Full USA & all countries worldwide coverage. International SIM card included. Track Vehicles, Cars, trucks, Children, dogs, elderly, motorcycle, ATV, boat, equipment, tools, assets, car fleets, valuable belonging. Monthly fee of 19.95USD is required. Also available prepaid long-term plans for 16.60, 13.95 or 9.95USD. (See more details about the monthly fee at the end of the big paragraph)
- Tracki is super small (1.75x1.5x0.55in) and super light (1.26 oz). Comes with embedded built in SIM card included and works worldwide. Included attachments: Strong magnet, Dog collar water resistant silicone cover, Belt clip, Key-chain, lanyard. 5 years history. We believe customer is King and provide live 7 days a week phone advisors.
- Rechargeable battery life is 2-3 days (the more it moves the lesser the days) tracking real time every 1-5 minutes. If real time tracking is not needed, battery lasts 30-75 days tracking 1-3 times per day (using battery save mode). Optional accessory (not included ASIN B07YVNV82V) comes with 6 times longer life 3,500mAh battery + magnetic waterproof box, extends battery life to 2 weeks at 1 min update and up to 10 months tracking once a day
- Works with GPS satellites when outdoors as primary tracking technology and when indoors Wi-Fi as a secondary backup tracking. Tracki listens to nearby Wi-Fi routers MAC ID, matching IDs to Wi-Fi database for accurate location when GPS is not available. See the tracking live on the map including compatible with Google Street view. Get real-time alerts when the tracker crosses a Geo-fence zone you set. Receive SOS, low battery, speeding, start moving alerts via App notification, SMS or email
- Lifetime warranty including lost or damaged devices. Tracki is cutting-edge & easy to set up working out-of-the-box within a few minutes. Tracki comes included with highly rated smart phone Apps compatible with: Android, iOS and all Internet browsers. Monthly fee of 19.95USD is required. Also available prepaid long-term plans for 16.60, 13.95 or 9.95USD
- Great customer service
- High-quality tracking capabilities
- Customizable tracking durations
- Need to pay for a monthly service
Small and Lightweight GPS Tracker
The CUBE tracker is a tiny tracker that is extremely light and can be used to track practically anything. One of the interesting features of this tracker is that you can connect it with the rest of the CUBE community. This enables anyone to help you find your missing dog.
It’s also multi-functional. It can be used to take photos and help you locate your phone.
Another great aspect of this phone is that you don’t have to toss it out when the battery dies. You can buy another battery and easily replace it yourself.
- With Crowd Find Attach CUBE to anything and Let the Cube Community be your Search Party
- Taking family photos? Use CUBE as a shutter button for your phone camera
- Lost your Phone? Use your CUBE to locate your phone with ring, vibrate, and flash, even if the app is not running
- No need to replace CUBE each year. Just replace battery yourself once a year. Extra battery included
- Simple CUBE Tracker app will show last known location on a map, uses bluetooth to tell if you are near or far, press find and CUBE will ring. Also has a separation alarm to alert you if you left something behind.
- Small and comfortable to wear for dogs
- Lights up in the dark
- Battery lasts a long time
- Can only be linked to one thing at a time
Best High End GPS Tracker
If you don’t mind buying an expensive tracker, then you need the PetFon Pet GPS tracker. It comes loaded with features and one of the best things about it is that you don’t have to pay a monthly fee. A single purchase is all you need to make.
This tracker is rainproof to ensure you don’t worry about it short-circuiting while on your dog. It can track over 3.5 miles in an open environment.
Using the app, you can program certain voice commands for the tracker to recognize. It utilizes WIFI, GPS, and Bluetooth to accurately pinpoint your dog’s location.
- 🐕NO MONTHLY FEE, ANTI-LOST RADAR SERCHING: Petfon GPS tracker is free of any service fee or monthly fee.The small, durable, and rainproof device allows you to track your pet's activity and pinpoint his/her location in real time. Petfon GPS tracker combines GPS, WiFi, bluetooth, and long distance wireless technologies for accurate real-time positioning.The unique Rada serching feature can help you find the direction of the lost dogs.
- 🐕REAL-TIME & LONG DISTANCE TRACKING: Petfon GPS Tracker is easy to install and use. Just download the Petfon app and follow the instructions. With the app, you can view your pet's activities and pinpoint his location at any time. The tracking ranges can be up to 0.65 miles in downtown/dense space and 3.5 miles in an open environment. But it will be effected by surarroundings.
