As more states are legalizing marijuana use, cases of pot edible consumption in pets have skyrocketed. Although you might think that pot is safe for your dog, the opposite is true. Pot edibles are incredibly dangerous for dogs to consume.
If your dog has ingested any pot edibles, contact your veterinarian right away. Pot edibles are toxic to dogs. Follow the vet’s treatment plan exactly, and do your best to keep pot edibles and other marijuana products far away from your dog.
To learn more about what to do if your dog consumes pot edibles, keep reading.
Table of Contents
Can Dogs Eat Pot Edibles?
No. Dogs should not eat pot edibles. Marijuana ingestion can lead to a number of harmful side effects in dogs, including falling, vomiting, coma, and sometimes death.
Not to mention, pot edibles are often incorporated into other foods, such as brownies. These other ingredients can also be toxic to dogs. Chocolate, for instance, is dangerous for dogs to eat in large quantities, and so are raisins.
So, make sure to keep pot edibles away from your dog. The marijuana in the pot edibles will cause an intense reaction in your dogs, and any other ingredients in the pot edibles may be dangerous as well. If your dog eats pot edibles, it’s important to contact your vet right away to ensure your dog gets the treatment it needs.
Are Pot Edibles Toxic To Dogs?
Yes. Pot edibles are toxic to dogs. THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, is toxic. Plus, many pot edibles contain other ingredients that are toxic to dogs, including raisins or chocolate. These toxic materials can lead to severe side effects in your dog.
Furthermore, dogs have way more cannabinoid receptors in their brains than humans. What this means is that they react more strongly to marijuana than humans do. As a result, just a little bit of THC can go a lot further in dogs than it can in humans.
Needless to say, pot edibles are incredibly toxic to dogs. The THC and other ingredients can be outright toxic, and the number of cannabinoid receptors in the dog’s brain means that they will react to the marijuana more strongly than humans.
Are Pot Edibles Deadly To Dogs?
Pot edibles are only deadly to dogs when consumed in large quantities. In most cases, dogs will only consume a little bit of THC or pot edibles. When this happens, dogs will likely experience many of the same symptoms you do, including drooling and lethargy, just to a more extreme state.
However, high amounts of THC are very dangerous in dogs. It can lead to intense vomiting. In some cases, this vomiting has been found to kill dogs through choking. A high amount of THC can also lead to coma and even death. Death associated with pot edibles primarily happens when the dog consumes large amounts, and the dog does not seek veterinary care.
If you get your dog to a veterinary clinic ASAP, your dog will likely be able to survive the pot edible consumption and get back to feeling normal within a couple of days. This further proves just how important it is to get your dog to a veterinarian if it consumes any amount of pot edibles.
Signs Your Dog Ingested Pot Edibles
It’s important to know the signs of THC consumption in dogs because of how dangerous side effects can be. Some signs that your dog has ingested pot edibles or another form of THC include:
- Uncoordinated movements
- Dilated pupils
- Bathroom accidents
- Difficulty breathing
- Rapid heart rate
If your dog experiences any of the symptoms above, it’s important to call a vet immediately because the side effects may gradually get worse and lead to coma or death.
What To Do If Your Dog Ingested Pot Edibles
Once you notice that your dog has consumed any amount of pot edibles, it’s important to act quickly. Side effects can begin kicking in as soon as 30 minutes after consumption. Here’s what to do if you know your dog has consumed pot edibles:
Take Your Pet To An Emergency Clinic
Call your vet or take your pet to an emergency clinic as soon as you realize your dog has ingested any form of marijuana. If your vet does not answer, just take your pet to an emergency vet ASAP. The veterinarian will be able to evaluate your dog and provide it with the care it needs.
Follow Vet’s Treatment
How your vet decides to treat the dog’s cannabis consumption varies from case to case. How much is consumed and the potency of the edible will change your vet’s recommended course of action.
If your dog was able to seek medical care right away, the veterinarian may decide to pump the dog’s stomach or induce vomiting. Activated charcoal may be used as well. These different methods will help to get the toxic chemicals out of the dog’s stomach as soon as possible.
In more severe cases, the veterinarian may need to keep the dog overnight and monitor vitals throughout the entire process. No matter what your veterinarian’s course of action is, follow their recommendations perfectly.
Prevention Is The Best Options
For future reference, prevention is the best medicine when it comes to dogs consuming pot edibles. It’s much easier to keep pot edibles away from your dog than treating pot edible consumption. Try to keep pot edibles in a safe location where your dog can’t get to them.
Even though pot edibles can be a safe way for humans to relax, the same cannot be said for dogs. All forms of cannabis are incredibly dangerous to dogs. If your dog consumes pot edibles, take your dog to an emergency clinic right away.
If your dog gets the medical treatment it needs, it will likely survive the incident, but the symptoms may not be pretty. Trust your vet and follow the recommendations to ensure your dog gets well.
For future reference, try to keep your pot edibles up so that your dog cannot get ahold of them. Prevention is the best method when it comes to cannabis and dogs.