What is a Chihuahua Maltese Mix? A Chihuahua Maltese Mix is a Dog Breed Mix that breeds a Chihuahua with a Maltese. They will end up with some combo of their parent breeds’ characteristics and personalities.
Malchi is the common name used for Chihuahua Maltese Mix dogs. These small dogs are typically 12-14 inches tall and weigh 5-12 pounds.
Table of Contents
- Is a Chihuahua Maltese Mix a Good Mix?
- How Much Does a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Cost?
- How Long Do Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Live?
- Are Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Easy to Train?
- Are Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Aggressive?
- What Is the Best Age to Train a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Puppy?
- How Do You Discipline a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Puppy?
- What Is Bad About a Chihuahua Maltese Mix?
- Can a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Protect You?
- How Do You Bond With a Chihuahua Maltese Mix?
- Can Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Be Left Alone?
- Do Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Like to Cuddle?
- Are Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Lazy?
Is a Chihuahua Maltese Mix a Good Mix?
Chihuahua Maltese dogs are friendly, loving, and loyal. They are great family dogs for families with older children. They are also great dogs for single adults and the elderly.
Chihuahua Maltese mixes are great for people living in apartments. These small dogs do not need a lot of space. They can be high energy and will become attached to their owners.
How Much Does a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Cost?
The price of a Chihuahua Maltese Mix will depend on how old the dog is and on who you purchase or adopt the dog from. Puppies always cost more than adult or elderly dogs.
If you purchase your Chihuahua Maltese Mix from a reputable breeder, you can spend as much as $1000 (or more). If you adopt or purchase from a rescue organization, they are typically $500-$1000. You can purchase a puppy for as little as $300 but the low price may indicate that the puppy is from a puppy mill or that something was deemed “wrong” about the puppy.
How Long Do Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Live?
Chihuahua Maltese Mixes can live up to 15 years. Some even live longer. On average they live for 12-15 years. How long a Chihuahua Maltese will live depends on a number of factors.
- Genetics: how long did their parents, grandparents, great grandparents live?
- Medical Conditions: Are they born with or have they developed a medical condition that could affect their life span?
- Vet Check-ups: Are you keeping up-to-date with your vet?
- Diet: Is your dog being fed a healthy diet?
- Exercise: Is your dog getting the exercise it needs to stay healthy?
Are Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Easy to Train?
Whether a Chihuahua Maltese dog will be easy to train depends on which parent’s personality they have. Chihuahuas are often bold, strong personalities. This makes them harder to train. A Maltese on the other hand is generally easy to train.
If your Chihuahua Maltese mix has more of a Maltese personality then they will be easier to train and if they are more Chihuahua in personality, then they will be harder to train.
Are Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Aggressive?
A Chihuahua Maltese may be aggressive if they have more of a Chihuahua personality. Chihuahuas can be aggressive, bold barkers. Training and socializing from an early age is key to curbing their tendencies.
It is important to know that small children are often loud and may grab for a dog or its tail. This can frighten your Chihuahua Maltese. When scared a Chihuahua Maltese will respond defensively and often aggressively. They may bite. This is why they are not recommended for families with small children.
What Is the Best Age to Train a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Puppy?
The best time to train a Chihuahua Maltese starts at the age of 6 weeks. It is key to make certain they have been well socialized by the time they reach 14 weeks.
Even if your Chihuahua Maltese seems to be taking after their mellow Maltese parent, it is important to make sure they are socialized. A puppy may not yet exhibit its full personality, by the time it does it may be too late for successful training.
How Do You Discipline a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Puppy?
- Discipline your Chihuahua Maltese Puppy at the time of the offense. Just like small children, if you wait too long, they won’t remember why they are in trouble.
- Make sure to use a firm voice and strong body language.
- Be Consistent.
- Use Positive Reinforcement when possible. Give them a treat or special toy when they do the “right thing”.
- Distract or redirect your puppy towards better behavior.
- Use a squirt bottle or spray bottle as a last resort.
What Is Bad About a Chihuahua Maltese Mix?
The negatives of a Chihuahua Maltese mix are their potentially aggressive behavior around small children or when they feel threatened. In addition, they prefer to be the only dogs and often the only pets in the house.
Another thing to consider is that their loyalty to their owners often leads to anxiety when they are away from their owners for an extended period of time.
Can a Chihuahua Maltese Mix Protect You?
Both Chihuahuas and Maltese dogs are protective of their owners. Their small smize means they won’t be winning any fights with intruders or larger animals. However, their tendency to bark makes them a great warning system.
Be sure not to tune out their barking. Learn what their different barks mean so that if there is an intruder you can recognize that bark.
How Do You Bond With a Chihuahua Maltese Mix?
- Make sure your Chihuahua Maltese knows that you are the boss, the “alpha”.
- Communicate clearly and firmly.
- Feeding them on a regular schedule will build trust.
- Playing with them also builds trust.
- Respect your dog’s preferences. Whether their preferences are for napping or sleeping or play time.
- Spend time with your dog.
- Remain calm at all times.
- Pet your dog, make sure it is used to physical affection from its owners.
Can Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Be Left Alone?
From birth until the age of 6 months a Chihuahua Maltese puppy should not be left alone for more than 2 hours. After they reach 6 months, they can be left alone for up to 8 hours.
However, it is important to note that they will need a potty pad or a dog walker if you are going to be out of the house that long. In addition, they may suffer from increased anxiety if you are out of the house longer than typical or if you have an inconsistent schedule.
Do Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Like to Cuddle?
Most Chihuahua Maltese Mix Puppies love to cuddle. However, it is important to remember that if they make it clear they want space, you need to respect that wish. Some Chihuahua Maltese mixes will love cuddling. Others will prefer some cuddles and some time alone.
Are Chihuahua Maltese Mixes Lazy?
Chihuahua Maltese mixes are typically high energy dogs. However, they do enjoy being carried around by their owners. It is important to know that if they are left alone for long hours, they will become more sedentary and less energetic. They will also tire more easily.
The solution to this is simple. Make sure your Chihuahua Maltese has someone with them or a dog walker who comes to let them out if you will be gone for more than four hours.