- 🐕GEOFENCING,MULTICOLOR ALERT,CUSTOMIZABLE VOICE COMMAND: With Petfon GPS tracker you can define a safe area around your pet's location and get notified instantly if your pet leaves that area. You can also activate the colorful lights on the GPS tracker to locate your pet more easily in dim light or at night time. Voice commands can be recorded and stored on the tracker to communicate with your pets remotely.
- 🐕LONG STANDBY BATTERY,LIGHT WEIGHT & RAINPROOF: The Petfon GPS tracker is small and durable (42mm*42mm*18mm, Weight: 27.6g). The rainproof feature enables it to work in wet weather but do not working for swimming. Petfon GPS Tracker's battery can last up to 8-16 hours and comes with a compact charging station. It can recharge the device multiple times, which is perfect for going off the grid.
- 🐕Different from Petfon1, Petfon2 is blue rather than grey, and it is sturdier and more dirt resistant. Petfon2 firmware and software have been optimized so it is more sensitive & stable. The tracking distance is 15% further and the initial positioning time is 10 seconds shorter than Petfon1, which makes the tracking quicker and more accurate.
- Receive an alarm when your dog leaves the safe area
- Waterproof and durable
- Battery lasts up to 4 days
- Battery may die quickly
Best Virtual GPS Fence with Alerts
The Tractive LTE allows you to create a virtual fence through the app. Whenever your dog leaves the fenced area, you receive an alarm. This is a great tool for homeowners with an invisible fence. If your dog does make it past the fence, then you’re immediately alerted.
The GPS tracker performs both live tracking and will give you a location history.
It’s lightweight and small which makes it ideal for dog collars. It’s also waterproof.
- LIVE TRACKING & LOCATION HISTORY - Follow your furry friend's every step in real-time on your phone. See where your dog has been and what they've been up to.
- VIRTUAL FENCE - Mark safe spaces, like your garden, and know the moment your dog leaves one - and when they come back safely.
- ALL-DAY ACTIVITY MONITORING - Track active time, rest and calories burned. Set fitness goals. Keep your buddy in great shape with Tractive GPS for dogs.
- SMALL, LIGHTWEIGHT & 100% WATERPROOF - Running through the forest, rolling in the mud or a dip in the lake are no problem for Tractive.
- WORLDWIDE LOCATION TRACKING - Use your GPS tracker for dogs throughout the USA, Canada and 150 other countries. Manage all features via the free Tractive GPS app for iOS and Android or in any browser.
- Update every 2-3 seconds with live tracking
- Can tell you number of calories burned
- GPS connects to best mobile networks around
- Subscription plan required
Best Fitness Tracker (With GPS)
The FitBark 2 can tell you useful information about your dog’s fitness while also informing you about the distance they’ve traveled. You’re able to monitor how much your dog has slept, the number of calories they’ve burned, and their overall health.
The tracker is also built with long battery life. It can last up to six months on a single charge.
You can use the tracker to monitor your dog’s health and ensure they maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- 🐾 ACTIVITY. Monitor activity, sleep quality, distance, calorie balance and overall health & behavior 24/7. Set ideal goals vs. breed, age & weight peers. Add multiple dogs and owners in our apps. iOS 12+ or Android 6+ required.
- 🔋 BATTERY. Exceptional battery life up to 6 months. Worry less about recharging and more about bonding with your pup! Lightweight (10 g). Fits dogs of any size and most collars up to 1.5” wide. Tough, rugged and waterproof.
- 👩⚕️ HEALTH. Catch early signs of discomfort or disease. Monitor mobility, anxiety and skin conditions through changes in the FitBark Health Index and Sleep Score. Invite your trainer or veterinarian to review FitBark data.
- 🏃♀️ MOTIVATION. Works with your Fitbit, Apple Watch, Apple HealthKit or Google Fit wearable device or smartphone. Compare stats side by side and start building healthy & safe habits together. FitBark Clock Face available on the Fitbit Gallery.
- 🎓 SCIENCE. Trusted by 100+ veterinary schools & research institutions that strive to advance science, including the University of Cambridge and the Mayo Clinic. Join users from 140+ countries in advocating for safer and better informed dog parenting.
- Light and waterproof
- Tested and used by researchers in Mayo Clinic
- Can monitor for stress and anxiety
- Not capable of tracking location
Best Budget Fitness Tracker (No GPS)
The PitPat dog fitness tracker enables you to track your dog’s health based on its specific breed. It comes loaded with information about different breeds and their healthy weights and lifestyles. This can give you an idea of the goals you should make for your dog.
It was designed by vets and gives you useful information about your dog’s rest, calories, and the distance they’ve traveled in a day. The tracker can be placed on practically any kind of collar and is durable.
The battery can last up to a year.
