Table of Contents
Top Pick Dog Harness for the Car
Note: If you click some of the links in this article we may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you.
Our top pick for the very best dog harness for your car is the new Kurgo Tru-Fit Enhanced Strength Dog Harness. This handy new dog harness has been specially designed to give your dog the ultimate level of comfort and convenience. It will give you peace of mind knowing your dog is truly safe as you drive with them to your destination.
The harness comes with a wide range of features that are well worth getting to know. These include a quick release system, a tether to keep the harness attached safely to your car, and D rings for instant adjustment. All of the buckles you will need are included. They are made of steel to give the harness the maximum level of durability.
- CRASH TESTED & SAFE: Most broadly sold crash tested harness; crash tested at a university testing facility following child car seat standards; enhanced strength harness is crash tested for dogs up to 75 lbs
- ADJUSTABLE & COMFORTABLE: Five adjustment points for customizable fit on dogs of all shapes and sizes; broad, padded chest plate for extra protection and comfort
- DOG SEAT BELT TETHER INLCUDED: Dog tether (seat belt loop with attached carabiner) is included and compatible with any car seat belt system and can also be used as a lead for training
- SIZING & FIT: Medium size fits dogs with 16 to 25-inch neck, 118 to 28-inch chest; see size chart to the left for further details
- The harness is made of top-rated materials for maximum strength and endurance
- Designed to fit dogs with neck size of 16 to 25 inches and a chest size of 18 to 28 inches
- Backed by a full warranty of guaranteed quality that comes directly from the manufacturer
- Recommended for smaller and medium breeds rather than larger breeds
- Crash tested for dogs up to 75 pounds in weight but may not be appropriate for dogs who weigh more
Top Pick Dog Harness for Larger Dogs
The new SlowTon Dog Car Harness is the perfect new dog harness for larger breeds. The harness wraps around the dog’s body and neck which could be instead of a collar. This is a harness that has been specially designed with a set of durable straps that will tighten up securely so your dog can’t wander loosely in the vehicle. It’s also designed to eliminate pulling.
There are a pair of buckles on the chest that make it very easy to adjust to your dog. Once inside, the harness fully supports your dog so that it can be safe in your vehicle as you move. There are also four adjusting buttons on the unit itself. These will contribute to the ease with which you can slip your dog into the harness.
- New Match and Well Made --- Breathable Mesh Chest Vest Harness Strap: it’s made of the double mesh fabric with the flannelette edge, attached to four PP material strap, which will absorb sweat and feel breathable when your pet dog wear it. Elastic Safety Seat Belt: it’s made from durable nylon strap to protect the dog which is elastic and adjustable for the car vehicle.
- Suitable and Humanized Design --- Breathable mesh chest vest harness would relieve the pressure. It is adjustable depending on how much lead way you need to plug into your cars seatbelt it fit perfect definitely.The included seat belt was long enough to let him move in the back seat and lay down.
- Keeping Safe and Comfortable --- The harness wraps around dog’s body and neck which could be instead of a collar. The straps tighten up securely so dogs cannot roam the car to prevent dogs from hopping into the front seat, but they don't pull against them.
- Easy to Use and Quick Release --- There are two buckle on the chest part, which make the harness easy to put on and no need dogs to step in. And the four adjust loops on the harness strap, can be easily adjusted to make dog pals feel comfortable, and suitable for all small, medium and large size dogs, or even kitten cats and medium cats. The seat belt is also adjustable, easy to hook up both in the car and trunk.
- Wide and Further Application --- The harness can be used as a travel harness in the car to prevent dogs jumping out the window when go driving around. It also can be use a regular harness connects with the retractable dog leash as a regular harness.
- Extremely lightweight, compact, and durable
- Fully adjustable to fit the needs of your larger dog
- The harness is made of top materials including nylon and double mesh fabric
- Made for the needs of larger, rather than smaller or medium, species.
- Make sure you measure your dog before buying this harness to make sure it will perfectly fit their needs
What is the Best Way to Secure a Dog in the Car?
There are several methods that you can make use of to keep your dog safe and secure in your car. The first thing you will need to do is choose the right type of dog harness for their needs. This will depend on several factors, including their size and weight. Larger dogs will need a much larger harness to keep them safe.
You can make use of special dog travel crates or kennels while transporting your dog. These are especially useful if you are traveling in a larger vehicle, such as an RV. You can also use smaller harnesses for taking your dog on vacation or to the vet. These are recommended by pet care experts as well as dog owners across the nation.
For sheer convenience, a dog harness is probably the best way to go. These are ideal for short trips. They double as harness units that you can safely walk your dog with. While inside the vehicle, they attach to your in-built features to keep your dog from moving around too freely. This is their ultimate guarantee of safety.
Is it Law to Have a Dog Harness in a Car?
You should be aware that the United States Federal government, as well as governments in many states, have taken a tough line on animal car seat and harness protection. Since 2009, there have been a great many laws passed that touch on concerns of this type. The laws, including possibly those in your state, have gotten much stricter.
In the state of New Jersey, police officers can issue a fine to anyone who is caught transporting a dog in a car in an incorrect manner. Similar laws have been passed in states all over the nation. It’s a good idea to check the laws in your own state to see if laws like this one apply. It’s also smart to save up to buy a dog harness.
There are also several laws recently enacted in various states that apply to the improper restraint of dogs. In other words, it isn’t enough just to restrain them while bringing them into your car. You will need to use the safe and proper means to do so. Check the laws in your state to view the exact definition of dog travel safety.
How Do You Secure a Dog in a Car With a Harness?
Keeping your dog safe while traveling in a car is an operation that will require several steps. A normal dog harness will fit snugly over the head of your pet. You can attach it around their chest and upper torso. The seat belt of your car will then slip through the harness. This is how you can secure the harness to the car.
The idea is to combine a normal dog safety harness with the seat belt of your car to provide the ultimate level of safety. The two features working in tandem will keep your dog from roaming around and getting in the way as you attempt to drive. It will also give your dog protection in case you get into an accident.