A dog door can be installed in either a wall or a door. An installation in a door is going to be an easier job, typically cheaper, and the most common type of installation. The ideal location of a dog door is mostly dependent on the needs of the animal, whether in a wall or a door, it must provide safe and reasonable access in and out of the house.
The following article answers the most common questions about putting dog doors in walls and doors, including how to install a dog door into a wall with studs and options for installing dog doors in glass doors.
Table of Contents
- Why is it easier to install a dog door into a door than a wall?
- Why is it important to consult a professional when installing a dog door in a wall?
- What factors determine the type of dog door that I need?
- How much does it typically cost to install a dog door in a door?
- How much does it typically cost to install a dog door in a wall?
- How much does a dog door kit usually cost?
- What kind of door can you install a dog door in?
- Are there doors with preinstalled dog doors?
- What kind of wall can I install a dog door in?
- How do you install a dog door into a wall with studs?
- Can I cut a glass panel to install a dog door?
- How do I install a doggie door in a glass door without cutting the glass?
- What are the best pet doors for walls?
Why is it easier to install a dog door into a door than a wall?
Walls are thick and immobile, while doors are much easier to cut and work with when you can take them off the hinges. Doors are easily replaceable if you must remove the dog door, and you also pose the risk of damaging you house if you install a dog door in the wall improperly.
Why is it important to consult a professional when installing a dog door in a wall?
Installing a dog door in a wall requires you to work with the foundation of the house. If not done right, you can cause damage to your home, which can decrease your home’s worth.
Damage can include:
- Foundation cracks
- Rotting exterior walls due to water damage from leaks
- Air leaks causing drafts
What factors determine the type of dog door that I need?
Each dog door installation project is different depending on factors including:
- Size of the dog
- Location of the dog door
- Type of material being installed into
- Insulation and Weatherproofing requirements
- The style of dog door (Basic flap or electronic)
How much does it typically cost to install a dog door in a door?
The price of the project will be highly dictated by the factors listed above. According to installation experts, the average price to install a medium sized dog door for a small dog in an exterior door is around $300.
How much does it typically cost to install a dog door in a wall?
It is going to be more expensive to install a dog door in a wall because the units are more expensive, and it is best to hire a professional. According to experts, an installation technician will usually charge somewhere between $50 to $100, plus the price of the unit. This makes the job price range from $400 to $1600 depending on the wall material.
How much does a dog door kit usually cost?
The average price for a modern dog door kit is around $300, but prices can range from $150 for the most basic models, to $1,500 for extra large electronic dog doors.
FREE Training… Is your dog easily distracted? Do they sometimes ignore your commands? If so you need to try the Airplane Game to quickly get their attention no matter what’s distracting them. Click to get this FREE 5-min training NOW!
What kind of door can you install a dog door in?
You can install a dog door in any door, interior or exterior. The exterior doors can be made of wood, metal, or fiberglass; and can be insulated or non-insulated.
Are there doors with preinstalled dog doors?
There are countless options for doors with dog doors already installed. They tend to be much pricier than typical doors but might be worth it if you don’t want to take on the project yourself.
What kind of wall can I install a dog door in?
You can install a dog door in a wall that is made from stud, brick, block, or even cement, as long as the wall is not thicker than 12 inches. The it very important to find the correct kit for the wall type.
How do you install a dog door into a wall with studs?
- Locate the place and height of the dog door between the studs.
- Measure and make a template from the specifications of your specific kit.
- Cut and remove all material within the template area, including drywall, insulation, and exterior siding.
- Install the dog door kit according to its specific directions.
- Insulate and weatherproof the new construction.
- Re-install the siding and trim the new dog door on the inside and outside.
Can I cut a glass panel to install a dog door?
It is not recommended that you cut into a glass panel because it will most likely cause the glass to crack or shatter. Cutting into double-paned glass is especially difficult, and most glass sliding doors are double- paned. Professionals should be hired if this job needs to be done because they have special tools and training allowing them a greater chance of success.
How do I install a doggie door in a glass door without cutting the glass?
There are many options when installing a dog door in a glass door without cutting the glass. They all depend on the scope of the project and each one comes with its own pros and cons.
The following are options to install a doggie door in a glass door:
- Patio Panel – A specialized panel with a dog door that you install in your existing sliding glass door. This is the absolute easiest way to install a dog door on a sliding glass door.
- Special ordered glass panel – There are glass panels with dog doors that you can special order to replace the existing glass in whatever style glass door that you have.
- Glass door with pre-installed dog door – Another option is to replace the entire door unit with a new unit that has a dog door already installed in the glass, but there is a lot of work, time, and cost associated with replacing an entire door unit.
What are the best pet doors for walls?
There are many brands that offer dog doors for walls, and your local hardware store should be able to help you find the best fit for your project. The most important thing is that the unit is energy-efficient, wind and weatherproof, secure, and sturdy. Choose a higher end model if you don’t want to replace it as often.