Dog Ate Hershey Kisses: What Now? (Solved & Explained!)

Dogs come in all shapes and sizes, and they’re one of the most popular pets in the United States. With that in mind, taking care of a dog comes with all sorts of risks to monitor. One of those risks is what they eat, like chocolate. What do you do if your dog ate a Hershey kiss?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs because of their digestive system. They can’t handle substances such as caffeine and theobromine well. They can’t have foods like Hershey kisses. If they show symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea, or they ate a lot of kisses, then take your dog to the vet. If it’s a small portion, don’t worry about it unless they show symptoms.

The rest of this article will cover why chocolate is toxic to dogs, how to prevent them from eating Hershey kisses, what to do if they eat Hershey kisses, the side effects of a dog eating Hershey kisses, and a brief conclusion.

Why Chocolate Is Toxic To Dogs

Inside chocolate, there’s ingredients that can harm a dog’s digestive system. How harmful it is depends on how much the dog digests, but no matter the dog breed or size, a large portion of chocolate is dangerous to them. You shouldn’t let your dog eat chocolate in any situation.

If you look at what chocolate is made from, you’ll see it has a group of substances known as methylxanthines. In simpler terms, this substance contains caffeine and theobromine. Theobromine is the main factor here since there’s more of it in chocolate than caffeine.

Like caffeine, theobromine is a heart stimulant. The effects are the same in humans and dogs; however, there’s one key difference. Unlike dogs, humans can break down the theobromine quickly. Our digestive systems can break it down in 2-3 hours.

Compare this to dogs, who can break down theobromine in about 18 hours. The difference leads to chocolate being harmful and toxic to dogs. When they can’t digest it, the effects last longer. They can’t digest it at the same speed, which means it makes them hyperactive.

To spot if your dog is suffering from the chocolate, you need to look out for the following symptoms: vomiting, excessive drooling, increased thirst and body temperature, diarrhea, high heart rate, hyperactivity, pacing, and in severe cases dogs will show signs like cardiac failure.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

How To Prevent Your Dog From Eating Hershey Kisses

It’s impossible to watch your dog at all times. Therefore, you need to take precautions to make sure you’ll never be in a position where your dog can eat Hershey kisses. First, you should keep all chocolate on the highest surface you can. That way it’ll be out of their reach.

Keep it in a sealable bag, like Ziploc, so it’s harder for them to chew through if they manage to get their claws on it. If you don’t have a high shelf, try keeping it behind closed doors, like in a pantry, drawer, or in the fridge. This is the best way to hide Hershey kisses from your dog.

If none of those options appeal to you, put it far back on a counter, or behind something. For example, try keeping your bag of kisses hidden behind your microwave, or behind your toaster oven. Hide it behind something sturdy that you’ll hear moving if your dog tries to get food.

Be mindful of any Hershey kisses you drop while you’re eating them. Don’t let your dog get the wrapper. Not only will there be chocolate residue on the wrapper, but you shouldn’t let your dog eat the foil anyway. Make sure each wrapper is in the trash and out of their reach.

What To Do If Your Dog Ate Hershey Kisses

First, you have to determine how much they ate. What you should do varies based on what type of chocolate they ate, and how much of it they ate. To begin, see what type of Hershey’s kisses they ate. Was it milk, semi-sweet, or dark chocolate?

The reason this is important is because the darker and more bitter the chocolate is, the more toxicity it brings your dog. For example, if your dog ate five milk chocolate kisses, then you have nothing to worry about. If they ate five dark chocolate kisses, that’s more worrying.

You shouldn’t worry if your dog eats a couple milk chocolate Hershey kisses. However, if you’re not sure how much they ate, or they ate multiple kisses that were dark chocolate, then you should monitor their symptoms. They’ll occur after 6 to 12 hours of digestion.

There is no specific antidote for chocolate poisoning. The way vets treat it is to neutralize the symptoms instead of going for the chocolate poisoning, also called chocolate toxicosis. The best you can do is take them to the vet and deal with the symptoms as they come.

Treatment will range from vomiting induction to hospitalization in severe cases. The severity of the case will determine which treatment your dog will need. If you’re on the fence about taking your dog to the vet, take them. It’s better to be safe than sorry.

Get Our #1 Easy, Homemade Dog Food Recipe (Vet-Approved), 100% Free!!! Click to get it NOW!

Conclusion

Hershey kisses are harmful to dogs because chocolate has toxic substances inside. There’s caffeine and theobromine in methylxanthines, which are ingredients in chocolate. The human digestive system can break these down well, but for dogs, it’s slower and takes about 18 hours.

To prevent your dog from eating Hershey kisses, make sure to keep the bag of kisses on the highest shelf possible. For extra protection, put the kisses in a Ziploc bag, that way they’ll be harder to chew or scratch through if your dog gets their claws on it.

In case your dog eats Hershey kisses, determine what type of chocolate they ate, how much, and if they’re having symptoms. If they’re having symptoms and or ate a large sum of chocolate, take them to the vet. Watch for the side effects that your pet might have, like vomiting.