- Keep your dog healthy and have fun together. Designed with vets. Works with easy-to-use app.
- Accurately measures and displays daily dog exercise and rest, distance and calories. Manages weight.
- Get personal breed-specific recommendations. Set and track goals. Win fun achievement badges.
- Fits any dog and collar/harness. Super-robust, feather-light, comfortable and fully-waterproof.
- Ultra-long (1+ years) user-replaceable battery (CR2032) included. No recharging, ever.
- Completely waterproof and built for tough use
- Battery is replaceable and cheap
- No subscription fees
- Only works when you’re close to your dog
Best Fashionable GPS and Activity Tracker
If you want to track your dog and have them look great, then you need the Link AKC tracker. It’s made of leather and comes in two different colors. Both look stylish and hide the fact that your dog is wearing a tracker.
The tracker also comes with fitness goals for your dog. They’re based on your dog’s breed.
The collar lights up in the dark to ensure you’re able to see your dog at all times of the day. You can also store your vet information in the app for easy access.
- Service plan: link akc is like a smart phone for your dog & requires service plan connectivity to allow data to be transmitted. Includes an extended , A size , and access to the pet Poison Helpline, a 24/7 animal Poison control center
- Location tracking nationwide in United States: know your dog's location with fast and accurate GPS tracking enabled by the AT&T cellular network (service plan required). Be alerted if your dog leaves designated safe zones
- Activity monitoring and sound training: activity goals are customized by akc to your dog's age, breed, and size to allow for accurate daily activity monitoring. Remote turn-on sound to help with training.Adventures feature: record, remember, and share special walks, hikes, and other adventures with your dog.Safety Features: temperature alerts if your dog's environment is too hot or cold. Led light on collar with remote turn-on LED light to see and be seen. Vet Records can be stored in app to make dog ownership easier with a place to store important Records.Waterproof and fashionable: we have you covered for up to 30 minutes in 3ft of water in our lightweight collar that is curved to naturally fit the contours of your dogs neck.Age Range Description: All Life Stages.Included Components: Tracking Unit Base Station Carrier Unit Charging Cable Collar (Size Large)
- Uses GPS to track your dog
- Can save and share hiking trails and vet information
- Offers light and sound alarms
- Service plan is required
Best Fitness and GPS Tracker With On-Demand Vet
You always have a vet on hand with the Whistle Go Explore tracker. You’re able to track your dog’s location through GPS. You can also keep track of their health through the tracker. It tells you how active they’ve been, the number of calories they’ve burned, and the distance they’re traveled.
You’re also able to contact a vet whenever you need them.
You can keep track of your dog’s health and forward it to your personal vet as well.
- Subscription required. Covers connection to AT&T 4G LTE-M network for GPS location in the US. Yearly $8.25/mo. 30-Day Free Trial.
- Location Tracking. Set up alerts and quickly locate your pet, whether they’ve made a sneaky escape, or are 3,000 miles away. Receive notifications if your pet's location leaves a designated safe area. Using AT&T nationwide network and Google maps, this collar can track your dog’s location with 15 second updates. Requires Wi-Fi connection.
- Health, Nutrition, & Activity Tracking. Monitor activity levels, calories, distance, and activity, along with behaviors like licking, scratching, and sleeping to keep an eye on potential health problems. Get recommendations on food portions based on activity levels, breed, age, and weight. Email a 30-day report to your vet.
- 20 - Day Battery, Built - In Night Light. Use the app to choose between 3 safety night light settings, slow flash, fast flash or always on. The long-lasting battery goes up to 20 days on a single charge for your greatest adventures.
- Chat With A Vet. Your Whistle subscription gives you access to on-demand veterinary help through chat, phone or email––right from the Whistle app. Powered by the VETINSIGHT team of licensed veterinary professionals, you'll get expert advice and guidance from the comfort of your home.
- 20 day battery life
- Can keep track of skin allergies
- Alerts you when dog leaves safe area
- Subscription required
Is There Such a Thing as a Dog Fitbit?
A Fitbit is basically a fitness tracker. It tells you useful information about the calories you’ve burned, how far you’ve traveled, and it can store your fitness goals. Certain dog fitness trackers can do the same thing.
A dog fitness tracker keeps track of their heart rate which can also tell you if they’re stressed or anxious.
A fitness tracker isn’t always the same thing as a GPS tracker. Some do combine the two together. Others don’t.
Can I Track My Dog With My Phone?
Certain trackers can be used on your phone. Any tracker that uses an app, like the Tracki, CUBE, PetFon, Tractive, FitBark, Link, and the Whistle Explore Go trackers has this capability. They often require a subscription plan to access their other features.