Dog Ate Ibuprofen 3 Days Ago: Vet Time? (Solved & Explained!)

Even the most fastidious of dog owners can make a mistake every now and then. All it takes is one slip up and you forgot that bottle of ibuprofen on the kitchen table. It just so happens that your dog can stretch high enough to reach and now you have a problem. 

Even if it has been three days since your dog ate ibuprofen, it’s still advisable to get your canine checked out by a veterinarian. The reason is that ibuprofen can have a delayed response in your dog that can take three days in some cases. 

There are some medications that are perfectly fine for both human and dog consumption and others that should be completely off the table for your canine companion at all times. Ibuprofen is one of those medicines that should never be left out around your dog. 

What Will Happen if Your Dog Eats Ibuprofen?

There are a lot of nasty symptoms that can follow if your dog ingests ibuprofen, especially if your dog accidentally ingests several of them. It can be a serious danger to your dog’s life if you disregard it.

  • Sudden and severe decrease in urine output
  • Seizures
  • Coma
  • Death
  • Loss of appetite
  • Blood in their feces
  • Vomiting (with blood)
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea and lack of coordination
  • Stomach ulcers
  • Sudden weight loss
  • Black stools

There aren’t any things on this list that are good news for you and the best thing that you can do, even if three days have passed without any noticeable symptoms, is to take your dog to the vet. This includes any brand of Ibuprofen, such as Advil or generic brands. 

Ibuprofen isn’t always kind to the human body either, especially when it comes to causing ulcers. When taken in large doses, the chance for an ulcer increases. In dogs, it is so much worse. 

Some dog owners may even administer ibuprofen to their dogs, accidentally assuming that it will work for them in the same way that it works for us. This is understandable, especially considering the fact that there are many medications that humans and dogs can use interchangeably. 

Unfortunately, ibuprofen is as liable to kill your dog as help it. 

How Does A Veterinarian Diagnose Ibuprofen Ingestion?

The first thing that your vet will do is pummel you with questions and you should never take offense to such. The thing is, when ibuprofen begins acting in your dog’s internal system, it can move quickly and it’s imperative that your vet gets all of the information he/she needs to make a proper diagnosis, and quickly. 

VIDEO Reveals… Does Your Dog Have Bad Breath? If so they could be on the path to other problems. Find out if your dog has a problem and see a 5 second daily ritual you can do to stop it. Click to watch this FREE video NOW!

Once you’re done filing the vet in with all of the answers you can give them, they will then start administering tests. Your vet might run a number of them as well, so don’t be surprised. This is definitely the course of action they will take if you are unsure.

Both blood and urine tests will be the first order of the day and the good news is, that these tests will be able to determine if ibuprofen toxicity is the underlying cause of your dog’s issues and if you need to be concerned. 

Your vet will also check their gastrointestinal system, along with running some neurological tests as well. Do not be afraid to tell your veterinarian that you think your dog may have ingested ibuprofen, even if you were the one that administered it. 

Everybody makes mistakes and it’s not as if you would rush your dog to the veterinarian if you were trying to cause it any harm.

What Kind of Treatment Will a Vet Provide?

Treatment depends on both the severity of the dog’s reaction and how long its been since the dog ingested the ibuprofen. If it was ingested very recently, your veterinarian will probably induce vomiting as the first order of business. That way your dog no longer has any of the stuff sitting around in its belly. 

A vet will typically use a drug called apomorphine to make your dog regurgitate all of the contents in its belly. There are ways to induce vomiting at home using hydrogen peroxide but unless you know what you are doing, you should leave it up to an experienced vet to take care of that.

Your vet may also administer activated charcoal. This is something that your dog will ingest as well and the charcoal will go to work absorbing everything that’s in your dog’s belly in much the same way as a sponge.

This is usually done after the vomiting has been induced, that way the activated charcoal is basically ensuring that there is nothing else behind that can do any lasting damage. In a worst-case scenario, they will pump the dog’s stomach. 

Kidney Damage

It’s possible that your dog could suffer some kidney damage from ingesting ibuprofen. If the vet discovers that this is the case, they will have to treat it with fluid therapy and potentially blood or plasma transfusions. 

VIDEO Reveals… Does Your Dog Have Bad Breath? If so they could be on the path to other problems. Find out if your dog has a problem and see a 5 second daily ritual you can do to stop it. Click to watch this FREE video NOW!

Prescriptions

If the vet has to treat kidney damage, the potential for a lot of medications in the short term increases. However, for the most part, your vet will probably just prescribe medication to reduce your dog’s nausea and control the vomiting that the vet or yourself induced. 

Gastric Perforations and Ulcers

Both of these are distinct possibilities if your dog gets into some ibuprofen. If the ulcer is bad enough or a gastric perforation occurs, your veterinarian will have to put your canine friend through corrective surgery to fix the problem.

As you can see, the fallout from your dog consuming ibuprofen can get pretty bad, pretty quickly. It’s important that you never leave ibuprofen anywhere that it might be accessible to your dog. 

All Things Considered

Ibuprofen and dogs do not mix in any way, shape, form, or manner. The best way to keep your dog from ever having access to it is to keep it securely bottled and placed well out of your furry friend’s reach at all times.