Not to be confused with drinking a beer, the Chug dog is a mixed breed dog – a mix between the Chihuahua and the Pug. With humorous and loyal personalities, these dogs make for the perfect family pet and bring with them the best traits of their parents.
Table of Contents
- Is a Chihuahua Pug Mix a Good Mix?
- How Much Does a Chihuahua Pug Mix Cost?
- How Long Do Chihuahua Pug Mixes Live?
- Are Chihuahua Pug Mixes Easy to Train?
- Are Chihuahua Pug Mixes Aggressive?
- What Is the Best Age to Train a Chihuahua Pug Mix Puppy?
- How Do You Discipline a Chihuahua Pug Mix Puppy?
- What Is Bad About a Chihuahua Pug Mix?
- Can a Chihuahua Pug Mix Protect You?
- How Do You Bond With a Chihuahua Pug Mix?
- Can Chihuahua Pug Mixes Be Left Alone?
- Do Chihuahua Pug Mixes Like to Cuddle?
- Are Chihuahua Pug Mixes Lazy?
Is a Chihuahua Pug Mix a Good Mix?
Yes! If you are looking for a small dog, the Chihuahua Pug Mix could be the right dog for you. This loveable, affectionate dog will fit in perfectly with your family as they get along well with children.
Due to their small size, the Chihuahua Pug mix doesn’t need much exercise or food. They are happy with playtime and your company and are perfect companions for those with small houses or apartments.
How Much Does a Chihuahua Pug Mix Cost?
The cost to purchase a Chihuahua Pug depends on the pedigree of their parent breeds, supply and demand, paperwork, and much more. The average price breeders charge for a Chug is between $600 and $900.
While we always recommend you work with a responsible breeder, it’s even more important when buying mixed breed dogs like the Chug, as their parent breeds are prone to health conditions. A reliable breeder will guarantee their puppies are healthy and free of any inherited health conditions.
How Long Do Chihuahua Pug Mixes Live?
The average lifespan of a Chihuahua Pug mix is 10 to 13 years. If you keep up to date with regular veterinary appointments and vaccinations, your Chihuahua Pug could live up to 15 years.
Are Chihuahua Pug Mixes Easy to Train?
Chihuahua Pug mixes are incredibly intelligent dog breeds and learn quickly, making training them a walk in the park! They respond well to positive reinforcement training (praise, treats, rewards, and play), and, according to the American Canine Hybrid Club, it is best to keep training sessions short and fun, so your dog doesn’t get bored.
As Chihuahua Pugs can become more stubborn with age, it’s best to start training them early so they can benefit the most from training.
Are Chihuahua Pug Mixes Aggressive?
Although typically not aggressive, Chihuahua Pugs can be wary of strangers and other pets. As with any mixed-breed dog, the temperament you get can go either way. They may take the suspicious and yappy side from their Chihuahua parent, or you may get a loving, affectionate mix from their pug side.
Chihuahua Pugs are playful, loving, social, and loyal dogs that are generally well-behaved and make for a great addition to many homes and apartments.
What Is the Best Age to Train a Chihuahua Pug Mix Puppy?
It’s typically recommended by many dog trainers that you start to train your Chihuahua Pug mix when they are 6 months old. By training them early and getting them used to social contact, you can help to eliminate bad behaviors such as snapping and barking.
How Do You Discipline a Chihuahua Pug Mix Puppy?
Chihuahua Pug mixes can be stubborn little dogs, so it can sometimes be a struggle to get them to behave well. The best way to discipline your puppy is by reinforcing good behaviors and remaining calm yet firm with your dog when they have done something wrong. You should never be physical or shout at your dog.
What Is Bad About a Chihuahua Pug Mix?
For the most part, Chihuahua Pug mix dogs are a great breed, but there are a few cons to owning them.
- Can be prone to numerous health issues – unfortunately, the Pug and Chihuahua are renowned for having various health problems, including respiratory diseases. As they are a mixed breed, they are more prone to inheriting these health problems down the line, so they can cause you a significant amount in veterinary bills.
- Can be aggressive towards other dogs – the Chihuahua Pug mix may often try to assert dominance over other dogs, making them snappy and destructive.
Can a Chihuahua Pug Mix Protect You?
As they are small dogs, they, unfortunately, can’t protect you, but they do make great watchdogs thanks to the genes from their Chihuahua side. When faced with something unusual, they will bark to alert you of a potential threat.
How Do You Bond With a Chihuahua Pug Mix?
- Be patient – when it comes to bonding with your new furry family member, patience is key. It will come more naturally for some dogs, and for others, it may take a couple of weeks.
- Spend time with your dog – take your dog out for regular walks of 30 minutes or more and reward them for good behaviour.
- Play with your Chihuahua Pug mix – Chihuahua Pugs are affectionate animals and love attention, so taking the time out to play with your Chug is important. When your dog feels loved and important, they will bond with you.
- Train your dog – Chihuahua Pug mixes are highly intelligent, so mental stimulation will go a long way with them. Try training them early and ensure you provide positive reinforcement regularly.
- Cuddle them – Chihuahua Pug mixes have a cuddly personality and love nothing more than cuddling up next to you. Be sure to give them belly rubs, and you will be bonding in no time!
Can Chihuahua Pug Mixes Be Left Alone?
Leaving a Chihuahua Pug mix alone for an hour or two is usually fine, but they shouldn’t be left all day as this is when destructive behavior can arise. Chihuahua Pugs don’t need much entertainment. Your presence in the room is enough to make them happy.
Do Chihuahua Pug Mixes Like to Cuddle?
Yes! The great thing about Chihuahua Pug mixes is that they love to show affection and enjoy being cuddled. You will often hear Chihuahua Pugs referred to as “little shadow” as they love to follow their owners around and be near them.
Are Chihuahua Pug Mixes Lazy?
While Chihuahua Pug Mixes are prone to sleeping a lot, they’re not typically lazy and have lots of energy for playing and walks.